Fish Privileges

11,775 Views | 86 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Jock 07
TXAggieMom11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So.... fish were just notified that they may have a microwave, refrigerator and coffeemaker in their room. All to help better the nutrition of the cadets.
What do they get to earn now?
CT'97
AG
Wait, mom's are getting mad about fish getting privileges now?
INOX
I entered the Air Force back in the 80's and back then we were the equivalent of today's so called snow flakes. I guess people just like to complain.
TXAggieMom11
As a parent of a former and current cadet yes I am complaining. What privileges do they have to wait for? A rug? Fitted sheets? This is supposed to help nutrition? So will they only be allowed nutritious foods? Doubtful.
Helicopter moms and dads I am sure are behind this. Part of the fun of fish year is hiding contraband snacks. Having a big jar of protein
spread not peanut butter. It is all part of the fun and learning process. It saddens me to see it taken away.
hillcountryag86
AG
For some reason, this thread is very odd...
Jock 07
AG
beer can be quite nutritious, I say they should get that in their rooms as well.
TXAggieMom11
Why because a mom gets it and it isn't an old CT or BQ complaining?
hillcountryag86
AG
Both of my parents were very interested in A&M and spent countless weekends in CS to see my two sisters and me over several years. Dad was in the Corps, '49.

But neither ever cared one bit what privileges I ever had or didn't have.

Had Mom and / or Dad paid that much attention, and then griped about it on some equivalent of a message board back then, I would have put them in the category of 'helicopter parents.'

Martin87
AG
I guess that things (and waistlines) in the Corps will continue to evolve...
sharpdressedman
Whatever helps improve the retention stats...
chickencoupe16
AG
sharpdressedman said:

This X 1000
CharlieBrown17
AG
I had a buddy send our group a screenshot of a fish parent saying this in one of the corps parent pages, I texted one of the guys I trust in my old outfit and he said he hadn't heard anything about it yet.
JABQ04
AG
Jock 07 said:

beer can be quite nutritious, I say they should get that in their rooms as well.

Thank god I was done before the quad went dry.
rebag00
AG
sharpdressedman said:

Really? "Whatever helps"? I am all for retention efforts. Is this helping?

At what point does it go from a well meaning idea to increase retention and address parent concerns to something that further waters down an experience that most of us would no longer recognize?
Jock 07
AG
JABQ04 said:

Jock 07 said:

Thank god I was done before the quad went dry.

I can neither confirm nor deny that there was still booze in the dorms through at least 2007
CharlieBrown17
AG
rebag00 said:

sharpdressedman said:

At what point does it go from a well meaning idea to increase retention and address parent concerns to something that further waters down an experience that most of us would no longer recognize?

He's on your side of the issue
hillcountryag86
AG
rebag00 said:

sharpdressedman said:

Think you missed the sarcasm.
rebag00
AG
hillcountryag86 said:

rebag00 said:

sharpdressedman said:

Think you missed the sarcasm.
Apparently...

My bad. Carry on!
INOX
Where is the source of this news?
chickencoupe16
AG
INOX said:

Where is the source of this news?

#NotABull
JR69
AG
Fish have privileges?
GottaRide
S
My current member son said that it isn't true but the rumor did make the rounds.
AggieBaseball06
AG
TXAggieMom11 said:

As a parent of a former and current cadet yes I am complaining. What privileges do they have to wait for? A rug? Fitted sheets? This is supposed to help nutrition? So will they only be allowed nutritious foods? Doubtful.
Helicopter moms and dads I am sure are behind this. Part of the fun of fish year is hiding contraband snacks. Having a big jar of protein
spread not peanut butter. It is all part of the fun and learning process. It saddens me to see it taken away.

When you say "this", do you mean this rumored policy change or this thread?
hillcountryag86
AG
So, what's the verdict? Were the fish notified or is this some reaction to a rumor?
93Spur
Something's definitely awry here.

Who decided freshmen in the Corps of Cadets are referenced with a capital F? This just seems wrong.

[Makes fist, shakes at sky, head shaken left to right several times, kicks ground, shuffles off].

CharlieBrown17
AG
hillcountryag86 said:

So, what's the verdict? Were the fish notified or is this some reaction to a rumor?

Well the two of us that talked to current cadets were told they knew nothing about it so...
hillcountryag86
AG
So, much ado about nothing or what?
AGGies0311
WHO CARES????!!!!

THEIR COUNTERPARTS IN THE ENLISTED MILITARY GET THOSE THINGS.....

THEIR PEERS LVING ON CAMPUS GET THEM, THEREFORE WHY SHOULD THE FISH NOT GET THOSE "PRIVILEGES"???

IF IT MAKES YOU FEEL ANY BETTER THEY WONT KNOW HOW TO USE MOST OF THOSE APPLIANCES, JUST LIKE THEIR PEERS.
74OA
AG
The fish experience is not intended to parallel that of their "peers" on campus except in the classroom. That's the point of joining the Corps...........
CharlieBrown17
AG
AGGies0311 said:

WHO CARES????!!!!

THEIR COUNTERPARTS IN THE ENLISTED MILITARY GET THOSE THINGS.....

THEIR PEERS LVING ON CAMPUS GET THEM, THEREFORE WHY SHOULD THE FISH NOT GET THOSE "PRIVILEGES"???

IF IT MAKES YOU FEEL ANY BETTER THEY WONT KNOW HOW TO USE MOST OF THOSE APPLIANCES, JUST LIKE THEIR PEERS.

You're telling me you think 18 year olds are incapable of using a fridge, coffee pot or microwave effectively?
AGGies0311
I know a bunch that don't know how to make their own coffee ....
AGGies0311
Bottom line is.... who cares. It doesn't affect you and if you don't support them because they have fridges in their room then you need to re-evaluate your life.

The Corps is not trying to make super soldiers, it's trying to make leaders of character.
Ordhound04
AG
I would have killed for a coffee maker fish year.
TXAggie03
AG
Refrigerator?!?!

fish should be chilling their beers in the AC vent and enjoying it at an icy 70 degrees like me and my fish buddies did back in '99!!
Jock 07
AG
TXAggie03 said:

Refrigerator?!?!

fish should be chilling their beers in the AC vent and enjoying it at an icy 70 degrees like me and my fish buddies did back in '99!!

Yup, the original fish fridge.
Do they even have that return vent in the renovated dorms?
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.