Marines at President's CV press conference

1,889 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Rabid Cougar
sharpdressedman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I noticed they were standing in what appeared to be a modified "Parade Rest" stance, with their gloved hands placed flat and atop their belt-buckles. Is there a descriptive name for this stance and reason for the positioning of the hands? Thanks in advance.
Article 58-10 Offender
Do you have a link or a picture? I'll ask our SgtMaj.
74OA
AG
CLIP but no explanation.......
Article 58-10 Offender
Did a little research (ok i just texted a few 8999s), and found out this is a modified parade rest that is specific to the White House and 8th & I
74OA
AG
But why? Does it have a functional purpose specific to WH sentry duties? Just curious......
Article 58-10 Offender
Almost certainly no functional purpose. All those WH and 8th & I Marines do is parades and ceremonial stuff. I'll see if I can find out more info
74OA
AG
Easier to grab the door handle in time? <shrug>
Article 58-10 Offender
I stand corrected. It seems that it actually may have a functional purpose. From a friend of mine:

Not 100% positive, but I think it has something to do with keeping the arms from falling asleep from standing at the normal parade rest for long periods of time.
74OA
AG
Article 58-10 Offender said:

I stand corrected. It seems that it actually may have a functional purpose. From a friend of mine:

Not 100% positive, but I think it has something to do with keeping the arms from falling asleep from standing at the normal parade rest for long periods of time.
That was my initial thought, although the video says they are relieved every 30 minutes. That is a long time at strict parade rest, though.
Article 58-10 Offender
Thirty minutes is definitely a long time at parade rest, especially in blues. ESPECIALLY if it's hot. Makes sense.
sharpdressedman
Article 58 and 74,
Thanks very much for your feedback.
Rabid Cougar
AG
Cool!
I always thought "how the hell do they know when to open the door when someone was coming from inside?"

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.