MRE talk...

5,595 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by munch96
munch96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I was watching this video on a review of one of the new MRE menu items and it was noted that there was no coffee included. Looked to be the same for 2018. When did instant coffee stop becoming a standard item?

This guy does some interesting reviews. He even tried a pice of hard tack from the civil war...
Trinity Ag
S
I'm not sure how you survive Ranger school without coffee packets.

Its $%#&*@ communism.
Eliminatus
AG
****ing new army amirite?!
DevilD77
AG
Damn, I don'r drink coffee but I used to trade my coffee packets with other guys for their dried fruit bars. Never had a problem making the trade.
Noblemen06
AG
Monster, Bang, and the like have taken the place of coffee in today's military. All one needs is an energy drink coupled with cigarettes and/or dip to stay fueled for the fight.
Trinity Ag
S
Noblemen06 said:

Monster, Bang, and the like have taken the place of coffee in today's military. All one needs is an energy drink coupled with cigarettes and/or dip to stay fueled for the fight.
No problem so loss as they have easy access to energy drinks.

They are going to be disappointed when they get to Camp Darby!

And I expect one day they will find themselves in a non-permissive environment where we don't have the luxury of shipping tons of boxes full of Monster to deployed troops.
gibberish
AG
More MRE Talk and color surprised by these finding.
https://www.armytimes.com/off-duty/military-culture/2019/10/23/meals-refusing-to-exit-scientific-study-backs-long-held-belief-that-mres-make-it-harder-to-defacate/
APHIS AG
munch96 said:

I was watching this video on a review of one of the new MRE menu items and it was noted that there was no coffee included. Looked to be the same for 2018. When did instant coffee stop becoming a standard item?

This guy does some interesting reviews. He even tried a pice of hard tack from the civil war...
I remember my basic training in 1976 at Leonard Wood when we were given C-rations where the accessory packages were opened and the cigarettes that were in them removed.
munch96
AG
gibberish said:

More MRE Talk and color surprised by these finding.
https://www.armytimes.com/off-duty/military-culture/2019/10/23/meals-refusing-to-exit-scientific-study-backs-long-held-belief-that-mres-make-it-harder-to-defacate/

I'm shocked....shocked I tell you.
PanzerAggie06
AG
The term for that, at least when I was in, was rat f*****g. As there are not cigarettes in MREs the rat f*****s would focus on the MREs that had the good deserts. Normally the ones with M&Ms.
munch96
AG
I can't stop watching this guy eat these old rations...oddly very entertaining

clarythedrill
munch96 said:

Lets get this out on a tray....................Nice!
munch96
AG
Never had an issue with this MRE...

Moy
My favorite was the ham slice, eaten with crackers and cheese spread. For dessert, I'd pour a little water in the cocoa pouch and eat the sludge.
UTExan
munch96 said:

The peanut butter and turkey loaf were to be highly recommended for protein. And you got 4 cigarettes. Everything else in that ration blew chunks.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
japantiger
S
munch96 said:

Ham and eggs were absolutely the best C-rat...not even close. Change my mind!!!

However, my opinion was in the minority. There was a lot to like about them. Mostly weight. They were a great full meal in the small cans, so you could carry more which was hugely important. We could never carry enough food to eat a meal every day if you were out for more than a week. I used to rat **** the cases and load up on as much cheese and p'nut butter as possible; that way you had something for everyday. Ham/eggs, peaches and pound cake were a dream meal...if you could actually heat the C's, put some cheese in them and pour in some tobasco, stir them up and enjoy a delicious treat. Life's simple pleasures.
CharlieBrown17
AG
PanzerAggie06 said:

The term for that, at least when I was in, was rat f*****g. As there are not cigarettes in MREs the rat f*****s would focus on the MREs that had the good deserts. Normally the ones with M&Ms.

Skittles is a good steal too
munch96
AG
New 2020 MRE...replaces the hash browns...

TG15
AG
Sometime between 2014 and 2018ish I noticed I only get coffee in about half of the MREs. I don't think it depends on the meal you get either, it seems to be completely random. I started to just buy my own starbucks instant coffee packets that are the same thing, but taste better and are stronger.
aeon-ag
APHIS AG said:

munch96 said:

I remember my basic training in 1976 at Leonard Wood when we were given C-rations where the accessory packages were opened and the cigarettes that were in them removed.
I did basic at Ft. Jackson, 1970, the cigarettes were still in the acc. pack.
munch96
AG
Cigarette review in this one...

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.