Ross Volunteers? Sul Ross scholarships?

2,218 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by falcon09
Strong Men Armed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Beyond his statue, the legacy of Sul Ross is felt strongly in the Corps of Cadets. I would venture that thousands of cadets have been awarded Sul Ross scholarships. Many very generous Ags have endowed those scholarships. Now what?

And the Ross Volunteers? Must that unit be renamed?

Finally, the most important question: when is enough, enough?
JABQ04
AG
Strong Men Armed said:

Finally, the most important question: when is enough, enough?

Never.
2004FIGHTINTXAG
They pulled down a statue of Ulysses S. Grant in San Francisco this week. I'm beginning to think their logic now is that if it's a white male then it comes down.
AGhistorian
I think it's worth considering renaming them.

The scholarship name is easy to change why not name them Turney W. Leonard Scholarships? There are plenty of great Aggies to choose from.

Ross Volunteers wasn't even the original name, weren't they Scott's Volunteers until 1898? It would be pretty easy to find other suitable names. What about Rudder's Volunteers (RV)? You wouldn't even have to change the initials.

Either way then those things wouldn't be named after someone who committed treason against the United States. So I don't really think it would be a big deal.
Mayor West
AG
2004FIGHTINTXAG said:

They pulled down a statue of Ulysses S. Grant in San Francisco this week. I'm beginning to think their logic now is that if it's a white male then it comes down.

Except Lenin
munch96
AG
Mayor West said:

2004FIGHTINTXAG said:

Except Lenin

Or Robert Byrd
falcon09
AG
AGhistorian said:

I think it's worth considering renaming them.

The scholarship name is easy to change why not name them Turney W. Leonard Scholarships? There are plenty of great Aggies to choose from.

Ross Volunteers wasn't even the original name, weren't they Scott's Volunteers until 1898? It would be pretty easy to find other suitable names. What about Rudder's Volunteers (RV)? You wouldn't even have to change the initials.

Either way then those things wouldn't be named after someone who committed treason against the United States. So I don't really think it would be a big deal.
They weren't Ross Volunteers in 1887 because Ross wasn't the President of the college yet. They renamed it after he passed in 1898. It's also works well that Ross was a governor of Texas and the RVs are the official honor guard of the governor.

While I agree that Leonard, Rudder and many other great Aggies deserve to be remembered and have things from scholarships to buildings on campus named after them, I don't think we need to rename everything associated with Ross.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.