Corps Changes

8,710 Views | 57 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by ABATTBQ87
AGGies0311
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So I know Cadre are meeting his week..... where's the whining about all the changes to the corps?? Cadetruncorps?
Charlie 31
AG
We have all just accepted that Ol' Army is dead.
74OA
AG
Speaking of changes, I'm hoping one of the Commandant's staff will hang out of a fourth stoop window and give us a quality elevated clip of the entire Corps assembling for the first time on the new Quad for morning chow.

After all, the first time only happens once..........
HollywoodBQ
AG
Hanging out the window would be cool but... in 2017, hopefully we can get some drone footage.
93Spur

Agreed. With a drone, or a camera atop Duncan, it would be great to get a parallel to this 1940 image from when The New Area was at its newest.
74OA
AG
HollywoodBQ said:

Hanging out the window would be cool but... in 2017, hopefully we can get some drone footage.
OUCH! No need to rub my oldness in so hard, bud...........
CT'97
AG
I really wish they would just tear down the dorms and resurrect the tent city. Then maybe bring back some wolves so cadets would have to stand watch all night and couldn't leave the peremiter. After 1905 it all went down hill.
HollywoodBQ
AG
74OA said:

HollywoodBQ said:

OUCH! No need to rub my oldness in so hard, bud...........
Don't feel bad. I do the same thing at work. I'm in Information Technology and I have my own personal beliefs about how a large company's data center should be staffed and managed. But occasionally, I'll say "Cloud" just to make people think that I'm progressive

A&M had rooftop cameras back in the late 90s. Bonfire stack was the final thing I looked at before I shut off my computer and went to bed in the wee hours of November 18, 1999.
aggiejim70
AG
Interesting picture. Now, can some of you Corps/BQ historians chime in? Why were there 16 bugles with banners for such a relatively small band. Why do I see only two pairs of boots, the drum major and the gentleman in rank one file one, who I assume in the FTAB CO? Was there only one drum major in those days?

Somewhere in that picture is George Summerville '42, an Aggie's Aggie. The old gentleman passed away in the spring of 2014. My Aggie Math tells me he was 94 years old when he spoke to the FTAB after the 2014 Battle of Flowers parade. Class of '42......Think about this. Lazy Sunday afternoon and somebody ducks in your room and says "turn on your radio, anybody know where Pearl Harbor is?"

The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
bigtruckguy3500
I see two more boots. Last file, one of the middle ranks, and very last rank between the sousaphones.

My understanding is that boots weren't as common back then as they are now. And the zips that did have them didn't wear them everyday.
BQ_90
AG
I'm amazed in that picture how un-uniform the uniforms are
Rabid Cougar
AG
That was very common of WWII era uniforms.
45-70Ag
AG
Is that a fire hydrant?
hillcountryag86
AG
BQ's seem to be thinner back then.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Actual answer, I'm dead now but the cadre I talked to said the cadre policy change brief they were given was pretty short so they "could focus on FOW". So any major changes will be announced once the entire Corps is back and have the full Corps policy change brief.
93Spur
Irish_Man said:

Is that a fire hydrant?
Yes. Course, that is under what is now the front entrance to Duncan Dining Hall. An open space in 1940.
hillcountryag86
AG
Anyone know if there are 'comfort' animals on the quad?
OldArmy71
AG
My father was a fish in 1940, so I have his yearbooks.

There was indeed only one drum major.

The bands were divided into the Infantry Band and the Field Artillery Band.

Both bands had the traditional photo taken in front of the Administration Building. There are a total of 33 seniors wearing boots in the two pictures. As was said above, many seniors did not wear their boots every day in those days; there was even a pejorative nickname for those who did, but I can't remember it offhand.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Nobody wore boots every day I knew of !

At one time there was a Fish Band !
BigJim49AustinnowDallas
McInnis80
Did they play at the fish games? As a kid I remember seeing games scores for the Texas A&M fish against the Baylor Cubs, the Houston Kittens and the Texas Shorthorns.
ABATTBQ87
AG
McInnis80 said:

Did they play at the fish games? As a kid I remember seeing games scores for the Texas A&M fish against the Baylor Cubs, the Houston Kittens and the Texas Shorthorns.
from the 1958 Aggieland (Dad's senior year)

mickeyrig06sq3
AG
Whoa, just googled what a Wog was. Different times.
ABATTBQ87
AG
mickeyrig06sq3 said:

Whoa, just googled what a Wog was. Different times.
probably short for Pollywog = a tadpole
CanyonAg77
AG
aggiejim70 said:

Why were there 16 bugles with banners for such a relatively small band.
Actually, there are 18. Perhaps that's just the way they did drills "back in the day". We were always 12 wide by however many long it took to get everyone in. They are formed up here 9 wide. I wonder if they marched at halftime 18 wide.

Bugle Rank was an honor back in my days. Could be it was no big deal then. Or maybe it was.

Regarding the boots, Aggies had only been out of the West Point grey uniforms for 23 years by then. Maybe boots weren't the cherished tradition they are now. I have read some accounts of cadets in 1917 who hated the change. And the Great Depression wasn't over by 1940. Lots of those guys were probably doing well to stay in school and afford the standard uniform.
CanyonAg77
AG
mickeyrig06sq3 said:

Whoa, just googled what a Wog was. Different times..
This is why you don't trust Google.

It didn't mean what Google says, "a person who is not white". First, we're not British. Second, as mentioned above, the freshman teams were named off the varsity team. Shorthorns for the Longhorns, Pollywogs for Horned Frogs, Picadors for Matadors (TTech)
ABATTBQ87
AG
Quote:

Bugle Rank was an honor back in my days. Could be it was no big deal then. Or maybe it was.
There is a gentleman Aggie class of 48 who lives here in Marble Falls who entered A&M in August of 1944 and was a member of the band.

He and I have had some fun conversations about the Band of the 40's and the 80's.

He told me that Col Dunn called him into his office one day and told him since he wasn't that great at playing an instrument would he consider being on bugle rank since all the juniors and seniors were gone. Fish Jones agreed and so he marched the 1944 season as a member of bugle rank.
ABATTBQ87
AG
1944 Aggie Band; Check out the lower left pictures and see how many Bugle Rank member there are.

BoerneGator
AG
aggiejim70 said:

HInteresting picture. Now, can some of you Corps/BQ historians chime in? Why were there 16 bugles with banners for such a relatively small band. Why do I see only two pairs of boots, the drum major and the gentleman in rank one file one, who I assume in the FTAB CO? Was there only one drum major in those days?

Somewhere in that picture is George Summerville '42, an Aggie's Aggie. The old gentleman passed away in the spring of 2014. My Aggie Math tells me he was 94 years old when he spoke to the FTAB after the 2014 Battle of Flowers parade. Class of '42......Think about this. Lazy Sunday afternoon and somebody ducks in your room and says "turn on your radio, anybody know where Pearl Harbor is?"

I love the color of the boots in that photo. Mine were that same light shade, though most zips opted for the darker, burgundy shade. As a fish in ' 67, I lived in dorm 10, (just out of sight in left foreground) and we fell out for formation right there! That was 50 years ago, to the day!!

I used to smoke cigars with you at Fink's, Jim. Donny Summerville ' 73 was a Gator with me (' 71).

BTHO ucla!
74OA
AG
Well, I'd hoped there'd be some sort of "First Fall-Out" video of the entire Corps on the new Quad for the first time, but I can't find one..........anyone?
Warrior 66
Not yet, but we are working a plan to take both photo and video of the entire Corps on the Quad for formation.

Unfortunately, we still do not have all cadets back on campus due to the hurricane. We also have at least 26 cadets deployed with the Texas Army National Guard in support of relief operations for the hurricane, with more possible on tap to deploy soon.

Hopefully by next week we can get some photos and video of the entire Corps on the newly renovated Quad that we can share with everyone.

Thanks for all the "vintage" photos that so many have posted. We've gotten some great ideas for a current photo of the Corps as a result. And like some of you, I am also curious why there are 16 Bugle Banners in the Aggie Band in some of those photos!

Beat the Hell Outta Harvey! And Beat the Hell Outta UCLA!!
74OA
AG
Thanks much!

Maybe a formation when they're all looking sharp in uniform--no pt gear?

Looking forward to it..........
mickeyrig06sq3
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

mickeyrig06sq3 said:

Whoa, just googled what a Wog was. Different times..
This is why you don't trust Google.

It didn't mean what Google says, "a person who is not white". First, we're not British. Second, as mentioned above, the freshman teams were named off the varsity team. Shorthorns for the Longhorns, Pollywogs for Horned Frogs, Picadors for Matadors (TTech)

That makes a helluva lot more sense. I've never heard the term pollywog before. Was wondering why they weren't called tadpoles. Turns out, they were. The world makes sense again.
74OA
AG
HollywoodBQ said:

Corps will form-up for the first march-in from the new Quad for this weekend's game. Maybe there'll be historic drone footage of it?
74OA
AG
Commandant79 said:

Not yet, but we are working a plan to take both photo and video of the entire Corps on the Quad for formation.

Unfortunately, we still do not have all cadets back on campus due to the hurricane. We also have at least 26 cadets deployed with the Texas Army National Guard in support of relief operations for the hurricane, with more possible on tap to deploy soon.

Hopefully by next week we can get some photos and video of the entire Corps on the newly renovated Quad that we can share with everyone.

Thanks for all the "vintage" photos that so many have posted. We've gotten some great ideas for a current photo of the Corps as a result. And like some of you, I am also curious why there are 16 Bugle Banners in the Aggie Band in some of those photos!

Beat the Hell Outta Harvey! And Beat the Hell Outta UCLA!!
???????????????
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Don't know if Fish band played at Fish games for sure .
BigJim49AustinnowDallas
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.