Deciding between national guard or active duty army

1,551 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by cavscout96
Aggie118
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy ags, I've come here a couple of times and found some great advice throughout my Army ROTC "career" this far. I just returned from advance camp this summer so branching is coming up quickly.

As branching nears I have been kind of torn between whether I want to go active duty or national guard and have to decide here pretty quick. I'm a business major at TAMU and I've always been interested in starting my own business (I've had a few side hustles that have done pretty well). I've also noticed that the economy seems very favorable for going into the business world at the moment creating kind of a "strike while the iron is hot" moment. Another consideration, I plan on getting married within the next 1-2 years so maybe the guard would be a more favorable route? I want to branch either Field Artillery or Armor and am pretty confident I can get either.

I guess I just wanted to hear from both sides, both active and national guard and see what y'all thought. Any insight welcome! Thanks!
clarythedrill
If you just returned from Advance Camp, that tells me you are contracted. So, if you did not sign a GRFD/Minutemen contract, you are competing for Active duty whether you like it or not. Once the Army chooses for you, there is no changing (for the most part). Go see your ROO and see if you can change your contract to GRFD if that is the way you want to go, otherwise, you will be locked into what the Army wants you to be, which is based on your OML.
Aggie118
AG
My understanding, at least with our program at TAMU, is that it is generally our choice whether we go guard or active. I have a friend who has the same contact as mine that is higher up on the OML and is pretty set on guard.
HollywoodBQ
AG
I agree with Clary that Active versus NG is not going to be your decision, it's going to be the Army's decision.

But, let's say you go into the National Guard. The first thing you need to do is figure out where you're going to drill and how convenient that is to where you plan to live.

You might have to commute a long way to find the kind of unit that you want. Or, they might not even have it in your state. I've known guys who have moved states to find a unit that offered slots in the branch they wanted (Aviation).

I was lucky in that I wanted Armor and at the time, Texas had a lot of it. But, as my civilian job changed and I moved to Denver, there was no Armor in that state. At that time (pre 9/11), Colorado had Field Artillery and Special Forces.

Also, no recruiters get credit for Officers so, you're on your own when it comes to finding a Guard Unit. In Texas, it was difficult for me to find one close to Austin where I was living at the time. Bryan and Waco were full to the gills with Officers. Luckily, I stumbled across (no Internet back then) Camp Bowie in Brownwood and I enjoyed a solid 6 "good years" in that Battalion even though it was between 150-200 miles each way to drill (the 200 each way was to the Company in San Angelo).

My experience when I moved to Denver where they didn't have the branch I wanted and they really didn't need any more Officers was that they told me I could be like the 3rd over strength officer on a Field Artillery Battalion Staff while I worked on my branch transfer. That was a convenient time for me to move to the IRR to finish out my 8 year commitment.

So, where do you plan to live and how far are you willing to drive to drill?

Keep in mind that this is all going to be nuts once you have kids and are telling your wife you'll be away every 4th weekend and 2 weeks during the summer. And of course, your co-workers will all think that you're on vacation every time you're at Guard Drill.
JABQ04
AG
I have nothing to say in regards to AD v NG conversation, but I can shoot you toward my old battalion in North Houston. They are an Artillery Battalion. (Howitzer not that pansy rocket ****). Plenty of Aggies in that battalion.
clarythedrill
Aggie118 said:

My understanding, at least with our program at TAMU, is that it is generally our choice whether we go guard or active. I have a friend who has the same contact as mine that is higher up on the OML and is pretty set on guard.
I had a brain fart and forgot the SMC status. If I remember correctly from my time at Norwich, there is a date in which you must decide which direction you want to go. You are guaranteed active duty, so unless the PMS thinks you are an absolute turd and does not let you commission Active duty, you will be automatically Active. If you want Guard or Reserves, you must let that be known and elect that before the Active/Guard-Reserve list comes out, which is usually in October or November. After that, you are locked in.
Kyle98
AG
JABQ04 said:

I have nothing to say in regards to AD v NG conversation, but I can shoot you toward my old battalion in North Houston. They are an Artillery Battalion. (Howitzer not that pansy rocket ****). Plenty of Aggies in that battalion.
I just transferred into that battalion, and can confirm the above.
cavscout96
AG
Some incorrect info on here

1. If you want to go NG or USAR, you will not be forced to AD

2. You are NOT automatically guaranteed AD. The PMS at an SMC CAN pull you over the line if you are not above the cut line on the national OML, but is NOT a guarantee per se.

3. It will s almost impossible to rescind a GRfD contract and compete for AD

Do your first assignment on AD. get your schools, then make a decision when you're a Captain. If your SO is spouse-worthy, they'll go where you go. If they won't....... look around.

If you're high enough on the OML that you are confident you'll get Armor, I wouldn't put FA in my top 7 unless you want to end up there. AR is a SMALL branch and goes out quickly. FA is huge and has plenty of spots.

The assessions process seems to change every year. It's getting more and more difficult to predict that you'll get one of your top3 unless you're a DMG.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.