Corps Changes

8,699 Views | 57 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by ABATTBQ87
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Similar picture was in Life magazine in 1949 - not sure about date' I have it but I'm too lazy to find it

( have to dig through too much stuff ) !

Update - got off my rear and went through some stuff w/o finding it. will keep looking .
BigJim49AustinnowDallas
Warrior 66
740A - relax. We'll get it done.
OldArmy71
AG
I remember that photo. Can't find it offhand.
93Spur
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas said:

Similar picture was in Life magazine in 1949 - not sure about date' I have it but I'm too lazy to find it

Update - got off my rear and went through some stuff w/o finding it. will keep looking .

This one. From 1949 Life Magazine
93Spur
Given significance in part is the rejuvenation of The New Area, when the opportunity arises, still better to shoot down the Quad.

But, need to wait till all students back on campus and can get organized. Most importantly, photos like this are not staged, but rather simply images of everyday cadet life.

Compare the 1940 photo to this 1948/49.

74OA
AG
93Spur said:

BigJim49 AustinNowDallas said:

This one. From 1949 Life Magazine
Wow.
ABATTBQ87
AG
ABATTBQ87
AG
ABATTBQ87
AG
1949 Aggieland:

ABATTBQ87
AG
74OA
AG
The annual dance with TWU gals was still going on in my day. We called it the "pig push" and soon learned the girls called it the "goon grab". Good fun. Lots of stories.
ABATTBQ87
AG
Good Night Ladies:

BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Thanks everybody ! Great pics!
BigJim49AustinnowDallas
INOX
Love this pic and the American flag with her 48 stars.
Warrior 66
Great pics! Love seeing the Corps from back in the day as captured in those photos! Thanks to all for sharing.

We are planning to stage a photo of the entire Corps in front of Duncan, running north on the sidewalks. Not quite sure exactly how we'll line up the units, but I have asked my team to use some of these photos as a basis for ideas on how we might do it. We'll try to make it look as good as many of these are!

I will post pictures once we have taken the photos of the Corps and determine which ones truly "represent" as well as the ones on this thread.

Thanks for your love and support of our Corps! Beat the Hell Outta the Ragin' Cajuns!
ABATTBQ87
AG
fill up the two paved areas with outfits; Corps staff, regiment, brigade and wing staffs in front of the flag pole and the Aggie Band along the middle sidewalks.

74OA
AG
To do justice to this effort, I keep going back to the drone suggestion. I bet a cadet has one.

Going to take some altitude for the photo/clip to fully capture the new Quad and today's huge Corps.
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

Note that in the photo at upper right, more people are spread across the rear of the frame than in the front. Makes it look more square. The most extreme version are these WWI photos, where there may only be 20 soldiers in front, and hundreds in the rear ranks, to make the perspective correct.

ABATTBQ87
AG
74OA said:

To do justice to this effort, I keep going back to the drone suggestion. I bet a cadet has one.

Going to take some altitude for the photo/clip to fully capture the new Quad and today's huge Corps.
Corps of 1949 was 3,800 per the article; today's Corps 2,530
74OA
AG
ABATTBQ87 said:

74OA said:

Corps of 1949 was 3,800 per the article; today's Corps 2,530
So you're saying I'm wrong?! Thought we were at 3000 now. I hate it when I use up my error quota so long before New Year's......
Warrior 66
We started the year at 2560. And we already have some photos using a drone that our media folks own. Only issue is we have to fly the drone really low to get the fidelity of photo we are looking for with over 2500 cadets on parade. Its not as easy as you think.

We're working some ideas, but I am probably going to start with a photo taken from the top of Duncan, with the entire Corps in formation in front of Duncan, lined up on the sidewalks going north (several vintage photos on this thread of the Corps formed like that). Can we get the entire Corps in that photo? Doubtful. But then again, none of the photos taken from Duncan shown in earlier threads show the entire Corps either. But we'll start with that, then continue to work the photos of the Corps in the center of the Quad using a drone.

And by the way, the Corps forms up for formation pretty much as described above, with the Corps formed in the center of the Quad, around the flag pole. When we form for step-off on game day, the Corps Staff is north of the flag pole, major units on the 2 parade decks, and the Aggie Band is still on the sidewalks in front of dorms 9 & 10. Cannon is back in the center of the Quad to fire, right in front of the original plaque commemorating where the cannon first fired on the Quad back in the 80s.

Again, once we have some good photos to show, we'll share on this thread and our social media forums.
74OA
AG
Commandant79 said:

740A - relax. We'll get it done.
While waiting on the formal "old school" Corps mass portrait, still hoping to see a quality fall-out drone clip on the new Quad....
74OA
AG
ttt
ABATTBQ87
AG
74OA said:

ttt
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.