Grandson Just Enlisted -- Army 35F Airborne 35F

5,387 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 45-70Ag
matureag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Grandson did not want to go back for second year of college and has enlisted in Army and leaving for basic training (Ft. Jackson) in January. Apparently an intel analyst job with airborne school at end of AIT sometime in July/August 2020. Anyone on here gone that route with comments as to job satsifaction, pros and cons? I tried to influence him with my former branch (USAF) but uncle (Army LtCol) won him over.
Naveronski
AG
Should have gone AF. Nicer facilities and bigger budgets.

Oh well.

Being able to run and do good pushups would be helpful, but most of what he needs to know will be beaten into him.
Hey Nav
AG
Did they tell Grandson that "Airborne" means he will be jumping out of perfectly good airplanes? Fortunately, Ft Benning is wonderful in July/August.

WBBQ74
AG
Hope he likes to run, do pushups, and chin-ups. And read maps.
G.W_Busch
AG
As someone who just finished BCT and is currently at AIT(different MOS), just tell him to be prepared for the most immature people he's ever met. Fort Jackson was basically the hood, and the trainees there had no sense of self-discipline or self-respect. I'm almost done with my AIT, only 3 more weeks, but I do wish I had gone Air Force or Navy. The level of intelligence and the standards are better in both those branches. The Army in my experience just pushed anyone and everyone through, even those who were undeserving, to retain a good attrition rate. With that being said, BCT is extremely easy, the drill sergeants weren't that bad, and the food wasn't terrible. I lost 20 lbs just based on how much we were outside and how humid it is. The PT is easy also. I do wish the DS were still allowed to hit trainees and that PT and smoke sessions lasted longer than 5-10 minutes. He'll make it through both with ease, as long as he doesn't draw negative attention to himself. Also, AIT is 10x worse than BCT in terms of lack of discipline. The DS at AIT don't give two rats what you do, it's a little frustrating, but I'm done in 3 weeks.
Naveronski
AG
What's your MOS and component?
JABQ04
AG
They don't call it Relaxin' Jackson for nothing.
G.W_Busch
AG
I'm an 88N. I already have my undergraduate degree, so I should've just went to OCS after BCT, but I didn't. I'm planning on going to A&M for my graduate degree then commissioning after that. My AIT is at Ft Lee. He'll be a year or 2 older than most people at basic, and with his college experience, he'll be one of the more mature soldiers there.
Naveronski
AG
No wonder it didn't blow you away. You're older and more disciplined than most other soldiers you were with. I was in the same position.
Tango_Mike
G.W_Busch said:

As someone who just finished BCT and is currently at AIT(different MOS), just tell him to be prepared for the most immature people he's ever met. Fort Jackson was basically the hood, and the trainees there had no sense of self-discipline or self-respect. I'm almost done with my AIT, only 3 more weeks, but I do wish I had gone Air Force or Navy. The level of intelligence and the standards are better in both those branches. The Army in my experience just pushed anyone and everyone through, even those who were undeserving, to retain a good attrition rate. With that being said, BCT is extremely easy, the drill sergeants weren't that bad, and the food wasn't terrible. I lost 20 lbs just based on how much we were outside and how humid it is. The PT is easy also. I do wish the DS were still allowed to hit trainees and that PT and smoke sessions lasted longer than 5-10 minutes. He'll make it through both with ease, as long as he doesn't draw negative attention to himself. Also, AIT is 10x worse than BCT in terms of lack of discipline. The DS at AIT don't give two rats what you do, it's a little frustrating, but I'm done in 3 weeks.
It's too late for you, but in order to not freak out the OP:

There is an exponential relationship between the distance from the maneuver company and the lack of discipline in a group of Soldiers. Infantrymen, scouts, and tankers are enthusiastically policed by their NCOs. Soldiers in the maneuver battalion FSC are close, but not quite. Supporters in the brigade support battalions are less disciplined. Supporters in division support brigades are even more undisciplined. Keep going.

By the time you get to the theater-level units, the impetus on personal discipline has virtually vanished.

The same phenomenon exists in TRADOC units as well. Drill sergeants at Benning, etc. are a lot more excitable than drill sergeants at Jackson. Fort Lee has a reputation of being one of the most... relaxed... posts in the Army.

You've never been in the Air Force or Navy, but I assure you that they are not failing any more people out of basic than the Army is.

*This is not an insult to any individual person. Of course there are strong officers and NCOs in sustainment brigades just like there are weak officers and NCOs in maneuver units.
PA24
AG
Your grandson made the right choice.

BQ88
AG
Congratulations to your grandson. I know you must be proud.

I've taken off in AF planes, but never landed in one. Safer to jump.

He'll enjoy the esprit de corps and the direct lineage back to WWII. It's an honorable profession.
Diyala Nick
AG
Tango Mike for the win. Get into a combat unit. The motivation and hoaah-ness will not be lacking.
Smeghead4761
I don't know how much recriuters use jump school as an enlistment incentive vs it being an indicator of where he'll be sent. Even if it was originally a recruiting incentive, it does increase the odds he'll be sent to an airborne unit.

Airborne units, especially the 82nd, tend to have a notably higher level of motivation and discipline than non-airborne units.

If he does get sent to an airborne unit, that means odds are he'll be going to Fort Bragg, NC. Three BCTs (each with their own -2 shop and MI Co), the 82nd division -2 shop, and the XVIII Corps -2 shop are all on jump status. There's also the two battalions of the 525th MI Bde, but they're not airborne.

Lesser possibilities would be Fort Richardson, AK, followed by Vincenza, Italy (Italy is a lesser probability because it's high demand from soldiers who are already in, and thus less spots to fill). A very small possibility of Fort Polk, LA - the OPFOR is actually an airborne battalion.

(A side note on OPFOR - assignments to Irwin and Polk are typically looked down on, but if you want to do a lot of the infantry/armor/artillery/combat engineer fun stuff in the field, all the time, they're great places, because THAT'S ALL THEY DO, ALL THE TIME. Yeah, geographically, those posts pretty much suck, but if you want to spend lots of time in the field doing soldier stuff, they're great.)
Diyala Nick
AG
Langenator said:

I don't know how much recriuters use jump school as an enlistment incentive vs it being an indicator of where he'll be sent. Even if it was originally a recruiting incentive, it does increase the odds he'll be sent to an airborne unit.

Airborne units, especially the 82nd, tend to have a notably higher level of motivation and discipline than non-airborne units.

If he does get sent to an airborne unit, that means odds are he'll be going to Fort Bragg, NC. Three BCTs (each with their own -2 shop and MI Co), the 82nd division -2 shop, and the XVIII Corps -2 shop are all on jump status. There's also the two battalions of the 525th MI Bde, but they're not airborne.

Lesser possibilities would be Fort Richardson, AK, followed by Vincenza, Italy (Italy is a lesser probability because it's high demand from soldiers who are already in, and thus less spots to fill). A very small possibility of Fort Polk, LA - the OPFOR is actually an airborne battalion.

(A side note on OPFOR - assignments to Irwin and Polk are typically looked down on, but if you want to do a lot of the infantry/armor/artillery/combat engineer fun stuff in the field, all the time, they're great places, because THAT'S ALL THEY DO, ALL THE TIME. Yeah, geographically, those posts pretty much suck, but if you want to spend lots of time in the field doing soldier stuff, they're great.)

As an added bonus, if you find places like Golden Coral a little high brow for your liking, Leesville, LA/Ft Polk will not disappoint!
JABQ04
AG
All in all I didn't mind Polk. Being stationed there is wayyy different than a JRTC rotation. Hell I requested it after Korea to be close to home and stay the hell outta a heavy unit.

There is a Chili's there now and a place called Wagon Master (think Roadhouse).
Diyala Nick
AG
I can almost imagine the Joe's at the Wagon Master bar as a type this....
Prime0882
AG
Airborne and intelligence analyst seems like an oxymoron. I cannot ever see a reason for a laptop carrying powerpoint jockey would need to jump into anywhere, but, that's just my personal opinion.

Be happy he went MI and the analyst position. This should set him up with a good clearance and a skillset that will be able to make money after they've served.
Smeghead4761
JRC0811 said:

Airborne and intelligence analyst seems like an oxymoron. I cannot ever see a reason for a laptop carrying powerpoint jockey would need to jump into anywhere, but, that's just my personal opinion.

Be happy he went MI and the analyst position. This should set him up with a good clearance and a skillset that will be able to make money after they've served.
You can still do good analysis with a notebook, pen, and maps, as long as you're receiving data/reports. You just have to be able to present it without Powerpoint.

Heck, I was a 59A (Strategic Planner) in the G-5 section of the 82nd division HQ. On jump status.
A.G.S.
AG
Hey Nav said:

Did they tell Grandson that "Airborne" means he will be jumping out of perfectly good airplanes? Fortunately, Ft Benning is wonderful in July/August.

Fun fact: That soldier sippin from the canteen cup now lives in BCS, and is a good friend of mine.
45-70Ag
AG
Before ocs, i enlisted after graduation from A&M and went to Benning, was branched infantry.

When we were leaving MEPS, they were lining us up by destination. I can remember what they said, if you're going to Jackson line up here.......you people will do nothing and get to eat desert

If you're going to Knox line up here..........you people get ride around and pretend you're almost disciplined.

If you're going to Benning line up here, you poor *******s chose poorly. Hope you like push ups
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.