So my son is interested in going to West Point...

3,415 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PanzerAggie06
Tailgate88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I posted this on AO and someone suggested I post it here too.

Howdy Ags,

As the title says, my son is interested in going to West Point and I knew this was the right place to come to for advice and information. He is currently a Junior in high school. Academically, he should have no problem. His high school GPA is above a 4.0 and he just got a 1360 on his SAT (first time to take it). ACT is scheduled for January.

This is something that came up because he took the ASVAB and nailed it, so the recruiters started calling. He expressed interest in West Point and now we are getting regular mail, email and text messages from the West Point recruiting officer. I did not serve in the military, but both of his grandfathers did. He is a great kid, never gets in trouble, will be an Eagle Scout in the Spring. (Honestly a lot better of a kid than I was!) We are super proud.

We are an Aggie family. My wife, my oldest daughter and I are all former students. Those of us who didn't go to A&M still bleed maroon. He had always planned to go to A&M. I was in the Aggie Band for a year (had to drop out for financial reasons and it's one of the biggest regrets of my life that I wasn't able to do all four years). Some our best family friends are former Aggie Bandsmen families. I'd be lying if I said a part of me wouldn't be slightly disappointed for him to not "follow in my footsteps". But, I am no fool and understand that if he could get into West Point, that would be an incredible opportunity.

Questions:

1) Who should I talk to at A&M about what his options would be if either wasn't accepted to West Point or he chose to go to A&M instead. I believe he would still want to take a contract and go into the military etc. I assume the military has a similar deal where they pay for your school etc. provided you are commissioned after graduation and agree to a certain number of years in the military.

2) The Aggie Network vs. being a West Point grad: compare and contrast please.

3) Any other experiences and advice are much appreciated. Obviously this is a huge decision for him and us, and I greatly value the input and advice from this forum.

Thanks in advance and Gig 'em!
HollywoodBQ
AG
My youngest did the spend the night with the Corps at A&M and at Virginia Tech. We only toured the VMI campus but ironically, that's where she wound up going to school.

Does your son have any particular affinity towards the Army and thus towards West Point? I've never been to West Point but I have been to the USAFA in Colorado Springs many times and I've toured The Naval Academy at Annapolis. All of the service academies are great.

There are scholarship opportunities with all of the branches of service. I recommend contacting COL Sam Hawes with A&M Corps Recruiting.
https://corps.tamu.edu/recruiting/

The obvious differences between Texas A&M and West Point is going to be national/international recognition versus regional/national recognition. Although as much as I hate to admit it, in the post-Manziel era, we are the only college that is referred to as "A&M".

Since West Point is going to draw nationally, from every state and every congressional district, you would see more alumni from across the USA. Obviously A&M is going to be concentrated in Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, Austin, etc. I'll let others comment on the Active Duty networking since I only served in the Texas Army National Guard where we didn't see too many West Pointers during my era.

As far as your son applying, if he is serious about serving and doing a Corps of Cadets type program, I would also encourage him to check out Virginia Tech, VMI, The Citadel, Norwich, etc.

I was heartbroken when I found out that my youngest would not be attending Texas A&M but, I can say that participation in the "Rat Line" at Virginia Military Institute and being part of the Dyke Line system has been an amazing experience.

Because the Aggie Band and big time Texas A&M Football was such a big part of my college experience, it is strange to see a school with a Corps of Cadets where Football is only a small part of the equation. And I guess that leads to the other compare and contrast difference which is, going to a school where the Corps is only a small part of the campus versus where the Corps of Cadets is the entire campus. I like the A&M system but, the others such as West Point have their merits too. And of course the real kicker is that West Point is"free". Good Luck!
Outlaw0206
AG
Tailgate88 said:

Questions:

1) Who should I talk to at A&M about what his options would be if either wasn't accepted to West Point or he chose to go to A&M instead. I believe he would still want to take a contract and go into the military etc. I assume the military has a similar deal where they pay for your school etc. provided you are commissioned after graduation and agree to a certain number of years in the military.

3) Any other experiences and advice are much appreciated. Obviously this is a huge decision for him and us, and I greatly value the input and advice from this forum.

A West Point admission is a great honor and should always be treated as such. I have been in the Army for 6 years active duty and most of the answers I have deal with my interactions with my peers that graduated from West Point.

1. Obviously if he went to West Point his school is completely paid for. With A&M, the only way for that to happen would be if he received a scholarship of some sort. This could come in various forms. An ROTC 4 year scholarship is the only thing that would require him to do military service. Other scholarship opportunities exist through Texas A&M and the Corps of Cadets.

2. While West Point has a great network, I do not believe it is any near as great as the Aggie network. I don't mean that in a bad way at all. The thing with West Point is that everyone graduates and goes on active duty. People do various years of service, from 4-20 + and then leave. From what I have noticed, people that graduate from West Point are not great at networking at all. I don't know if it is because they have never had to do it while in college or what the case is, but it is not a strong point from them. I am a firm believer that relationships matter when it comes to being successful in the military and private job sector. A good amount of West Point grads I know do not seem to grasp that concept. They go to school for 4 years, it is academically rigorous, and they learn how to be a military leader. The part that is missing at West Point is how to interact with people that are not like you, the common public.

With A&M & the Corps, you get really great exposure to networking. Most of the people you work with in the classroom and around campus are going to leave school and not go to the military. These relationships you build while in school really set you up for success down the road. I have many friends from A&M that I graduated with who have told me when I am ready to leave the military that they will have a job waiting on me. I think there is just certain value from going to school with people who are not all going to the military and learning how to interact/ work with the common person that goes a long way.

3. I tell all my Soldiers that the military is not a lifetime commitment. There is a world and life beyond it. So ensure that you weight that as well. I have the upmost respect my peers from West Point. They get a world class education and I'm sure most of them have no issues getting a job beyond the military.

A&M provided me a college experience and allowed me to still excel as a leader. I would argue with anyone that the Corps produces better leaders than the service academies, IF you put the effort into it. The Corps allows you to fail and make decisions without an active duty CPT inspecting every decision. At West Point each company is provided a CPT that watches their every move. In the Corps you have 1 retired officer for 4 companies. Good & bad, but this allowed me to make mistakes as a leader and learn from them rather than having someone make every decision for me as a growing leader. It has paid off now because while my peers trip over themselves when trying to make a decision, I have been prepared for that.

I am happy to answer any questions you have & apologies if this is a little long. West Point or A&M, you can't go wrong. 2 great institutions that will set your son up for success no matter where life takes him.

2004FIGHTINTXAG
If his goal is to commission into the Army, then the end state is the same whether WP, ROTC, or OCS. I personally would prefer to not be locked in prison for four years of college to gain a commission when I could enjoy my four years and still commission through ROTC or OCS.

I did all four years of the Corps and then commissioned through OCS. Zero regrets.
neutics
AG
Outlaw0206 said:

2. While West Point has a great network, I do not believe it is any near as great as the Aggie network. I don't mean that in a bad way at all. The thing with West Point is that everyone graduates and goes on active duty. People do various years of service, from 4-20 + and then leave. From what I have noticed, people that graduate from West Point are not great at networking at all. I don't know if it is because they have never had to do it while in college or what the case is, but it is not a strong point from them. I am a firm believer that relationships matter when it comes to being successful in the military and private job sector. A good amount of West Point grads I know do not seem to grasp that concept. They go to school for 4 years, it is academically rigorous, and they learn how to be a military leader. The part that is missing at West Point is how to interact with people that are not like you, the common public.

With A&M & the Corps, you get really great exposure to networking. Most of the people you work with in the classroom and around campus are going to leave school and not go to the military. These relationships you build while in school really set you up for success down the road. I have many friends from A&M that I graduated with who have told me when I am ready to leave the military that they will have a job waiting on me. I think there is just certain value from going to school with people who are not all going to the military and learning how to interact/ work with the common person that goes a long way.
Respectfully, this is not accurate so allow me to add my perspective as a USMA grad, with a masters from A&M.

The West Point network is flat out 'better' anywhere outside of Texas. Perhaps because you are not a grad you are likely not aware of the breadth or depth of the network that exists. I can reach out to a grad at virtually any company or industry and it's almost guaranteed they will respond and go out of their way to help you at least get an interview or connect you to the right people. My experience at Mays leveraging the vaunted Aggie network was about 50% of the time they would either ignore the request or respond politely and it would stop there. My wife is an A&M undergrad and is the first to admit West Point's network is superior...said no comparison in terms of the way I can make meaningful connections anywhere. Yes, the Aggie network is likely larger though nowhere near as powerful in terms of networking. West Point creates a much stronger shared experiences than A&M, even for those in the Corps, which translates into an unspoken trust among the select few that graduate.

I'd suggest the OP also search previous posts as this has been discussed to death. I've added my hopefully balanced perspective as someone who also taught on the ROTC faculty at A&M and admitted there are other advantages to that route vs. an academy. It all depends on your son's goals within the military and after service.
acer_16
AG
FWIW, my dad attended USNA, I always thought I was going to do the same thing until I decided last minute that Maryland was too far away and maybe I wasn't sure about the military. So I decided that Texas A&M and the Corps was a great fit for getting some of the similar military experience. After a year of ROTC and the Corps I decided I had enough and so I became a non-reg and finished up my engineering degree with a beard and a good amount of freedom. Well after a few internships and getting close to graduation I again had the itch to serve in the military, so I applied and was accepted for Navy OCS and now I'm a few years in as a commissioned officer and loving it. My point is that your son has a few different options if he decides to serve and everyone seems to take their own path when deciding if the military is right for them. Personally I wouldn't trade my years of freedom in college for anything, especially now that the military seems to encompass my whole life, but plenty of people attend a service academy and do 20+ so I guess it comes down to personal preference. Now it is nice to have the government pay for school but between having open summers to do internships and A&M's generous scholarship programs it really wasn't much of an additional financial burden for me to pay my own way, although every situation is different.
StrangeLuv
AG
I went to A&M for 2 years, then "started over" again at the Air Force Academy. If had to do it again, I wouldn't. The "prison" comparison is accurate. That's the time in your life when you should be out experiencing life. All the youthful energy is wasted, standing in formation and inspections. College should be a great time, not something to be endured.

If he wants to be in the military, I'd look to the Air Force Guard or Reserve and become an air line pilot afterwards... easiest part time job in the world.

Good luck.
Tango_Mike
A&M is good. USMA is excellent.

The Aggie Network is good for waving hello within the Austin-Dallas-Houston triangle. It will not get you a job outside of Texas. I've gotten job offers from USMA grads because I taught there and I'm not even a grad. If you need prof the Aggie Network is a myth, read through the backbiting and hatred on the football forum.

A&M produces a lot of research. It does not care about teaching quality. USMA produces almost zero A-journal research. It cares exclusively about teaching quality. Before someone chimes in about research making you better in your field - I've got a PhD in finance, it doesn't mean I know any current case studies.

I graduated from A&M. The distribution of talent at USMA is orders of magnitude narrower - and shifted significantly right - than even the contract kids at A&M.
cavscout96
AG
When did you teach at USMA? I have several accounts from close associates who also taught there that run counter to your assessment.

Admittedly, theses are from about 10 years ago, but they were pretty negative WRT quality of academics and rigor at that point in time. These weren't TAC officers either; academic classroom faculty in science and tech fields.

Things may have changed, but based on their comments, I'm not buying into the "WP is acadmecally a cut above" propaganda.

Also anecdotally, the distribution of high quality leaders is on par with the other commissioning sources.

One place where USMA absolutely excels...perpetuating the long gray line narrative.

In the end, in my experience, they're nothing particularly special, but they sure think they are and do a great job of blowing their own horn(s).

AnchorFoundation
Tailgate88 said:

Questions:

Thanks in advance and Gig 'em!
2. Networking opportunities should not factor into making a decision on where to go to school... in my opinion. I went to USMA to take an opportunity to become an army officer. If your son wants to do that, there is no better opportunity (but I'm biased). Free school with great education and training then a guaranteed job in the Army when complete (sounds a lot like what the democrat candidates want too!).

Networking is overrated. What happened to getting stuff done of one's own accord?

3. Just my experience, but I wouldn't have changed a thing 20+ years ago. I lacked discipline at 18-19 and would have been doing the same stupid things, with the same stupid kids, in the same town I had always been a part of. I needed to get away from Aggieland with those opportunities temporarily removed. The "college experience" may be different, but experiences are what we make of them in the moment.

There are some great visitation opportunities at the academies that let you experience cadet life overnight, well worth attending to help make an informed decision.
Tango_Mike
cavscout96 said:

When did you teach at USMA? I have several accounts from close associates who also taught there that run counter to your assessment.

Admittedly, theses are from about 10 years ago, but they were pretty negative WRT quality of academics and rigor at that point in time. These weren't TAC officers either; academic classroom faculty in science and tech fields.

Things may have changed, but based on their comments, I'm not buying into the "WP is acadmecally a cut above" propaganda.

Also anecdotally, the distribution of high quality leaders is on par with the other commissioning sources.

One place where USMA absolutely excels...perpetuating the long gray line narrative.

In the end, in my experience, they're nothing particularly special, but they sure think they are and do a great job of blowing their own horn(s).

I left within the last 3 years. I was a junior rotator (MAJ) when I retired unexpectedly.

I never mean to dump on A&M when I give my opinions on these threads. I had a great time at A&M and I think I learned a lot in the Corps.

I got to USMA because I was in a 4-star's (GEN Bob Cone and GEN Dave Perkins) CIG as a special assistant/speech writer. They had both taught at USMA and told me to go - I never even applied. I was like every other Aggie - I despised West Point and all its graduates. I even wrote a Military Review article about the economic wastes of West Point.

But after teaching there for 3 years, I openly admit I was wrong.

I remember taking CHEM 102 at A&M with Dr. Dwight Conway and 400 of my closest friends. At USMA, every class is capped at 18 students - adding a 19th student to a section requires written approval from the Dean (the 1-star). Where Dr. Conway's review sessions were held on the first Monday after the harvest moon at 7:39pm by his non-English speaking research assistants, ALL teachers are available at USMA. There is a written policy that all professors are available 24/7 for students. Cadets would call/text at midnight getting help on homework. I would hold review sessions before exams in the hockey team's study room.

Because of the small classes, extremely high touch ratio, faculty availability, and "duty" (students are required to turn in all assignments even if 10 weeks late for no credit because it is their duty; unexcused tardiness to class results in 5 marching hours), the learning is much higher than what I experienced at A&M. Which means the teachers can expect a lot more, too. The curriculum itself is absurd, with every cadet taking 17-21 hours each semester.

To the poster above that said not having a TAC is good. Trial and error with no guidance is folly. TACs at USMA get master's degrees in leadership development from Columbia before they start. Their jobs are to ensure that the trial and error (and there is a lot) are done correctly. Having a retired LTC from 20 years ago drop by every few weeks does not help you learn. Teachers are expected to contribute to leader development as well, including communication with TACs to report good and bad behavior. Nobody goes out as a company commander in the big Army and does trial and error to see what they can do well. There is a battalion XO, S3, and CDR to guide them. Not having someone watch over you to correct you is absolutely not development.
TalonDoc
AG
Have him talk to the MALO (Military Admissions Liaison officer) for Westpoint.

I am currently the equivalent for USAFA (ALO or Admissions Liaison Officer).

I recommend having back up plans:

Apply to ALL academies. It is not that much extra work. You have to get congressional or presidential nominations for all the academies...I say for apply to nominations for all the academies. You can turn down the academies you don't want to attend if offered admissions to multiple.

I would also apply to ROTC scholarships if serious about military service. -->more backup plans.

MOST IMPORTANT for academy applications...make sure to apply to all congressional nominations categories you are eligible for: national congressman (1), both national senators (2 & 3), Vice Prez (4), and presidential (5 if either parent is a veteran). This only increases your probability of nomination and admission to an academy.

My $0.02 after doing this USAFA admissions thing for the last 3 years.

"The duty of the fighter pilot is to patrol his area of the sky, and shoot down any enemy fighters in that area. Anything else is rubbish." — Baron Manfred von Richthofen
Ramp5
AG
Aggie father here with a 2/C Midshipman son. My son got appointments to both USMA and USNA. I think everyone's experience is different but below are a few things I've learned.

1. Don't be the pushy parent! I'm convinced that if a kid decides to pursue this route, it needs to be all them. If they don't really want it there is a good chance they'll be miserable.

2. The whole application process is long and often stressful for the child and parents.

3. Have a backup plan ready to go. My son had secured his ROTC scholarship (Service Academies will know If they have applied and if they haven't, will question their desire) and was accepted to A&M. We even got our dorm deposit paid.

4. Apply to all of the Service Academies if you want to at least increase your chances of an option. Congressional nomination counts get complicated sometimes.

5. If "doing my 5 years and getting out and getting a great job" ever comes up in the process, you probably don't need to go this route.

6. If they get in, prepare yourself for a roller coaster of emotions, excitement and misery that plebe year. After that, it levels out nicely.

Hope that helps a little. Go Navy!
PanzerAggie06
AG
Outlaw0206 said:

I'm going to have to disagree with this statement. Vigiorusly disagree.

The West Point network inside of the Army is an unbelievably powerful machine. And the former cadets know how to take advantage of it. One of the main reasons for this is the experience and opportunity West Point cadets have to network while at the USMA. They will have access to some of the highest-ranking officers in the Army and also the highest-ranking civilians in the DOD. The people that flow in and out of West Point to speak and work with the cadets there is astonishing. They are exposed to those people in multiple situations the Corps at A&M can only dream about. One of the key differences I noticed with WP 2LTs, as opposed to 2LTs from other commissioning sources, is the ease in which the operated with superior officers. They were much more comfortable speaking with BN/BDE commanders. I attributed this to the fact they had, throughout their time at WP, dealt with not only numerous O5s and O6s but numerous GOs.

Outside of the Army, the West Point network is also quite impressive. This might not be born necessarily of the relationships they build at the USMA, rather it is born of what a degree from that school can offer them. A degree from WP is, in the minds of many people in the civilian world, akin to an Ivy League education. An elite school that produces an elite student. That matters when one enters the civilian world. It's going to open up a lot of doors that might not be available to a student from a state school in Texas.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.