Kadena AFB

5,476 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Ag_of_08
airplane driver
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Adjr, ABAT '06, is assuming command of a squadron at Kadena AFB Okinawa. Good duty station?
45-70Ag
AG
My dad lived there in the 60's, my grandfather was stationed there as an SR71 pilot.

I'm sure it's been cleaned up since my dad was there but when he lived there the aftermath of wwii was still all around. Burned out tanks, you could go in caves and see the white outline of Japanese soldiers on the walls from where the flame throwers hit them. He also said Japanese skeletons were everywhere and they'd put them in each other's sleeping bags as jokes when camping. Also issues with unexploded ordnance.

All that to say i know nothing.
PanzerAggie06
AG
Can't speak directly about Kadena but if you get the chance to get assigned to Japan don't pass it up. I spent two years a Camp Zama, 25 miles SW of Tokyo, and it was a great two years. In order to truly "get" Japan you have to spend an extended time there. Well, worth it.
Bodie Broadus
Kadena and Okinawa is great. One of my favorite places.
74OA
AG
airplane driver said:

Adjr, ABAT '06, is assuming command of a squadron at Kadena AFB Okinawa. Good duty station?
Any place in command is a good duty station.
GAC06
AG
An '06 already commanding a squadron? That seems fast.

Kadena has a decent golf course. Lots of good scuba/snorkeling around Oki.
airplane driver
S
He is an 04 and should make Ltcol next year. He just spent a year on an AF Fellowship at Lawrence Livermore labs. Before that he was on staff at PACCOM in Seoul. Mrs Ad and I are proud of his career.
CanyonAg77
AG
airplane driver said:

He is an 04 and should make Ltcol next year. He just spent a year on an AF Fellowship at Lawrence Livermore labs. Before that he was on staff at PACCOM in Seoul. Mrs Ad and I are proud of his career.
For good reason.
rebag00
AG
I lived on Okinawa for a year a good while back. Kadena should be a good duty station. Lots of outdoors stuff to do, beautiful beaches and coral reefs, typically good weather minus the periodic typhoons, the schools were run pretty well when I was there. Relatively easy travel to other points in Asia. Flying should be good as well.
Agvet12
AG
Sounds cush
PanzerAggie06
AG
On a side note. There is a very vocal subset of Okinawans who really want the US to get off their island. They constantly protest and make waves anytime something negative happens involving a US service member. As such the US leadership on the island often, in my opinion, overreacts and goes draconian. Thus, you will see curfews and limitations on drinking in public, etc. I was stationed near Tokyo but spent a fair amount of time in Oki. Its fairly annoying to be a college-educated adult and commissioned officer and still have, what many saw as, a bedtime.
TheCougarHunter
AG
Best O Club still standing I'll say that much
A. Solzhenitsyn
PanzerAggie06 said:

On a side note. There is a very vocal subset of Okinawans who really want the US to get off their island. They constantly protest and make waves anytime something negative happens involving a US service member. As such the US leadership on the island often, in my opinion, overreacts and goes draconian. Thus, you will see curfews and limitations on drinking in public, etc. I was stationed near Tokyo but spent a fair amount of time in Oki. Its fairly annoying to be a college-educated adult and commissioned officer and still have, what many saw as, a bedtime.
on behalf of the Marine Corps, you are welcome.
NukeAg10
AG
Spent 3.5 years in yokosuka, and Japan is amazing. If I had options to do shore duty out there then there's no way I would've left. The curfews were dumb, but as long as you weren't in a military heavy area it didn't really matter. Just don't be dumb and get arrested.
Federale01
AG
GAC06 said:

An '06 already commanding a squadron? That seems fast.

Kadena has a decent golf course. Lots of good scuba/snorkeling around Oki.
This is the most Air Force answer to a question about a duty station I have ever seen.
GAC06
AG
Well it is an Air Force base after all. I was glad to spend time there instead of Futenma
GMaster0
Great for senior personnel and those with families, tough for unadventurous junior personnel.
Aggie@state.gov
AG
AFB = CONUS

AB = OCONUS
74OA
AG
Aggie@state.gov said:

AFB = CONUS

AB = OCONUS
Generally true, but airbases in Hawaii, Alaska and Guam are all OCONUS and are all AFBs or JBs, and our bases in UK are RAF X, not AB. So AFB is an indicator of an AF base on US soil, but not strictly CONUS vs OCONUS.
GAC06
AG
Nm
Hey Nav
AG
Hate the "Joint Base... whatever names."

Hope it continues to be called Kadena AFB (or AB).

A great Air Force maintains its' golf courses.
TowGun93
AG
I was stationed at Camp Schwab (northern part of the island) in the early 90's for a year after I got back from Desert Storm. Back then, as a single Marine, the island seemingly offered little more than Mojo in Kin-ville, taco rice, sushi, and, oh yeah, amazing scuba diving. I just went back to Oki for a few days last week with my wife on a side jaunt from Japan and we thoroughly enjoyed our visit. So much development (expressway north to south) and far more hotels and amenities. The island is beautiful, friendly people, great food....so glad I went back to visit and would gladly do so again.
bigtruckguy3500
Going to be heading to Futenma later this year. I heard there's a good sushi place on/near Kadena. Might make a trip over there and see if I can run into your kid. Our time in the Corps overlapped, so I may recognize him.
Rock1982
AG
airplane driver said:

Which squadron?
TheCougarHunter
AG
Definitely hit up Crayz Chicken n Waffles. It's about 5 minutes drive from the Kadena main gate.

T&P for anyone getting Futenma, or any of the Marine bases on that island for that matter. Kadena is great though.
airplane driver
S
Rock1982 said:

airplane driver said:

Which squadron?
I have been out of town and just saw your question. He is in command of 18th Component Sqdn.
bigtruckguy3500
TheCougarHunter said:

Definitely hit up Crayz Chicken n Waffles. It's about 5 minutes drive from the Kadena main gate.

T&P for anyone getting Futenma, or any of the Marine bases on that island for that matter. Kadena is great though.
Why's that? The restrictions?
GAC06
AG
Because Marine bases are terrible
74OA
AG
airplane driver said:

Rock1982 said:

airplane driver said:

Which squadron?
I have been out of town and just saw your question. He is in command of 18th Component Sqdn.
18th Component Maintenance Squadron. Big job indeed.

Group
Rock1982
AG
airplane driver said:

Rock1982 said:

airplane driver said:

Which squadron?

CMS ... awesome. If he is Class of 06 his timing is fine for a maintenance squadron command. Not early.
ravingfans
AG
Irish_Man said:

My dad lived there in the 60's, my grandfather was stationed there as an SR71 pilot.

I'm sure it's been cleaned up since my dad was there but when he lived there the aftermath of wwii was still all around. Burned out tanks, you could go in caves and see the white outline of Japanese soldiers on the walls from where the flame throwers hit them. He also said Japanese skeletons were everywhere and they'd put them in each other's sleeping bags as jokes when camping. Also issues with unexploded ordnance.

funny thing is the SR71 was never stationed at Kadena, but had regularly scheduled "Emergency Landings" there when my dad was stationed there in the 60's. We could watch but not photograph, but the local Japanese had cameras rolling all the time catching all the action...
IDAGG
AG
ravingfans said:

Irish_Man said:

funny thing is the SR71 was never stationed at Kadena, but had regularly scheduled "Emergency Landings" there when my dad was stationed there in the 60's. We could watch but not photograph, but the local Japanese had cameras rolling all the time catching all the action...
I think the SR71 units did short rotations through Kadena. Meaning a few planes would stay for a few months and then rotate out and another unit would rotate in.
ravingfans
AG
IDAGG said:

ravingfans said:

Irish_Man said:

I think the SR71 units did short rotations through Kadena. Meaning a few planes would stay for a few months and then rotate out and another unit would rotate in.

True, but officially the US Govt didn't want to say they were stationing them on Okinawa for some reason, hence the ruse they were there on an emergency landing basis. They were ushered into hangers on short order to get them out of view of the many cameras from the locals.
OldArmy71
AG
I have a former student who is currently there with her husband (he is stationed there) and two kids. She and the kids are loving it; I can't speak for him.
Ag_of_08
AG
My nephew in law and niece spent quite a bit of time there, seemed to like it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.