Command and General Staff College (CGSC)

1,404 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by GarryowenAg
txaggie_06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So I am scheduled to start this in the next few week. Initially was scheduled to go to a satellite campus, but due to COVID it will now be online via blackboard. I was wanting to get some advice/tips from those that have already done this. Or just some good stories from when others were having to deal with this.

Anything is helpful and appreciated.
AGhistorian
So I'm not sure if you're still doing the Satellite campus version (4 months straight through finishing up Common Core), and it will just be held on blackboard?

Or if you are being pushed into one of the TASS versions (mainly Reserve folks with some AD, divided into three phases, done in one two week session, eight monthly weekend drills, and another two week session).

Or is you are being pushed into the pure DL self-paced version (if you are doing this version I'm sorry, I here it is terrible).

Either way I can comment on my experience doing the TASS version, online via blackboard. They have had us meeting on Blackboard Virtual Classroom because of COVID. It's very similar to doing Zoom or Google Classroom. They still have to meet in class from 8-5 each day and go through each of the courses, have discussions, do briefings etc..

So there are very few changes from the in person version. It is a bit more convenient in to be in your house doing it, but you probably do lose a bit in the fluidity of the discussion.

As for the course material, they make claims about it being graduate level, this is a joke in my opinion. A portion of it it similar to an undergrad political science course on national security, the history portion is decent but still very much at the undergrad level. The leadership curriculum is puzzlingly simplistic. If you have experience in the Force Development then the force development block won't be anything new.

As a whole the course does take a fair bit of time, but I would not call it challenging. There is a lot of what seems to be busy work, and the mandatory writing style that they make you use is horrendous. Expect to spend a lot of time doing the reading and some of the assignments, but they focus more on form than content.

I can't say I've learned much of anything of value in the course. It seems to me it's just a hoop to jump through. That's my take on it, others may have a different view.

txaggie_06
AG
Thanks for you take on it. I am set to do the Satellite campus version (4 months via blackboard). From what you are saying it sounds like it is going to be time management and how well you can write according to their style. This should be fun. Now I just have to cross my fingers that actual work leaves me alone.
GarryowenAg
AG
I'm scheduled to go to Fort McCoy for my phase 1 of CGSC in July. Hopefully it doesn't get moved to blackboard. I had a couple counterparts in my unit take all three phases thru blackboard and it was extremely painful from what I saw. Good luck.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.