Vietnam

1,882 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by LewisChilds
Presley OBannons Sword
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm an avid Vietnam history enthusiast, mainly regarding post WWII Vietnam. I'd really like to take a trip there someday and visit all of these areas that I have read so much about. I have no idea what a trip like that would entail. I know people go there a lot, but is it considered safe? Is it easy to travel around the country? Has anyone here been in recent years?
The Kraken
AG
You might try the travel board. I've never been but everything I've read is that it's very safe as well as affordable.
74OA
AG
I've heard Vietnam is very safe and friendly. Combat tours are apparently big business all over the Pacific: For Example
clarythedrill
When I win the Mega Millions lottery, which I am sure will occur any day now, I am going to sail to every island or atoll in the pacific that the Army fought at during WWII and explore the battlegrounds. Would love to take a metal detector too.

I love to use Google Earth to drill down on little islands or atolls, find their name, and look them up on Wiki to learn about them. I swear, every island or atoll I come across has an old military outpost from one of our branches of service from back in the day. Pretty interesting to see the old buildings and barracks that are still standing but abandoned.
Presley OBannons Sword
Quote:

I love to use Google Earth to drill down on little islands or atolls, find their name, and look them up on Wiki to learn about them. I swear, every island or atoll I come across has an old military outpost from one of our branches of service from back in the day. Pretty interesting to see the old buildings and barracks that are still standing but abandoned.
YES!!! I thought I was the only person who does this obsessively. I read a lot of history stuff, and I'm always looking up places on google earth. It's almost surreal.

Thanks for the feedback guys.
The Kraken
AG
Ha! I do the same thing! I love to explore remote islands and imagine what it would be like to visit or live there.
bigtruckguy3500
I find abandoned buildings really interesting.

Also, I had a bunch of Vietnamese friends in high school, and they went back frequently without issues. Granted they looked like the locals and spoke the language, but I never heard any concern from them.
FCBlitz
I worked in Danang, Vietnam in the last 5 years. Did lots of site seeing. Last time I was in country earlier this year I spent two days riding along Laos and found Hamburger Hill. Ran out of daylight and did not make it to top of Hamburger Hill. The next time I am in country I will go back and start climbing to the top in the morning so I have plenty of time to take it all in.

Vietnam is an absolutely beautiful place to visit and ultra easy to travel if you are good with riding a moto.

Presley OBannons Sword
FCBlitz said:

I worked in Danang, Vietnam in the last 5 years. Did lots of site seeing. Last time I was in country earlier this year I spent two days riding along Laos and found Hamburger Hill. Ran out of daylight and did not make it to top of Hamburger Hill. The next time I am in country I will go back and start climbing to the top in the morning so I have plenty of time to take it all in.

Vietnam is an absolutely beautiful place to visit and ultra easy to travel if you are good with riding a moto.

is riding a motorcycle the only real option for getting yourself around the country without planes/trains?
sharpdressedman
74OA said:

I've heard Vietnam is very safe and friendly. Combat tours are apparently big business all over the Pacific: For Example
Check with Sen. Blumenthal about his guiding you through his Viet Nam wartime experience. It should be very reasonably priced and not overly lengthy.
FCBlitz
Yes. Unless you hire a driver.

Email me at swalker65aticlouddotcom
BoerneGator
AG
Quote:

...and not overly lengthy.
LewisChilds
AG
My 77-year-old father recently did a two-week vacation in Vietnam and Cambodia. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.