Wild Weasel Question

2,952 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by StrangeLuv
CharlieBrown17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Why did the SEAD mission transfer to the F-16 over the F-15E? Seems like the F-15E would have been the more natural choice.

F-15E too valuable to risk? Heavier payload more useful for strike mission?
HollywoodBQ
AG
I misread Wicked Weasel and I was wondering how that related to the Military Board. I was hoping for a layout with women of the IDF.
StrangeLuv
AG
Probably would be better, but not enough of them. F-16s are cheaper. Seem to get the job done.
CanyonAg77
AG
Wondering about your possible ultimate assignment?
CharlieBrown17
AG
The 15E is definitely top of my dream sheet but the F4 is one of my favorite aircraft. Was watching a show on the Phantom and they were talking about how useful having two people was for the SEAD mission and then transitioned right into the 16 running SEAD now. Just hadn't thought about it switching from a crew served to single seat before that
74OA
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

Why did the SEAD mission transfer to the F-16 over the F-15E? Seems like the F-15E would have been the more natural choice.

F-15E too valuable to risk? Heavier payload more useful for strike mission?
All of the above, plus the roughly 250 block 50/52 F-16CJs modern sensors and avionics are several generations ahead of the F-4G in automation, making a GIB unnecessary.
AggieHighFlyer
AG
The viper is 9G capable, the mudhen is not.

Also would you rather have to fly with another dude or not. That should answer your question fo what you want to do.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Well guess we found the viper driver
bufrilla
AG
Four eyes are better than two when engaged in aerial combat. Get too fixated on a target and you have someone checking six. Pilot overload is very common in todays world.
I speak from having almost 4,000 hours in the F4Phantom, multiple air combat tours, one carrier tour, Top Gun, and might add, another combat tour as an infantry officer with 3rd Marines.
F4GIB71
Couldn't agree more with Bufrilla, but in interest of full disclosure, I am not a disinterested bystander. I've been away from the profession for a number of years. While technology is wonderful, I don't understand why a trained EWO, in conjunction with all that great Technology, wouldn't be better than one guy trying to decipher the threat by himself to protect the force.
Snooter
AG
Ef-18g's are two seaters and fulfill a similar role. For all the talk of reasoning behind it, fairly certain it boils down to the contractor sold the government on that mission. If you're filling out your dream sheet remember 1. the best airplane is the one you fly 2. What are the prospects following your time in that airplane 3. Am I going to be living in a garden spot like Almagordo/Clovis?
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

2. What are the prospects following your time in that airplane 3. Am I going to be living in a garden spot like Almagordo/Clovis?
Well, not Clovis anymore. They no longer fly F-16s there. And Alamogordo is a training base, so unless you're an instructor, no more than a year there.

True story - Daughter was being assigned to F-16s. She wanted Alamogordo, because her husband was deployed, and she wanted to be relatively close to us. She begged the assignments folks, and even tried to find someone assigned there that wanted to change places.

So, of course, the Air Force gives her Tucson.
F4GIB71
I was DEROS'ing from SEA. Had a buddy. We were same Nav school class, same F-4 RTU, at Ubon together with same DEROS date. Exact same record. I wanted to go to Eglin and he wanted Holloman (his wife was from Roswell). Guess where we were assigned. I ended up loving HMN.
Snooter
AG
Understand Clovis doesn't have vipers anymore; I was using it as a filler. Insert great location base; Eielson, grand forks, edwards, Ellsworth, Barksdale, etc. understand what you're getting yourself into when you make your decision...
Hey Nav
AG

Bunch of BAMFs.
CanyonAg77
AG
Yep. My favorite pilot has such a patch.

Fun fact, Vipers are getting new radars. Electronic scan vs. mechanical scan.

Disclaimer: All I know of the transition is from the Internet, not from inside sources.

https://breakingdefense.com/2020/01/air-national-guard-f-16s-first-to-fly-fifth-gen-radar/
Postal
AG
False
StrangeLuv
AG
We don't have many Mudhens... LOTS of Vipers. We went with he cheaper option.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.