Cleaning out my Grandfathers place and discover an A&M box

4,214 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by CanyonAg77
45-70Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
He's moving into an assisted living facility and came across his A&M stuff.
This is just a small sample of what I've found, hundreds of things in the box.
https://imgur.com/a/NyMVqQ4

I give up.
chickencoupe16
AG

I don't know how to get a bigger picture, but there's that. Pretty cool items. I'd love to see more. I'd be really curious to see how the campusologies have changed over the years.
45-70Ag
AG
I wasn't in the corps but is the AMC brass what would have been considered corps brass back then?

Thanks for helping with the pic.
Quad Dog
AG
I'd want to see the Campusologies in that book. Curious how they've changed.
AgSpirit581
AG
it's just AMC brass, it's not corps brass. I don't have a jpg handy but If you google A&M corps brass its the one with a knights head that says "Per Unitatum Vis" over the top.
45-70Ag
AG
Some of the campusology

https://imgur.com/a/EpVbNrj
45-70Ag
AG
Cookie Pusher was my favorite.......rah rah boys, male students of coed colleges.
ABATTBQ87
AG
Irish_Man said:

He's moving into an assisted living facility and came across his A&M stuff.
This is just a small sample of what I've found, hundreds of things in the box.
https://imgur.com/a/NyMVqQ4

I give up.
Grandpa was a BQ and wore a Band Lyre. He was a member of the Drum and Bugle Corps and wore the Hochmuth Cord AKA the Aggie Band Cord.
JABQ04
AG
Very interesting on the camousologies. I'm curious of the 6 MOH recipients and who the 7th added during my time 50 years later I'll have to research that one. . Weird to see how the campos changed over time.
ABATTBQ87
AG
JABQ04 said:

Very interesting on the camousologies. I'm curious of the 6 MOH recipients and who the 7th added during my time 50 years later I'll have to research that one. . Weird to see how the campos changed over time.
I have my dad's campusology book from the fall of 1954
JABQ04
AG
How many MOH recipients are listed in his? The one Irish shares had 6 but there were 7 from my campos.
aggiejim70
AG
I remember being at a graduation, I think it was my late class of '72 brother-in-law. The 7th recipient had won the MOH, was enrolling at A&M, and was introduced during the ceremonies. I'm open for correction on this.

Irish, the blue patch is for participation in the Drum and Bugle Corps and was worn on the sleeve of his class "A" blouse.

The AMC patch tells me you granddad was class of '68 or before.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
CanyonAg77
AG
CanyonAg77
AG
Top right is a Senior belt buckle. Don't know what to think about the belt buckle with the pilot's wings. Perhaps, he pulled that out if he got a pilot slot. Or maybe it was from his days after commissioning and in pilot training?

Also find it interesting that his AMC brass looks like steel, rather than brass. May just be the way it photographed.
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

Sergeant George D. Keathley '37

Major Horace S. Carswell, Jr. '38

Lieutenant Eli L. Whiteley '41

Lieutenant Turney W. Leonard '42

Sergeant William G. Harrell '43

Lieutenant Lloyd H. Hughes '43

Lieutenant Thomas W. Fowler '43
It's my recollection that we did not claim Carswell during my days at A&M, as he started at A&M, but graduated from TCU.

And there is an 8th now, is there not? A Vietnam era vet who attended A&M sometime after Vietnam?

There was also a guy who received a MOH in WWI, and claimed he was an A&M grad. He was later taken off the list, as he has a notorious teller of tall tales. I think he actually got the MOH, it was being an Aggie that he lied about....among hundreds of other things.
45-70Ag
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Top right is a Senior belt buckle. Don't know what to think about the belt buckle with the pilot's wings. Perhaps, he pulled that out if he got a pilot slot. Or maybe it was from his days after commissioning and in pilot training?

Also find it interesting that his AMC brass looks like steel, rather than brass. May just be the way it photographed.

I did find some things of his from his time in the air force in the box. Most of that stuff was in another box but that buckle got mixed in. Thanks for clarifying it wasn't an A&M buckle because I wasn't sure. There's about ten more AMC pens in there, I believe they're brass.

Someone mentioned his class year and he was class of '58. He really liked the band, said it almost made him flunk out his freshman year due to the time it took away from studying. He said the late nights in the dorm his first year were entertaining with how creative guys got in messing with you.
ABATTBQ87
AG
JABQ04 said:

How many MOH recipients are listed in his? The one Irish shares had 6 but there were 7 from my campos.
6 MOH in the 54 Campo book
ABATTBQ87
AG
1955 Aggieland: Donald Oakes

ABATTBQ87
AG
Irish_Man said:

CanyonAg77 said:

I did find some things of his from his time in the air force in the box. Most of that stuff was in another box but that buckle got mixed in. Thanks for clarifying it wasn't an A&M buckle because I wasn't sure. There's about ten more AMC pens in there, I believe they're brass.

Someone mentioned his class year and he was class of '58. He really liked the band, said it almost made him flunk out his freshman year due to the time it took away from studying. He said the late nights in the dorm his first year were entertaining with how creative guys got in messing with you.
My dad is C Armor Class of 1958
45-70Ag
AG
That's him.
I found his Aggieland yearbooks yesterday.
With everything going on, looking forward to sitting down in the evenings and looking at these.
CanyonAg77
AG
Irish_Man said:

I wasn't in the corps but is the AMC brass what would have been considered corps brass back then?

Thanks for helping with the pic.
Perhaps more senior posters can help, but I'll try to explain. What's known today as Corps Brass didn't come into use until after the Army dropped branching in ROTC, maybe in the 1950s or 1960s. You joined an artillery, armor, infantry, air corps, etc. cadet unit, and you wore your AMC on one collar as a fish, and your branch (such as crossed rifles for infantry) on the other. I believe the AMC went on the wearer's right.

In my day, you'd wear Corps Brass or Band Lyre where the branch used to be, and the AMU as a fish, on the other. As you hit PH year and above, the AMU, and, I assume, the AMC back in the day, would be replaced by your cadet rank.

You would still use the AMC/AMU on your Class A "Ike jacket", on the lapels, as you see in the Longhorn/Aggieland photos. Look at the 1st SGT and XO pics of the Maroon Band posted above. The junionr 1st SGT had AMCs high on the lapel, and a Band Lyre below. The XO has his branch insignia, Signal Corps, instead of a Band Lyre.

Another question for the older guys, did seniors in the Band wear branch, instead of Band Lyre?

In any case, the Class A blouse in my day would have been worn as the 1st SGT is, with AMUs instead of AMCs. Rank was pinned on the epaulets.
74OA
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

..........may well have polished the brass veneer off, revealing the base metal?
BQ78
AG
I just inherited that Aggieland and the three prior, it was my dad's senior year in the band. He passed in October and mom just died recently.
93Spur
Man, what a treasure of history.

Suggestion from someone who has been there, and learned from it -

Take the box, your phone, and sit down regularly - lots of times - with your grandfather, turn on the audio recorder, turn on the video recorder (yeah, its redundant audio), and use every item to start a story of "Tell me about this..."
So many potential stories about Old Army days.
Available now, otherwise lost at some time in the future. But gotta make the effort.

Wish I had done so with my grandfather on his Aggie stuff.
45-70Ag
AG
Thanks for the idea.
Once his assisted living place is accepting visitors, I'm going to do this
OldArmy71
AG
Corps '71 here. Thanks for posting.

I have my dad's (Class of '44) campusology, which was a small hardbound book called The Cadence.
Rabid Cougar
AG
74OA said:

CanyonAg77 said:

..........may well have polished the brass veneer off, revealing the base metal?
Probably tarnished. Brasso will reveal the answer.
45-70Ag
AG
I'm going to get some brasso the next time i can stomach going into Walmart. I'll post a pic of what it looks like.
74OA
AG
Irish_Man said:

I'm going to get some brasso the next time i can stomach going into Walmart. I'll post a pic of what it looks like.
Oh my god, noooooo, remove its patina and you'll destroy its value. <Antiques Roadshow voice>

I should have tried that line on my pisshead squad leader. Not.
45-70Ag
AG
There's ten of these things in here. I'll expirement with one.
Texarkanaag69
AG
That is part of the era that truly can be considered "Old Army." Gig 'em.
45-70Ag
AG
MSC ash tray

Found it sitting in his wood shop
45-70Ag
AG
Articles of the Cadet Corps

https://imgur.com/a/RbaH3QY
Post removed:
by user
CanyonAg77
AG
Irish_Man said:

MSC ash tray

Found it sitting in his wood shop
You have to link the image address, not the entire web page. And maybe clean out the bugs, first?

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.