Deployment first timer

8,488 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by bufrilla
Pirate04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just looking for advice!

My first deployment will be here in just a few months and I have no idea what to expect. I'm in the Reserve, so we'll be mobilizing to Ft Hood for about 50 days, then off to Iraq. I'm Aviation, MEDEVAC specifically, and there's a lot of talk about us not being very busy at all which is good and bad.

I suppose that everyone's stories are different but I'd love to hear them!! What did you take with you, what stuff did you accumulate while you were there? How'd you pass the time? You could say I'm just a little bit anxious!
Fly Army 97
The sites you could be placed at have amenities, but a couple don't have much unless they changed over the last year (quite possible). My first advice is take everyone's advice with a grain of salt or caution. Those locations have changed over the last two years...and the experience may be different for you as commands and missions have altered.

My recommendations:
- If you read at all, get online library access to MWR and your local library. Get an Overdrive account and read as many different books as possible.
- For working out, grab a few bands you can use anywhere or TRX type gear...MEDEVAC tends to sit around in weird spots at the most unannounced moments.
- I've seen MEDEVAC sites all over the place, from the US, to CENTCOM, to EUCOM. If there is one thing I can tell ya is decide now if you want to make good use of your 1UP/2UP time. Crews roll like a pack of wolves, but that doesn't mean you can't learn a new trade while you are on standby. Ship a guitar over and practice while the other guys play XBox.
- You will be busy - but when you aren't....how can you get better. Are you a RCM or NRCM or neither?
- Clicks tend to form over time..that is natural. You will become better acquainted with some folks you pull duty with than others. When you notice this, I recommend asking someone to grab a bite to eat and get to know them. It breaks up the monotony of working at an outstation.
- I don't know your unit, but some folks really want to keep crews together...hopefully you can see how other units do business and rotate out of your sites.
- Guys with 2+ deployments are the ones you need to watch with overconfidence and bad habits. Trust everyone, but question everything internally and voice it when you need to. I've seen plenty of crews get themselves in trouble allowing a 1500 hour pilot talk them into something they weren't ready for. People make mistakes...and you know the deal. Our business is unforgivable and people in our vehicles and birds live's depend on it.

Just my two cents and maybe all it's worth...

Good luck - Fly Army.

CharlieBrown17
AG
Is 1500 hours a lot in the rotary world or are you saying don't trust a mildly experienced pilot that's not as good as they think?

Pirate04
AG
I would consider 1500 a lot of hours. But I'm sitting just over 300 at two years.
Fly Army 97
Not at all...like I said, trust everyone. Just don't get complacent and assume the 1500 hour pilot if gonna save your butt when something goes wrong. Accidents have happened where a junior aviator or crewchief trust the very experienced crewmember up front so much they didn't question a train wreck in the making...

1500 hours is about the time one begins to really master the aircraft and mission...it's still shy of being a master aviator (our enroute times are not as long as fixed wing). That said, # of hours is only one small measure of one's experience....and doesn't really tell the real deal on one's experience with bad weather, poor illumination, responses to mechanical problems, or ability to vision a fight as multiple actions are taking place on the battlefield.
Pirate04
AG
Thank you!! I would consider all of that good advice.
Fly Army 97
Pirate - good luck. My 'not at all' was answering Charlie. I would consider it a of hours too if I had 300, but 300-500 hours guys are the ones who keep us all honest and away from complacency.
CenterHillAg
AG
Interesting, I always wondered what sort of time military pilots accrued. The only military pilots I've spent a good amount of time around are C5 pilots, so they obviously had quite a bit of time.
JABQ04
AG
Get a kindle and down load a ton of books, saves a ton of space

Learn to play guitar
Learn a foreign language
Workout
Play board games
Play spades.
Aggie12B
AG
Pirate,
Fly Army gave you some great advice.. So did JABQ04. I wish I would have tried to learn a new language during my deployments. The only other advice I would offer is to always maintain your situational awareness and stay safe.
CT'97
AG
Not much to add that hasn't already been said.

As a pilot I'm not sure what your relationship is to the medics that fly with you but our medics loved cross training with the medivac guys when we were deployed. Built a nice relationship when handing off casualties as well. Probably not practical in all situations but I can tell you from personal experience recognizing the eyes looking back from behind those masks was a huge help for me when I got pulled out.
JABQ04
AG
And most important, get a hard drive and put as many movies and TV shows on it. Even stuff you think you'll never watch in a million years, because you're going to end up watching it. I've watched everything from modern action movies, to stuff with Errol Flynn and Humphrey Bogart to "chick flicks" and romantic comedies. (Scored some bonus points with the wife when I got back).

Also, sleep if your schedule allows it. Beneficial and helps pass time.
Eliminatus
AG
Really depends on what level of life you can expect when you get there. My experience in Iraq is over a decade old and mostly on the wrong side of the wire. And different MOS. In a different branch....

The two main things to think about is entertainment and comfort items. We clamored for movies and tv shows and items like socks and baby wipes. Things that I imagine are no longer in short supply over there. Those who managed to cram a laptop into the space we had allotted were kings.

Generally speaking, if I were to take off today for over there, personalized media would be the number one thing I take. My kindle and Switch and music would be key. Food, equipment, etc, I would not worry about at all. Those can be identified and picked up later from the exchange or care packages if you have people on this side of the water. (Which you do since you are an Aggie).

A boring deployment is gonna play hell with your mind through boredom, so think of ways to combat that first.

My first advice is, find someone who has been there recently and pester them about lifestyle. And if ya can't find anyone, then revert to my above suggestions.
Complaint Investigator
AG
You'll be taking over where my unit is scattered about at the moment. And where my buddies were previously. MEDEVAC in general is a lot of sitting around. They are taking pictures of nice dinners, building half pipes for skateboards etc. WiFi is prevalent as evidenced by their constant Facebook posts.

Ft. Hood seemed to be the worst part of it. I can ask them questions should you have any.
Pirate04
AG
Is that 35th CAB? I just got a packing list from them a couple days ago. We'll be divided up between the different outposts and FOBs also, sounds like a similar structure to what's in place.

I like the idea of having internet but I'm sure it goes by faster when you actually have missions. On the flip side, no missions for us means no one is getting hurt.
APHIS AG
Most of the outlying FOBs will probably be gone and the one that you will be going to will be pretty built up with probably TV, internet, a good PX, food courts, possibly a movie theater.

It is not like 10 years ago where there were quite a few FOB's spread throughout Iraq with a coalition force.
Agvet12
AG
Don't know jack about Iraq ... but had a ton of fun the multiple times to Afghan

Play spades
External hard drive for movies / kindle for books
Work out
Don't start smoking/dipping
Don't turn into a gear kweer - keep your gear simple and functional and you'll be better off

You'll pick up stuff along the way
Presley OBannons Sword
Frequent masturbation.
Rabid Cougar
AG
To add on about binge watching TV series, old movies, etc. and the like and this may not be a problem or is even allowed anymore... scan all haji bootleg DVDs and CDs before you play them on your personal laptop...

I witnessed multiple personal laptops trashed because of them....

I reiterate..... set some sort of personal improvement goals for yourself.

Also if your are inclined, take lots of pictures when/where allowed and time appropriate.
Pirate04
AG
I'm so thankful for all the replies. My plans while over there for self improvement are definitely to read, and I hadn't even thought of getting a Kindle! I have an iPad for regs and pubs but it doesn't have much storage space overall. I have never been a journaler but I want to start so I have stories to tell my family when I get home. I want to teach myself Spanish and for sure, get into Instagram model shape.
Mayor West
AG
Pirate04 said:

Just looking for advice!

My first deployment will be here in just a few months and I have no idea what to expect. I'm in the Reserve, so we'll be mobilizing to Ft Hood for about 50 days, then off to Iraq. I'm Aviation, MEDEVAC specifically, and there's a lot of talk about us not being very busy at all which is good and bad.

I suppose that everyone's stories are different but I'd love to hear them!! What did you take with you, what stuff did you accumulate while you were there? How'd you pass the time? You could say I'm just a little bit anxious!

Do they just mob you to Hood for 50 days so Iraq seems like a nice vacation?
Naveronski
AG
Sure seems that way. After time at Hood, everyone is itching to get in country.
Noblemen06
AG
Lots of solid advice here. +1 on the TRX...especially the military edition. The regular yellow one has soft, spongy hand grips that will get disgusting in short order while the military one has rubber. The strap adjustments are easier to make, too. A TRX + a HESCO barrier were all I needed to keep a good strength training regimen downrange. Be cautious about running any perimeter paths, no matter the time of day/night!

Good luck!
TJJackson
Eliminatus said:

Really depends on what level of life you can expect when you get there. My experience in Iraq is over a decade old and mostly on the wrong side of the wire. And different MOS. In a different branch....

The two main things to think about is entertainment and comfort items. We clamored for movies and tv shows and items like socks and baby wipes. Things that I imagine are no longer in short supply over there. Those who managed to cram a laptop into the space we had allotted were kings.

Generally speaking, if I were to take off today for over there, personalized media would be the number one thing I take. My kindle and Switch and music would be key. Food, equipment, etc, I would not worry about at all. Those can be identified and picked up later from the exchange or care packages if you have people on this side of the water. (Which you do since you are an Aggie).

A boring deployment is gonna play hell with your mind through boredom, so think of ways to combat that first.

My first advice is, find someone who has been there recently and pester them about lifestyle. And if ya can't find anyone, then revert to my above suggestions.

Would ditto this. Was at Al Asad back in Summer of '06 with MALS 16 supporting the Marine Squadrons, so I'm sure it's completely different now. Even though I never got outside the wire, I'm very grateful I never had to. The guys and gals that did are the real heros.

If anything, it's a chance to really reflect how good we have it here at home. Be safe, remember your training, and I'll be praying for your safe return.
Scoopen Skwert
AG
First off. Stay alert stay alive, Chief.

Learn to live off Copenhagen and rip-its. Books like others have said is a must. I'm older so I still love the feel of a book in my hand. Most of the MWR places have books to borrow.

Bring along a notebook and write down all the funny things you come up with for the big voice to say. I personally always wanted to hear. "Disco is not dead. Command Post out."

Work out and come back in the best shape of your life.

Also demand excellence of yourself, seniors, peers and subordinates. Being a pilot you have a love of check lists.

Trust your training and know being scared is normal. You just have to rise above it and realize all you got at times is that person to your left and right. Don't let them down or yourself.

You live by a creed so follow it. Keep your gear and weapon squared away at all times.

Lastly know that we are all, in our own way, lifting you up daily as well as your brothers and sisters who are the tip of the spear.

Gig'em.
Scoopen Skwert
AG
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
Pirate, if possible, post some details of deployment life. Would be interesting to hear about from an Aggie's perspective.
Rabid Cougar
AG
brs4688 said:

Pirate, if possible, post some details of deployment life. Would be interesting to hear about from an Aggie's perspective.
Like stuck on a small FOB with an ADT from Iowa who painted Hawkeyes on their MRAPs and a Sec For of National Guardsmen from Boston who think Tom Brady is God with fill-ins from Georgia and Tennessee who are rabid SEC and a B-hut mate Ohio State Fan and a Navy ring knocker running the show (except the things that go bump in the night are really in charge) and you are the only Aggie in the whole god forsaken valley during football season type perspective????.

JABQ04 are you following me?????
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
Sure, I guess....
K2-HMFIC
JABQ04 said:

Learn to play guitar
Learn a foreign language
Workout
Play board games
Play spades.
I really can't recommend this enough.

And don't let family mail you baked goods.

And avoid getting booze from terps.
Naveronski
AG
K2-HMFIC said:

JABQ04 said:

Learn to play guitar
Learn a foreign language
Workout
Play board games
Play spades.
I really can't recommend this enough.

And don't let family mail you baked goods.

And avoid getting booze from terps.
But family mailing booze is good, as are baked goods from terps.
Diyala Nick
AG
I was there over a decade ago doing a different job, but....

Keep your weapon clean and ready to use. When things go bad, they go bad really fast. (this seems obvious, but people get lazy)

Know your AO very well and understand where you are at any point in time.

Visualize and mentally rehearse every mission. Imagine what can go wrong and walk through what you will do if/when it does. This approach greatly improves your odds of making good decisions under extreme stress.

If possible, get plenty of sleep before missions.

I'm not kidding.....poop before you go on a mission. 2 hours has a way of turning into 12.

Do your best!!!
Complaint Investigator
AG
Pirate04 said:

Is that 35th CAB? I just got a packing list from them a couple days ago. We'll be divided up between the different outposts and FOBs also, sounds like a similar structure to what's in place.

I like the idea of having internet but I'm sure it goes by faster when you actually have missions. On the flip side, no missions for us means no one is getting hurt.
YERP.

Nobody has been shot at since they've been there per the dude who just came back via REFRAD. He flew a grand total of 20 hours in 4 months while split up between two posts in Iraq. The guys prior to that (flight school buddies) didn't have any hostile fire either.

That said - I have another friend who is with a MTP who has been flying his ass off. So there's that.

Really depends on your mission. MEDEVAC? Not flying much. VIP/troop movements? flying often.
Aggie12B
AG
If you don't have an A&M flag, get one so you can decorate your chu or tent. I have one that I took with me on all 4 deployments to Iraq, as well as my deployment to Kosovo, and all my NTC, JRTC, Grafonwier, and Holenfels rotations. You never know when or where you will run into another old Ag. You can take pictures with your flag everywhere you go and share them with your TexAgs family and the 12th Man Foundation.. I hope you have a Really boring deployment. Stay safe. GIG'EM
mickeyrig06sq3
AG
Get your APO #. Amazon delivers, and is actually pretty quick. Usually got my stuff in less than 2 weeks. Was at a FOB first time, and Leatherneck the second.

Depending on what facilities you get, I suggest a quality mattress pad. I always had two types of mattresses. Brand new and hard as a rock, or old and saggy with a spring jabbing me in the back. You may catch crap when people see you unboxing it, but worth it for getting quality sleep.

And +1 on the baked goods comment. They ship as cookies, they arrive as crumbs.

If you're at a joint base like Bastion/Leatherneck, visit their areas. They can have some nicer stuff on their side.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.