Army ROTC or Marine PLC?

4,322 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Federale01
Aggie118
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy! I'm currently a junior in the corps and just wanted to get people's opinions and experiences one way or another before I go all in on the Army contract. I've been in Army ROTC since the spring and am wondering if PLC May be more my style. Additionally, I have a leadership role in my outfit (1st SGT) and I am required to be away from my outfit every morning for Army PT, so the once a week PLC workouts appeal to me as I would get to PT with my outfit more. If I stick with Army I'll go to advance camp for 4 weeks this summer (rumor is it may be made 6 weeks), if I pursue PLC and get it I would most likely go to 10 weeks of OCS this summer.
In yalls opinions:
Which branch choice makes for a better family life?
Also, which has the least PC bs to put up with.
Thanks in advance for any insight!
JABQ04
AG
Outfit leadership role should have no bearing in that decision. Plenty of Company 1SGs in the past, and I bet many currently have a contract and PT with ROTC. Besides, I'll guarantee you that's better PT anyways.

As far as Marines vs Army I can't really help. I was enlisted Army. I was deployed three times for 30 months to Iraq and Afghanistan and a year in Korea, in my 7 years 11 months Active Duty. You might not catch a schedule like that, I've had friends only deploy once in 10 years. Kind of a luck of the draw thing I guess. My biggest piece of advice would be just try to figure out what you want to do with your military career. Then have several backup options, because things don't always go as planned.

Also, re-reading your post it seems like you're looking for the option with the least commitment. If that is the case I would advise taking any form of contract or pursuing a commission. You will work weekends, holidays, miss birthdays, anniversary's, reunions etc... any branch of the military had this. You will doing not only yourself a disservice by not being fully committed but also the troops you lead. Search yourself long and hard to make sure this is something you really want to do. If you can't be willing to commit to being on call 24/7 for the length of your obligation then please reconsider.

Good luck on your decision. I assure it is not an easy one and things can be difficult and frustrating and you will want to bash your head into a wall at times, but there are rewards and benefits to serving
CharlieBrown17
AG
So I'm pretty sure this is now the third different way to contract you've mentioned on here. I get wanting to evaluate options but at some point it's time to **** or get off the pot, especially as a white belt.

Family life is going to be way different depending on your job more than the branch.

Also imo trying to find the least PC bs, as you put it, will probably also lead to less concerns about your family life. The marines probably has the least of that but you're still a federal employee at the end of the day and will be required to train on it and attend briefs about it.
Aggie118
AG
Hey thanks for the reply! While I agree with you that many key leaders are also contracts, the only difference is my outfit is not Army ROTC (Army PT's by far the most) therefore I am away from them for all PT sessions, and from my experience the outfit PT is MUCH more effective than army PT where we spend the whole time stretching/gathering accountability.

To address the concern about not wanting to commit time, I can assure this is not the case. I have already given up an internship and committed to a summer to Army ROTC (not that this is a great sacrifice, just giving you an idea of my level of commitment). I simply wish to balance my leadership position in the outfit, and my ROTC commitment a little bit better and to ultimately choose the best branch to serve in. I am fully aware of the time commitment either of these branches entail.

That all being said, thank you very much for your service. I really appreciate the advice.
Aggie118
AG
You would be correct, thank you for pointing that out. I come from a family of no military history so I don't really have much to go off of, I apologize if this rubs you the wrong way, just wanting to be thorough with this big of a commitment.

Which jobs do you feel like favor a more family orientated life style?

Thanks for the advice you have to offer, I appreciate any insight. Gig'em!
CharlieBrown17
AG
It's more for you than anything. The later you get into a program the less time you have to build relationships with cadre that can either mentor you or be the final push you need for a selection board.

In a wide sense any of the "cool" jobs you think of are going to be tougher on home life. Infantry, flying, etc. Maintance is another area that also requires a lot out of you.

The less cool stuff typically has a better home life and translates better to the outside world.

My advice is worth what you paid for it though, I'm a green Lt. I'd listen to me about getting into a program ASAP though if you're going to contract.
Fly Army 97
What's your end state? Being a marine officer or army officer? Back plan from there only.... being with your outfit is a consideration, but you are more to your outfit than PT.

Family life is hard whether Marine or Army. Like someone said, your specialty can affect that, but if you end up in a low density brigade (MP/AV) then it doesn't matter what MOS you are. The rotations are non stop. It's just a matter of luck how many times you will leave the family. Do what will make you happy and find the balance where you can. That's a whole other thread.
Federale01
AG
Please, please, please do not make such an important decision about your life based on something like that. I know it doesn't seem like it now, but the Corps is fairly inconsequential to real life. No consequential decision about your post Corps future should be made based on Corps commitments. That's coming from a person who majored in the Corps; a major unit SGM and commander, RV, etc. Once I joined the Army none of it mattered at all. I found myself wishing I would have prepared more for my military career while in school.

The Marine Corps is a different animal with an entirely different personality. The Army has many different personalities based on which branch you get. Figure out what kind of life you want to lead and then make a decision. But both are going to have a huge helping of BS and pain in the ass.
Complaint Investigator
AG
So...you're trying to determine the branch you will contract with based on the PT that you do now? If that is the case, I would advise you to take a step back and realize that you would be making a life altering decision based on something that will not impact anything in the future. You need to focus on leadership of your troops on a larger scale - not just for PT. There is a big leadership issue in the military today. Toxic leadership and not giving a F has led to a massive retention issue. Don't be that leader.

If you are worried about PT on your own - find someone to PT with that will push you. I guarantee there is someone on that campus.

Research job prospects and what the branches actually DO. Do you know what Marines do? How they play in the fight? What about the Army? If you don't know the answer to those two things, you should go research a little more. My dad was a career Marine officer. I am an Army officer. I initially wanted to be a Marine officer, but didn't get picked up to fly, so I went Army. I'm very happy that things worked out that way knowing what I do now. I wish I had skipped the Marine Corps in the first place, but didn't research and instead just wanted to do what my dad did. I implore you not to make the same mistake.

The military is hard on family - period. I'm a reservist. My flying hours are the same as that of someone in active duty, plus I have a very demanding civilian job. I have a kiddo I share custody with, but have her most of the time. To say I have a network of backups in case I have to fly on a day I have her is an understatement. There is no missing minimums because I can't find someone to watch her. I went through flight school with her, and not sure I slept much in the time I was there. I also had to PT on my own most of the time because I had her and the daycare didn't open that early, so I made sure I busted my ass even harder than most. There are sacrifices made in this job. You can't skate around that, no matter what branch you choose (yes, even Air Force )

Figure out the branch you want to join. You will figure out the work life balance, or lack thereof, later on.
FightnFarmerUSMC
AG
First off, congratulations on your decision to serve your country.

Basing a major life/career decision based on how often you'll get to PT during your last year of college isn't very logical. I know you said it was just a factor, but it shouldn't even be in the equation.

Bottom line: As a Marine officer you are charged with leading, training, logistical needs, and the care of your troops. You will lead these troops into the most unholy hell of which humans are capable. Your job is to ensure maximum combat effectiveness of all your troops, even if you're not on the front lines. If you're not infantry, you solely exist to support the infantry's mission. The question you should be asking is where will you be best suited to ensure that your skill set is maximized to help the mission of combat effectiveness of our military. Your personal happiness and family life is, and always will/should be, a distant second to the mission. Make no mistake about it, the lives of the troops in your charge are in the balance of the decisions you will make.

As to which branch you should choose, I don't think I could give you a legitimate answer based on an internet post. I'm a Marine and I've trained with the Army and been to an Army school, but I'm not a soldier. Take an introspective look at yourself and see where you think you would fit that would best serve the nation. Remember, you are entering the service and they call it that for a reason.
bufrilla
AG
As a very biased JARHEAD, here's my "dime's" worth advice.
Do yourself a service by doing research on each branch of service and offered Specialties that fit YOU. You have a wider selection in the Army versus the MC (or I might say fewer slots if the same Specialty).
The PLC program has been around the MC for almost 90 years. Great program.
Retired Marine 'Mustang' Officer here, father was a Marine, both my son's are/were Marine Officers, and one Grandson currently serving. The Corps holds a dear place in my heart. As my wife of 50 years ( daughter of Naval Aviator) would say, " you know when a Marine Officer, in uniform, enters the room."

Military life is hard on families, must have a strong lady of the house ( I did).
In 24 years, spent 2 1/2 years in Vietnam( 13 mos as an infantry officer with 3rd Marines and the remaining flying comat missions in the F4 Phantom), depoyed to SEAsia 3 other times for 7 months each, a 15 month tour aboard aircraft carrier with an F4 Squadron, deployments to Europe, Caribbean, Korea, and 5 extended TAD's in the USA (Top Gun, Navy PG School Monterey, USAF College Dart, USAF Fighter Weapons/Aggressor Sqd,
and Commander's Course PG Monterey & Naval Justice). Plus all the PCS moves.
BUT wouldn't change a thing. Loved every minute.
Are there Bad times, heck yea! But you do your job correctly and they will less of a problem.
Semper Fi
clarythedrill
Aggie118 said:

Howdy! I'm currently a junior in the corps and just wanted to get people's opinions and experiences one way or another before I go all in on the Army contract. I've been in Army ROTC since the spring and am wondering if PLC May be more my style. Additionally, I have a leadership role in my outfit (1st SGT) and I am required to be away from my outfit every morning for Army PT, so the once a week PLC workouts appeal to me as I would get to PT with my outfit more. If I stick with Army I'll go to advance camp for 4 weeks this summer (rumor is it may be made 6 weeks), if I pursue PLC and get it I would most likely go to 10 weeks of OCS this summer.
In yalls opinions:
Which branch choice makes for a better family life?
Also, which has the least PC bs to put up with.
Thanks in advance for any insight!
So, you are a Junior, but you have not contracted with the Army department yet? You must be contracted by the Add/Drop date of your Junior year to stay in the program.

If you have been with the Army department since just last spring, have you attended Army Basic Training? If not, you must attend Army Basic Camp at Ft. Knox since you have not taken all of the MS level courses.

Based on what you put above, you will need to attend Basic Camp this summer, then Advanced Camp after you graduate, and you will be an End of Camp commissionee.

As for which one is the best? Well, since you are PT adverse, get an Air Force contract.

Presley OBannons Sword
The Marine Corps will give you the lowest quality of life, the most unpredictable career, and the least stable life for raising a family. The fact that you are asking about family life and also unsure which branch you want says to me you need to go army.
Get Off My Lawn
Presley OBannons Sword said:

The Marine Corps will give you the lowest quality of life, the most unpredictable career, and the least stable life for raising a family. The fact that you are asking about family life and also unsure which branch you want says to me you need to go army.

But you also the highest density of great leadership, more rounded training, and bragging rights! Plus, most of the recruits who want a join tend to be higher motivation types.

What did it for me was looking around at all the men I respected most in College Station, and realizing that most of them were Marines or on their way to becoming Marines.

I got my top choice MOS (arty), so I was fortunate in that regard. But we did hold off on having kids because of the life. The MOS selection process is another reason many choose to go a different route where they can lock in their MOS and potentially choose a better life.
Fly Army 97
Get Off My Lawn said:

But you also the highest density of great leadership, more rounded training, and bragging rights! Plus, most of the recruits who want a join tend to be higher motivation types.
Mind expanding on what you mean by more rounded training? Relative to what?
clarythedrill
Fly Army 97 said:

Get Off My Lawn said:

They are all legends in their own minds, but do have a uniform that makes Liberace all moist in his shorts.
bufrilla
AG
"Legends in their own mind"??? Legends supported by the history of United States Marine Corps.

Here's a good one for you clarythedrill!

In the beginning was the word, and the word was God.
In the beginning was God, and all else was darkness and void,and without form.
So God created the heavens and the Earth.
He created the sun, and the moon, and the stars, so that light might pierce the darkness.
The Earth, God divided between the land and the sea,and these he filled with many assorted creatures.

And the dark, salty, slimey creatures that inhabited the murkey depths of the oceans, God called sailors.
And he dressed them accordingly.
They had little trousers that looked like bells at the bottom.
And their shirts had cute little flaps on them to hide the hickeys on their necks.
He also gave them long sideburns and shabby looking beards.
God nicknamed them "squids" and banished them to a lifetime at sea, so that normal folks would not have to associate with them.
To further identify these unloved creatures, he called them "petty" and "commodore"
instead of titles worthy of red-blooded men.

And the flakey creatures of the land, God called soldiers.
And with a twinkle in his eye, and a sense of humor that only he could have, God made their trousers too short and their covers too large.
He also made their pockets oversized,so that they may warm their hands.
And to adorn their uniforms, God gave them badges in quantities that only a dime store owner could appreciate.
And he gave them emblems and crests....
and all sorts of shiny things that glittered....
and devices that dangled.
(When you are God you tend to get carried away)
On the 6th day, he thought about creating some air creatures for which he designed a Greyhound bus driver's uniform, especially for Air Force flyboys.
But he discarded the idea during the first week,and it was not until years later that some apostles resurrected this theme and established what we now know as the "wild blue yonder wonders".

And on the 7th day, as you know, God rested.
But on the 8th day, at O dark 30, God looked down upon the earth and was not happy.
God was not happy!
So he thought about his labors, and in his divine wisdom God created a divine creature.
And this he called Marine.

And these Marines, who God had created in his own image,were to be of the air, and of the land, and of the sea.
And these he gave many wonderful uniforms.
Some were green, some were blue with red trim.
And in the early days, some were even a beautiful tan.
He gave them practical fighting uniforms, so that they could wage war against the forces of Satan and evil.
He gave them service uniforms for their daily work and training.
And he gave them evening and dress uniforms.......
sharp and stylish, handsome things, so that they might promenade with their ladies on Saturday night and impress the hell out of everybody!
He even gave them swords, so that people who were not impressed, could be dealt with accordingly.
And at the end of the 8th day, God looked down upon the Earth and saw that it was good.
But was God happy?
NO!
God was still not happy!
Because in the course of his labors,
he had forgotten one thing.
He did not have a Marine uniform for himself.
But he thought about it, and thought about it,and finally satisfied himself in knowing that
NOT EVERYBODY CAN BE A MARINE!

Semper Fi
Trinity Ag
S
bufrilla said:

"Legends in their own mind"??? Legends supported by the history of United States Marine Corps.

Here's a good one for you clarythedrill!

In the beginning was the word, and the word was God.
In the beginning was God, and all else was darkness and void,and without form.
So God created the heavens and the Earth.
He created the sun, and the moon, and the stars, so that light might pierce the darkness.
The Earth, God divided between the land and the sea,and these he filled with many assorted creatures.

And the dark, salty, slimey creatures that inhabited the murkey depths of the oceans, God called sailors.
And he dressed them accordingly.
They had little trousers that looked like bells at the bottom.
And their shirts had cute little flaps on them to hide the hickeys on their necks.
He also gave them long sideburns and shabby looking beards.
God nicknamed them "squids" and banished them to a lifetime at sea, so that normal folks would not have to associate with them.
To further identify these unloved creatures, he called them "petty" and "commodore"
instead of titles worthy of red-blooded men.

And the flakey creatures of the land, God called soldiers.
And with a twinkle in his eye, and a sense of humor that only he could have, God made their trousers too short and their covers too large.
He also made their pockets oversized,so that they may warm their hands.
And to adorn their uniforms, God gave them badges in quantities that only a dime store owner could appreciate.
And he gave them emblems and crests....
and all sorts of shiny things that glittered....
and devices that dangled.
(When you are God you tend to get carried away)
On the 6th day, he thought about creating some air creatures for which he designed a Greyhound bus driver's uniform, especially for Air Force flyboys.
But he discarded the idea during the first week,and it was not until years later that some apostles resurrected this theme and established what we now know as the "wild blue yonder wonders".

And on the 7th day, as you know, God rested.
But on the 8th day, at O dark 30, God looked down upon the earth and was not happy.
God was not happy!
So he thought about his labors, and in his divine wisdom God created a divine creature.
And this he called Marine.

And these Marines, who God had created in his own image,were to be of the air, and of the land, and of the sea.
And these he gave many wonderful uniforms.
Some were green, some were blue with red trim.
And in the early days, some were even a beautiful tan.
He gave them practical fighting uniforms, so that they could wage war against the forces of Satan and evil.
He gave them service uniforms for their daily work and training.
And he gave them evening and dress uniforms.......
sharp and stylish, handsome things, so that they might promenade with their ladies on Saturday night and impress the hell out of everybody!
He even gave them swords, so that people who were not impressed, could be dealt with accordingly.
And at the end of the 8th day, God looked down upon the Earth and saw that it was good.
But was God happy?
NO!
God was still not happy!
Because in the course of his labors,
he had forgotten one thing.
He did not have a Marine uniform for himself.
But he thought about it, and thought about it,and finally satisfied himself in knowing that
NOT EVERYBODY CAN BE A MARINE!

Semper Fi
tl;dr was invented for this post.
bufrilla
AG
TrinityAg,
tl;dr......?????....just a Jarhead, I need a language expert. Say what you mean in plain words
JABQ04
AG
Too long didn't read. We can't break it down into a series of grunts or crudely drawn pictures in crayon for you
Trinity Ag
S
bufrilla said:

TrinityAg,
tl;dr......?????....just a Jarhead, I need a language expert. Say what you mean in plain words
As he said.

You can't make your jokes longer than a doctrinal manual if you want folks to read them.
bufrilla
AG
Jab,
but your short written drivel is the spoken word for everyone.
Complaint Investigator
AG
I don't read military nonsense longer than a few sentences nor do I pay attention to powerpoints.

add in something about helicopters, or fly it over in a banner, and I'm going to pay attention.
bufrilla
AG
CompInvest,
Your post very early in this conversation, was 5 paragraphs, 21 full lines. No banners, no helo's, was it nonsense.
By the way, I read the full content. Was it military nonsense?
Ok for your long post.

Sorry to expose some of you to a little reading humor.

Semper Fi
Trident 88
AG

This post hit it on the head. If you're concerned about including a wife and kids early in your life and actually spending an impactful amount of time with them, you probably shouldn't join the Marines unless you don't plan to make the Corps a career.
Federale01
AG
Quote:

It's good that Marines know their service's history. But it's their ignorance of the rest of the services' history than make them think they are special badass, gifts from God.
bufrilla
AG
Federale01,
I'm pretty well up to speed on ALL the services history, not just the USMC. My humor must not have sit well. But then the length was cause for non reading. Ah well, tough!!!

Semper Fi
Complaint Investigator
AG
bufrilla said:

Federale01,
I'm pretty well up to speed on ALL the services history, not just the USMC. My humor must not have sit well. But then the length was cause for non reading. Ah well, tough!!!

Semper Fi

You didn't spend enough time in to grow thick skin if you are getting butthurt over ribbing on the internet
Get Off My Lawn
Fly Army 97 said:

Get Off My Lawn said:

Artillery officers for example: go through 6 months of TBS as USMC 2ndLts before attending FA BOLC with USA 2LTs. That 6 months of learning the primary combat proficiency of the organization prior to splitting into specialties. Theres a networking component on top of that where you talk to those buddies and learn more about the organization simply by knowing people across it.
The Army was also (at the time) promoting to Capt 6-12mo before Marines. I always figured that was so they could start getting value out of them, since Army LTs seemed to be accepted as being effectively OJT.

ETA: then at the Capt level theres an option of Captain's Career Course, EWS, or both. So high acheivers can double up on that professional training as well. And even those who don't? They're pushed to round themselves in their weaker areas by conversation and competition with their peers.
Federale01
AG
Well if marines spend 6 more months training, then it would make sense the Army would promote 6 months faster than the marines just based on time in a leadership position. But knowing the Army, they just promoted faster because they needed more CPTS. And while there is a large element of OJT as a new 2nd LT, you are often still a platoon leader and have that responsibility. And you are definitely supposed to know your crap by the time you are a 1LT.

I really go back and forth with the marine's emphasis on infantry training for all officers. On one hand, I do think marine officers are better trained in small unit combat techniques than any army officers who are not branched Infantry. That makes sense for such a small service with limited specialization and makes them better prepared on day one when they show up at their first duty station.

While it would help all Army LTs to go through similar training, I am not sure it is needed. Of course it's good to know infantry skills no matter your branch in case you get into a fire fight or your equipment breaks down. But the overwhelming number of Army personnel will never use that training because we are far more specialized than the Marines. In my 4 years in the Army I never broke out a compass and shot an azimuth or set up an "L-shaped" ambush. I needed to train in tactics using my vehicles and that is what we focused on. So do you spend 1/8 of an officer's service obligations on techniques they won't use? I'm not sure.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.