Granddad's WW2 records

1,456 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
lb sand
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I recently asked my mother if she had any of my grandfathers service records. She found a few files I was able to go through and I found his record of separation .

My grandfather (tu class of 1939) joined the Army Air Corps a week after Pearl Harbor was commissioned a 2nd Lt on 1-9-1942. His records say his military occupational specialty was "Aircraft Engineering Officer, 4823". His unit was "35th Engr Squadron, 25th Serv Group". His foreign service was from Feb 1944 to Oct 1944 in India. The paperwork just says India, no other details. My grandfather was not wounded but he got very sick and was sent back to the US in late 1944. He spent the last year of the war in a hospital. Whatever he got, it tore up his insides. He had digestive issues the rest of his life.
I assume my granddad was a maintenance officer. His records show he did Aeronautical Engr Course, Maintenance Engr Course, and Aircraft Inspection Course.
My interest is in what would his unit have been doing in India in 1944, where exactly were they, what types of planes they used, what type of missions, etc.

Is there anyway to track down this info?

JABQ04
AG
Try www.25thasg.org. Found that on a google search.

What's his name? I'll check more stuff tonight when I get home
lb sand
AG
Wow, that was exactly the info I was looking for.

I didn't see my granddads name while quickly skimming through that website. But I did see a note that said morale declined after so many men got digestive issues from eating bad canned goods.

BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Friend was stationed in India flying DC3s ( I think ) over the hump for the Chinese army .
BigJim49AustinnowDallas
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.