August 5, 1967

2 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Trench55
Trench55
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Fifty-three years ago today a young Viet Cong soldier fired a round from a captured U.S. M-79 grenade launcher. That grenade landed less than six feet away from me, and I still have most of the shrapnel inside me. Occasionally, I wonder what happened to that young soldier who was my enemy. Who was he? Did he survive the war? I hope so. If so, is he still alive, and what has his life been like since? Of course, no one can answer these questions, but occasionally I wonder.
Texarkanaag69
AG
Profound thoughts and questions. If you were to meet him what would you say?
Hey Nav
AG
I'm very glad you survived and are here to post this. How has your life been these past 53 years? It's my prayer that it has been productive and happy.
Trench55
AG
Texarkanaag69 - I'd probably shake his hand and congratulate him on a well placed shot. I've never held any animosity toward the folks we fought in Vietnam, and with time and age, I've come to realize that our involvement in Vietnam was the result of decisions this country made going back to the end of WWII.

Hey Nav - My life has been good. I majored in Wildlife Management at A&M, and started working for the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service between my sophomore and junior years. I was on military furlough from FWS during my four years active duty and ended up retiring from FWS in '98 after a 35 year career with a comfortable retirement. So, yes, life has been good.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.