Army ATC

1,943 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by D2F1D0
zaab
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My last post about Fort Rucker showed me that there are several Army Aviators on this forum. My son is currently in AIT at Fort Rucker (15Q) to become an ATC and wanted to make a career of it afterwards. Hes been told many things both good and bad about being an Army ATC but thought we could talk about it and give him some advice when he gets home during HBL.

First thing he said was hes at a disadvantage being in the army because its mostly Rotary and not much fixed wing. What can he do to get experience with Fixed wing?

Are there any other things he can do or pursue while in the Army to help prepare for a career afterwards (I know, very open ended question with limitless careers but he wants to stay in aviation). He badly wants to go to Korea or anywhere outside CONUS. He just doesn't get a lot of info about whats available to him in school right now.

I have a friend who's a director at the DFW radar facility that said he would help where he could getting into the FAA and any school he needed.

I'm sure I dont know what to ask here so any input would be appreciated. I will say that he was surprised as to the community in the Army air family so far, especially compared to some of his buddies from boot camp who are in different AIT's.

TIA
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
You might cross post to outdoors board. It gets a lot more traffic.
Fly Army 97
He's in a great MOS. Each Combat Aviation Brigade has an ATC Company within the General Support Aviation Battalion, but every BN uses them when fighting (or training as a task organization). No matter where he goes, he will most likely deploy to Europe, Afghanistan, or elsewhere. If he is asked where he wants to go Korea is a good opportunity to get away and see parts of the world. Keep in mind the Army also has two two ATC Battalions...one at Fort Bragg, 3-58 AOB, and one in Korea (I think).

As for fixed wing/rotary wing controlling...I am not an expert, but my Command Sergeant Major (CSM) was a former ATC guy and I have commanded an organization with ATC personnel. Your son will get a 'pink card' to show the many Army equipment licenses he will obtain in our many ATC systems. I am a big fan of these things systems because our controllers can really stretch our means to communicate and move around in the field. To get a rating that's 'FAA' certified, he will need to work at a fixed facility and there is a little bit of luck involved there, because not everyone works near a fixed facility in which Army 15Qs control the local airspace (Fort Rucker has a lot). They take Soldiers through 6-7 months of training and evaluation to become a Control Tower Operator.

All that to day, his (well kept) training records, pink card, and potential CTO rating can build his resume for later. If he wants to stay aviation, a lot of kids apply for ATC jobs and can be successful regardless of rotary wing or fixed wing centric facilities in which they work...but I think he will lack radar operator experience. Rotary wing airfield handle a lot of sorties in addition to Ground Controlled Approaches (GCAs). They also handle fixed wing, though less than most airports.

I'll be at Rucker next month if he wants to talk. My former CSM is also retired at Rucker if your son wants to talk to an old timer. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

zaab
AG
Fly Army, Reach out to me at chrisuren

Thank you
CharlieBrown17
AG
Nature of the beast regarding not getting fixed wing experience being army ATC but Fort Polk and Gray Army Air Field both have their own approach control and not just tower like Lawson ( Fort Benning ). Not sure if those are manned by contractors typically or Army. Seem to remember Polk sounding like military controllers the couple times I've flown in there.

Long story short, a base farther from big cities will most likely have a better chance to get approach/radar control experience versus one near a big city. Lawson approach control is handled by Atlanta. This is all from the other side of the radio so it's worth what ya paid for it
Vepp
As someone on active duty, I'll add this.. if your son wants to go to Korea then he will go to Korea. If he isn't assigned initially then have him talk to HRC. They always have open spots for Korea, almost irregardless of MOS.
agAngeldad
I am FAA ATC. As long as he has a military rating as ATC he will get in easily and will get all the training he needs. I have 40 years and have seen military from all branches make it. Ill be glad to talk with you
agAngeldad
Sent you a pm
LewisChilds
AG
I loved Korea, cant recommend it enough
D2F1D0
AG
I'm a FW (fixed wing) and RW (rotary) army aviator and worked directly with ATC at multiple installations. The difference for ATC between FW and RW is inconsequential. RW can slow down a lot (and even hover if the pilot can figure it out .
Most army installations routinely have FW traffic. A few places like Fort Riley, KS don't, but those places are rare.
We will spend the majority of his time with RW since the vast preponderance of Army Aviation is RW (14 RW brigades v 1 FW brigade).

Like everyone else said, of he wants Korea is will most likely get it. If he ends up at one of the ATS battalions he will see a lot different side of the Army than being part of a CAB.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.