Stolen Valor question

3,165 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by champagnepapi
proc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am no expert, but see a gentleman wearing an acu uni with a 1st Cav patch on his left shoulder, and a 10th Mountain patch on his right shoulder.
Something is not quite right here?
chickencoupe16
AG
Like you, I'm no expert, but I believe that would mean he had a combat deployment with the 10th Mountain but is currently with the 1st Cav. I know this is acceptable in ACUs and assume it is in Bs as well, but I don't know.
proc
AG
That is one place where I am wrong for sure, he is in acus.
JABQ04
AG
Going off the info you've provided it is correct. Currently serving in the 1st Cav and previous deployment with 10 MTN. Nothing wrong with that. The best of us deploy with 10th MTN.
74OA
AG
So how long can someone wear the patch of an outfit they deployed with, but aren't assigned to, after that deployment?
JABQ04
AG
74OA said:

So how long can someone wear the patch of an outfit they deployed with, but aren't assigned to, after that deployment?

Forever
74OA
AG
So always look on the left shoulder to determine what outfit a guy is currently with?
JABQ04
AG
Correct. Left sleeve is current unit or SSI (shoulder sleeve insignia) and right side is SSI - FWTS (shoulder sleeve insignia - former wartime service) or what is commonly known as the "combat patch".

This only pertains to the Army BTW. Other branches don't seem to wear unit or affiliation patches from what I've seen
74OA
AG
.....which is why it is a curiosity to this AF retiree. Thanks.
Pro Sandy
AG
JABQ04 said:

This only pertains to the Army BTW. Other branches don't seem to wear unit or affiliation patches from what I've seen
For the Navy,

Though authorized for commands on the NWUs and coveralls, I've only been at one command that had command patches.

For Khakis, your name tag might have a command logo on it. Command dependent.

For E1-E6, their jumpers do have a UIM on the sleeve, a thin patch with the command name, or some odd short hand variant of it.

Flight suits have their squadron patch on them.
Presley OBannons Sword
The army's so weird
JABQ04
AG
Presley OBannons Sword said:

The army's so weird

And the Marines are a cult
Presley OBannons Sword
a DEATH cult
aggie4231
AG
Presley OBannons Sword said:

a DEATH cult

Death by crayons
TAMUG'04 Marine Fisheries.
Presley OBannons Sword
Presley OBannons Sword
bigtruckguy3500
Question: are you a "veteran" if you get sent home from boot camp for flat feet? Just saw something on Facebook and was curious.
Ulysses90
AG
Quote:

And the Marines are a cult
Speaking of which,

Lance Corporal-in-Chief delivers triumphant state of the underground address

CanyonAg77
AG
bigtruckguy3500 said:

Question: are you a "veteran" if you get sent home from boot camp for flat feet? Just saw something on Facebook and was curious.
I went through six weeks of PLC, and decided not to return for the next summer's camp and eventual commissioning. Does that make me a veteran?

In case you wondered, I say "not even close". Seems like you ought to, at minimum, finish boot camp or get commissioned.
Ulysses90
AG
Quote:

In terms of VA categorization, no. For the past ~45 years there has been what is called an "Entry Level Separation" for those who wash out before they have been on active duty 180 days. They get no VA benefits and no characterization of service (e.g. honorable, general, BCD, DD) and should no be referring to themselves as Veterans. Even someone who gets hurt at bootcamp seriously enough to be medically retired will be on active duty longer than 180 days just for the time it takes to process the medical separation.
bigtruckguy3500
That's what I figured. I've known this guy for a while. At one point he posted pictures of him sleeping with an "M16 they let him take home from boot camp." Interestingly the flash suppressor was under the pillow, so I couldn't confirm my suspicion that it was an airsoft gun.
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

"M16 they let him take home from boot camp."
Damn! Wish I'd known that! I would be enlisting every few weeks!
bufrilla
AG
"Take M-16 home", that's complete BS. That would never happen. During my Boot Camp days, those that 'washed out' didn't even keep their uniforms/equipment. It was taken up.
bigtruckguy3500
This was a while ago. Can't remember all the details, but I have my doubts he actually went to boot camp. He provided this big back story that basically was along the lines of "you can go to jail or you can join the military because you're super smart and we need people like you." Then he stopped communicating with anyone for some time, and showed back up having lost some weight and saying he got sent home because of flat feet. I got my feet checked at MEPS, so I don't know.
CanyonAg77
AG
The real question is why you bought even 0.00001% of his bullcrap.
n_touch
Do they really send prople home for that? My feet are about as flat as a piece of paper and it didnt cause any problems
bigtruckguy3500
I've seen plenty of sailors have really flat feet and need arch supports, and I was checked at MEPS. So who knows. His story originally started while I was still in high school, and even then I had my doubts. But, I dunno, I let people have their moments if they're not harming anyone.
champagnepapi
Wow, Stolen Valor?

Deployment patch under the flag and current unit patch on the left shoulder.

You must not "Army"!
champagnepapi
STOLEN VALOR

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.