Gen R......... How 'bout an update on the FTAB and Clemson

7,017 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Bucketrunner
aggiejim70
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just curious as we're 90 days out
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
Warrior 66
The Aggie Band, minus the fish, will attend the Clemson game and march at halftime.
aggiejim70
AG
Thank you, that's great to hear.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
CanyonAg77
AG
We never left the fish behind, but that was SWC days, when a bus trip to Lubbock or Little Rock was the longest trip. And lots of away games were Corps Trips where it was up to you to show up.

All that nostalgia to ask this....what do the fish do that weekend? "Cat's away, the mice will play"? Free weekend to go home? Import CT (wet)heads to babysit them?
74OA
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

We never left the fish behind, but that was SWC days, when a bus trip to Lubbock or Little Rock was the longest trip. And lots of away games were Corps Trips where it was up to you to show up.

All that nostalgia to ask this....what do the fish do that weekend? "Cat's away, the mice will play"? Free weekend to go home? Import CT (wet)heads to babysit them?
Last time the Commandant addressed this, IIRC he said long away trips are too much to ask of first-semester fish on top of all their other Band, Corps and academic requirements. They need the extra study time to get their GPA off to a good start.
CanyonAg77
AG
I'm not complaining. I realize it's a different world, and that 350 on a plane to Clemson are a heck of a lot more expensive than 300 on a bus to Lubbock.

I'm just curious what they're doing that weekend.
Hey Nav
Hey Nav
AG
It's great the FTAB is marching at Clemson.

Am disappointed when the weenies in the SEC "don't have time" for the FTAB to march at halftime on their turf. They're just jealous.
aggiejim70
AG
74OA said:

CanyonAg77 said:

Last time the Commandant addressed this he said long away trips are too much to ask of first-semester fish on top of all their other Band, Corps and academic requirements. They need the extra study time to get their GPA off to a good start.
Lucky guy, we never went to Arkansas or LSU. One godawful trip to tard land. On the other hand, we did play in the only Cotton Bowl for A&M between WWII and when Jackie got there. In one of the great idiocies of A&M in the 60's we conned ourselves out of going to West Point.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
monarch
S
The Aggie Band, minus the fish, will attend the Clemson game and march at halftime.

Remember, I'm not a former student...so when you say "minus the fish" that mean freshmen arent going; got that. Does that mean the band is not marching with the same amount of members as they do at Kyle, where presumably the fish do march at all games? Basically, we have a smaller complement of band members going, which I am thinking impacts what routines the bane will perform then, correct?

Maybe I'm over thinking this, but I'm curious. I was at the UCLA game and saw the band at Disneyland but cant remember if we were "minus the fish" or if everybody was there for that one.
HollywoodBQ
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Frankly, I think we learned a lot more from the self-driven Corps Trips to Houston/Austin/Dallas than we did from most of the things we did in the classroom.

I'm still amazed that everybody always showed up. And that was with much of Highway 6 being only 2 lanes (one lane in each direction). No cell phones, no GPS navigation, 55 mph speed limits. It all worked out.

But... those bus trips to Lubbock, Fayetteville, non-conference to Stillwater and LSU. Oh man those were long. But the worst bus trip ever was December 1989 to our bowl game in El Paso (16 hours each way).
The Kraken
AG
monarch said:

Remember, I'm not a former student...so when you say "minus the fish" that mean freshmen arent going; got that. Does that mean the band is not marching with the same amount of members as they do at Kyle, where presumably the fish do march at all games? Basically, we have a smaller complement of band members going, which I am thinking impacts what routines the bane will perform then, correct?

Maybe I'm over thinking this, but I'm curious. I was at the UCLA game and saw the band at Disneyland but cant remember if we were "minus the fish" or if everybody was there for that one.
Yes the band is marching smaller when the fish don't make the trip. The FTAB performs a new drill for every game, so preparing for that week doesn't really change anything ...but it does allow the band to perform a more elaborate drill for early season games than would be performed if the low experience freshmen were participating, if they so choose.

Pretty much any game the band flies to and is marching halftime outside of bowl games will not include fish....they were not there at UCLA 2 years ago.
Barnyard96
AG
Someone please tell me where they heard sophomores are going to Clemson game.
JABQ04
AG
ImOut said:

Someone please tell me where they heard sophomores are going to Clemson game.

The commandant, on the second post of the page.

Commandant79 said:

monarch
S
Thanks New World!
Barnyard96
AG
So that really was General R. Awesome, thanks!

JABQ04
AG
Yep. He drops in from time to time to give clarification on issues or to tell Ol' Ags to step back from the ledge and take a breath.
Barnyard96
AG
I have a sophomore in the band and we've been waiting to hear. This is awesome news.

My faith in Texags is restored.
CanyonAg77
AG
The demise of the Corps Trip is one of the sad chapters of modern times and the move to the SEC. For upperclassmen, it was a great way to get to visit your buddies' families. Lots of long time friendships were created. For fish, it was a big push into the real world...learn to take care of yourself, learn to travel and show up on time, forcing you to make friends and stay at their house. I say the latter because most fish were too damn busy trying to survive, to take time to get to know their classmates.

One wonders how many marriages resulted from little sisters meeting a guy's fish buddies. I actually met my wife by staying at her family's home for the 1973 Rice game, though I was dating someone else and pretty much ignored her. Didn't become close until meeting again when I was a 5th year senior.

And so many Corps Trip stories...my junior year when I borrowed a buddy's car to go on a date, and it crapped out. The (now retired) airline pilot who lost a tooth treating a fence behind a bar as if it were an obstacle course...
F4GIB71
You are so right on teaching fish resourcefulness. My first Corps Trip was to Ft. Worth against TCU. fish having cars was rare then. Think we started with 53 fish and one had a car. He didn't last very long. A bunch of us rode to TWU with one of our Juniors for the Pig Push. He dropped us off in Denton and we were on our own. Had no idea where we were going to stay. We planned to hitchhike to Ft Worth the next day. We were all set up with blind dates. At the Pig Push, we met a guy who'd gone to A&M but was now a WO at Ft Wolters. He let a bunch of us crash on the floor of his motel room and gave us a ride to the Corps Parade the next day. Met up with the girls for parade and game. One of them had a car. Don't remember how we got back to CS but we did. All that while living on $12 per week for week's school expenses including the game weekend.
Barnyard96
AG
2018 Strength Report Summary

The largest Texas A&M Corps of Cadets since 1970!

This year the Corps of Cadets started the year with a strength of 2,560 cadets slightly larger than the year before and once again the largest Corps since 1970! Our recruiting efforts continue to show great progress, with the Corps population growing by over 25% since 2010! We are proud of our growth and look forward to continued growth in the future.

• 1,003 Texas A&M students joined the Corps of Cadets in 2017-2018

• Corps strength on the first day of school was 2,560 cadets

• 407 female cadets (16% of the Corps)

• 20% of cadets were from out of state

• The Corps "Owns The Quad" & occupies all 12 Quad dorms

We will continue to place a focused effort on recruiting high-quality young men and women to join the Corps of Cadets and who will one day become the future leaders in our communities, state, and nation. Our goal is to continue to "grow the Corps" as the university continues to grow, and ensure that we maintain the high standards of excellence in our cadets that the Corps of Cadets is known for!
aggiejim70
AG
I was at that "Pig Push". AKA "The Goon Grab" Whata weekend. Let me ask up if you remember Billy Hobbs interception?

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
F4GIB71
Too many years have gone by to remember that specific interception. I do remember a basketball game against SFA where a bunch of frat rats were walking on the grass at the MSC. Billy Hobbs and Harvey Aschenbeck quickly "resolved" the situation. Billy turned his life around and became a Christian Evangelist. He came to my church in Pearland and we had a long discussion on several subjects. Tragically he was killed a few years later.
eaglewolf97
CanyonAg77 said:

It's a closed weekend for the Corps when the Band goes to Clemson, so my guess is that they'll have the fish do some O-Course and LRC introductions since it's the beginning of the year. 2 years ago when we went to UCLA without the fish we had some staff members coming by to check on them every once in a while. I think we also had 1 or 2 BQs that stayed behind because of other commitments with school that checked on the fish.
JABQ04
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Our fish year, Fall 2000, the upperclassmen went to Norte Dame after FOW so we stayed behind. However, we thought it was going to be an easy day, before we got caught by I-Band people who hadn't flown yet and got in trouble for breaking all sorts of rules on Friday. We also decided to wax the floor and make everything look pretty for our upperclassmen's return on Sunday and we did. Except we left bare foot prints on the newly waxed floor and paid for that Monday afternoon. Other than that I didn't remember having any other commitments that weekend so it was essentially weekend to bond and hang out with our buddies.
aggiejim70
AG
He was a pastor (not the pastor) of a church in San Antonio. Billy Hobbs and I got to know each other long after we were out of school. Yes he did turn his life around. I attended his funeral, as did many members of the '67 champs team. BTW, Hobbs intercepted in the end zone, and ran it back 102 yards against TCU. That was the weekend of the aforementioned "Pig Push".

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
Doc 74
AG
I was in high school in Arlington. My dad '49 took all 4 kids to the TCU game. We sat in the upper deck of Amon Carter, near the endzone where Hobbs intercepted the ball and started the 103 yard return. Also went to the Cotton Bowl, low in the endzone - saw Bear Bryant helping carry Gene Stallings on his shoulders about 10 yards in front of us.
HelotesAg
AG
Sorry to get away from the corps trip discussion, Gen R.... wondering if y'all know what section the band will be in at Clemson? Still looking for tickets and would like to be close to my son. Thanks!
Barnyard96
AG
HelotesAg said:

Sorry to get away from the corps trip discussion, Gen R.... wondering if y'all know what section the band will be in at Clemson? Still looking for tickets and would like to be close to my son. Thanks!Lo
Lower corner section V and T.

What outfit?
HelotesAg
AG
C-Co, he'll be a senior, bass player. Heads back Friday morning to get ready for FOW.

Thanks!!! This reinforces that TexAgs knows things!
Johnny2Fan
What time is step off and location/path vs Clemson?
KSigAg12
AG
Cousins oldest will be a fish in the band.

What are the travel plans for Georgia, LSU, and Ole Miss?
HelotesAg
AG
Ole Miss & Georgia - possible 100-piece FTAB to attend- upperclassmen

LSU - Full band bus trip, spend the night in Baton Rouge after the game. Return to College Station on Sunday.

This is per a full year schedule my son got. I suspect eventually your fish will get the same schedule.

Barnyard96
AG
Some sophomores have been selected for Ole Miss and GA.

LSU and Arkansas (Arlington) are full band trips.
Warrior 66
All home games: Full Band. Band will perform at halftime

Clemson: Upperclass Band only. No fish. Band will perform at halftime

Arkansas (Arlington): Full Band. Plan is for a Corps March-in to Ft Worth at 9 am on game day assuming game is not played at 11 am. Band will perform at halftime

LSU: Full Band. Band will perform at halftime

Georgia, Ole Miss: 100 piece Upperclass Band to play in the stands only. No halftime performance.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.