Old Ag Senior Boots

1,852 Views | 1 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
clides
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have a coworker whose grandfather was in the Corps up until he enlisted in WWII in 1944 or 45. He was stationed state side in communications during his time in the Army. Once the war ended he came back to A&M and eventually graduated but was not allowed to be in the Corps ranks as he already had been Army reg. My understanding this happened to a lot of people in his class and the classes under him. Jump ahead to present and his big regret was that he was not allowed to return to the Corps and eventually receive his senior boots. He is now 93 years old. He has an interesting story and also a special connection with the Aggie War Hymn. Is there a way to honor someone in his situation with a pair of honorary boots or something to that effect?

This is my understanding hearing it from my coworker and some details I don't have and don't know if I have stated everything accurately but this is my best knowledge.

I have read that leather was rationed during WWII and that seniors had to buy their boots from former students.
Pro Sandy
AG
You can have a pair made by Holicks or find used online, but what might be an even better gift is a scholarship for senior boots in his name.

My great uncle was class of '43 but didnt graduate because he joined the war. My great aunt tried to get him a ring years later, but he refused. Though he had earned it, he felt it was only for those who completed their degree at A&M.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
There were lots of vets in the Corps including me ! Corps Dorm 12 was all Vets !

No Corps - No boots !
BigJim49AustinnowDallas
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.