Corps Trip?

4,562 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Quito
Quito
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Will there still be a Corps Trip and Review through downtown Ft Worth before the Arky game?

Someone on the football board alluded to no Coros Trip.
Quito
AG
I take it that nobody knows if there will be a Corps Trip this year?
TXAggieMom11
There will not be a Corps trip at all this year. The weekend of the Arkansas game is an open weekend for the Corps. The band will travel but will not march in. Reason given was if they did a Corps trip to Arlington there would not be an open weekend until late October.
ABATTBQ87
AG
TXAggieMom11 said:

There will not be a Corps trip at all this year. The weekend of the Arkansas game is an open weekend for the Corps. The band will travel but will not march in. Reason given was if they did a Corps trip to Arlington there would not be an open weekend until late October.
boo freakin hoo.....there is another thread about some BQ juniors complaining about traveling to Florida because they will lose a weekend...
TXAggieMom11
When my class of '11 was a fish 10 years ago they didn't have an open weekend until late October either; they all survived. No Corps trip that year either as it was a home game against tu. This years fish are being screwed out of a lot of fun and memories.
pingpro4
AG
Freaking Snowflakes can't go 2 months without seeing mommy and daddy! Good grief....
bigtruckguy3500
pingpro4 said:

Freaking Snowflakes can't go 2 months without seeing mommy and daddy! Good grief....
Open weekends aren't just about "seeing mommy and daddy." When I was a fish our open weekend was spent on a fish trip for us to bond off the quad, and work on a project for our outfit. Although I do suppose one member of our class got to see their parents because we went to their house.

Also, academics are far more rigorous now than they were 20 years ago, or even when I was in 10 years ago. And if these cadets want to get their first choice when they branch, or go on to grad school, or get a good entry level job at an engineering firm, they're going to need a solid 3.5 or higher.
ABATTBQ87
AG
Quote:

Also, academics are far more rigorous now than they were 20 years ago, or even when I was in 10 years ago. And if these cadets want to get their first choice when they branch, or go on to grad school, or get a good entry level job at an engineering firm, they're going to need a solid 3.5 or higher.
Looks like the College of Agriculture students have it harder than those engineering students:

Texas A&M College of Engineering has 11,820 students in the college as of May 2017.

Of those students, 65% have a 3.0 GPA or higher in the Spring 2017 semester; (The GPA Distribution Report provides a statistical analysis of undergraduate student achievement for a specific term within each of the academic colleges and for the university as a whole. Figures for student achievement within specific GPA ranges are reported by classification and gender.)

https://web-as.tamu.edu/gradereport/PDFReports/20171/gpad20171EN.pdf

59% have a Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or greater (The Cumulative GPA Report provides a statistical analysis of cumulative achievement for students across their entire undergraduate career. Figures for student achievement within specific GPA ranges are reported by classification and gender.)

https://web-as.tamu.edu/gradereport/PDFReports/20171/gpac20171EN.pdf

The Texas A&M College of Agriculture has 6,016 students in the college as of May 2017.

Of those students, 63% have a 3.0 GPA or higher in the Spring 2017 semester; (The GPA Distribution Report provides a statistical analysis of undergraduate student achievement for a specific term within each of the academic colleges and for the university as a whole. Figures for student achievement within specific GPA ranges are reported by classification and gender.)

https://web-as.tamu.edu/gradereport/PDFReports/20171/gpad20171AG.pdf

56% have a Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or greater (The Cumulative GPA Report provides a statistical analysis of cumulative achievement for students across their entire undergraduate career. Figures for student achievement within specific GPA ranges are reported by classification and gender.)

https://web-as.tamu.edu/gradereport/PDFReports/20171/gpac20171AG.pdf
Aggie Infantry
AG
Corps trips (82-86) were at every away game (DFW, Waco, Houston) and were mandatory and were at your own expense.

My, how things have changed...
bigtruckguy3500
You're basing difficulty of the curriculum off GPA? A few things to keep in mind here:

1) The washout rate of freshmen engineers is pretty high (at least it was when I was there). In my outfit, something like 20 of us started out in engineering, 2 of us finished in engineering.
2) The people that tend to choose engineering, and those that make it past the math courses, tend to be the types that get pretty good grades (I was most definitely not one of them).
3) Engineering doesn't tolerate lower GPAs. You need as high as a 3.25 just to get into some upper level engineering degrees. That's automatically going to self select for those with higher GPAs, bringing up the average.
4) If someone decides to go over the the college of agriculture just to get whatever degree they can get and get out of there, without caring about GPA, that would bring down the average, making it appear as though it was harder than engineering.
Quito
AG
Engineering was pre-Ag in my day
ABATTBQ87
AG
GPA = Bench Mark Scoreboard; commandant brags about cadet GPA is higher than the student body and does not differentiate by degree plans, simply "The Corps GPA."

I understand the importance of the GPA but also understand the purpose and advantages of the Corps to develop a well-rounded candidate/employee, and the ability of Cadets to juggle multiple projects/events in a certain amount of time.
HollywoodBQ
AG
When I was a fish (back in the days when the whole band went to all the Football games - home & away), we had two Corps Trips - Houston (Rice) and t.u. SMU had the death penalty at the time so TCU was the Corps trip my 2nd year along with Houston (Cougar High).

Now obviously, that was SWC days and we're in the SEC era now so schools are farther away, seating isn't as available because instead of playing to 70,000 seat stadiums that are 2/3rds empty, we're playing in 100,000 seat stadiums that are sold out.

Personally, I think that the Corps Trips were a great way to teach cadets how to "figure it out". The mission was defined, the cadets had little to no resources to accomplish the mission but they always did. In my outfit, maybe 6 out of roughly 25 fish had vehicles. Our first Corps Trip was Rice and maybe 20% of our buddies were from Houston. So, when we all showed up in Downtown Houston at the prescribed time for the parade, I was amazed. And again in Austin, Fort Worth, etc., etc.

There were always stories, hi-jinks and somebody always forgot a uniform part or whatever. But those events were one of the great learning points and maturation opportunities provided by being in the Corps. Sometimes you have to be forced to learn. And often you learn that there is more than one way to do it.

One of my favorite "learning opportunities" was our 2nd year when one of my buddies (who was a complete dewsh BTW) got rammed for stopping at a gas station and shopping in half Bs. Some Corps Staff guy happened to also stop at the same gas station. Since my buddy was a drummer, he thought the uniform rules didn't apply to him. As it turns out, he was wrong and found out the hard way.

Personally, I hear so much alleged focus on grades these days and I just wonder if maybe we haven't let up too much on the Corps Experience. Or maybe being in the Corps means something different today.

As I've mentioned on this board before, I have a cadet who just finished the Ratline at VMI. While that was a great accomplishment, the better accomplishment is staying in the University. At VMI, they lose a few "Rats" to - "this isn't for me", honor violations, finances, etc. but, they lose about 20% to academics. The reason I bring that up for comparison is that if we continued to have a Texas A&M Corps of Cadets that was just as challenging as ever but 20% of our cadets didn't make it academically, that wouldn't be something to be proud of either.

I think there's a balance in their somewhere. Hopefully the Corps Trips are something that doesn't get forgotten about after it doesn't happen for a year.
HollywoodBQ
AG
This made me think about something I did with my team at work which subconsciously is like a Corps Trip.

About 5 years ago, I took over the management of a team of 45-55 year old guys who were frankly - a bunch of individuals. Just like how rock bands get tight by going on the road and playing lots of shows together, I had the opportunity to bring my team on a series of corporate events across Asia.

What I found. A guy who worked for me who was 50 years old did not have a passport and had only been to Mexico. A guy who worked for me who was 55 years old and was a million mile flier on United, wouldn't leave his hotel room when we got to India. My 5'5" Indian guy traveled with 4 suitcases because he had to bring gifts for his family in Delhi. All of us had hassles with getting visas to go to China. My chainsmoker guy just about died in Australia where smokes are $20 a pack. He made up for it in Japan where half the guys are chainsmokers. And just like a Corps Trip, one of my guys wound up drinking too much when we were in Tokyo and almost couldn't perform.

That trip is what helped forge my team. Since then, we have all had a pretty good working relationship because we learned who can do what and under what conditions. And, most importantly, how do they handle accomplishing the mission when things don't go to plan or when conflicting criteria make it very difficult to accomplish multiple tasks in succession.

Long-rant but, I just wanted to say that lessons learned from Corps Trips do have real world implications. Even years later.

Oh my, one more Corps Trip similarity. Me and two of my guys had too pool our spare Yen together because the Narita Express Train ticket machine at Shinjuku station didn't take American Express and we needed about 6500 Yen to buy 3 train tickets. When we boarded the train to the airport, we literally had about 200 Yen left (about $2 USD) between 3 of us. And I'm talking about 3 guys who earn plenty of money (the Swiss guy especially, definitely earns well more than the TexAgs $200K minimum) but we could have just as well been Texas Aggies - "I'd rather be out on a Corps Trip, no dime to my name".

ABATTBQ87
AG
The one trip that I'll never forget was to Fayetteville in November 1984.

It was a cold, wet miserable event but what made it even more exciting was that half the band didn't show up on time due to busses being lost.

So those of us who were there formed up and marched to our seating area and were told that if the rest of the band didn't make it, we would not march half time.

Right after the first quarter ended here comes the rest of the band, including Col Haney.

What a relief we thought. With 7 minutes left in the quarter we started moving towards the north endzone but were told to remove our raingear because a senior left his raingear in College Station, and if one marches without raingear, we all march without raingear.

aggiejim70
AG
Refresh my memory. Didn't the game turn in our favor just after the FTAB showed up?
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
ABATTBQ87
AG
aggiejim70 said:

Refresh my memory. Didn't the game turn in our favor just after the FTAB showed up?
No, outscored 28-0 and team was very lethargic and unmotivated

The next week we beat Tcu and then tu to finish the season 6-5.
aggiejim70
AG
Yes, you're right. Thank you for the reply. This getting old ain't for sissies. The years, the games, and the stories all start to run together.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
Corps trips are some if my favorite memories. I understand the distance to travel to SEC games but the Arkansas game in Arlington should always be a Corps trip. My buddies and I still tell stories about our trips, all four years of them. They range from one of our fish buddies high-porting a broom drunk through some swanky Houston neighborhood to swiping beer from BQs at a bar in Austin. The BQs couldn't figure out how their full pitchers of beer kept ending up mysteriously empty.

I don't think we had an open weekend until Thanksgiving when we were fish. Our first open weekend was a mandatory fish cut at Bonfire. There is no excuse for not having at least one Corps trip each year. I think the Trigon has forgotten what the Corps experience is all about.
Animal
AG
2 Things:
First, it is not the cadets making the decision not to have a Corps trip, so calling them whiny snowflakes is probably is probably misappropriating your angst...

Second, Hollywood's story brought to mind a funny moment.

At our company meeting right after that Corps trip our C/O is reading off announcements and he reads one to the effect that some Sergebutts were seen pumping gas in half B's and that uniform regs are to be observed at all times yada yada yada. He then asks our Juniors if that was them and without missing a beat one of our Butts replied: "no Danny, we used full service!"

Had to be there I'm sure but it was all that this Pisshead could do to hold it together!
BQ_90
AG
Not a Corps trip but my favorite memory was pisshead year going to Waco. Buds load up in couple cars and off to Waco. None of us had clue that stadium wasn't on campus. So we need to change and find stadium, so we pull in student union or whatever they call it. We head off to the crapper to change into summer As, then we come out and start walking around to ask where the damn stadium is. Well we walk right into some big alumni reception. They where not helpful. Probable didn't help that couple buddies where on loading crew and decked out in their loading crew gear. We some how we found the crap stadium just in time to unload
HollywoodBQ
AG
That game, Baylor in Fall '87, was the only time I ever saw the FTAB prior to joining in Fall '88.

The performance was good but it was that wall of sound that blew me away. I was sitting opposite the band on the Baylor side up pretty high. I think the ticket cost next to nothing or maybe was even free.

That's when I decided that IF I went to A&M, I was DEFINITELY going to join the Band. In the Spring '88, when I interviewed for an Army ROTC Scholarship at the Trigon, I remember the guys there asking what outfit I would be interested in joining.

I said - "The Band"
They said, "no, you really don't want to do that".
My 17 year old self told the Army ROTC Cadre, "No, I don't think you understand, IF, I come to A&M, I AM definitely joining the Band".

What a punk I was. Still can't believe that all worked out, got the scholarship and joined the Band.
Ark03
AG
ABATTBQ87 said:

It was a cold, wet miserable event but what made it even more exciting was that half the band didn't show up on time due to busses being lost.

So those of us who were there formed up and marched to our seating area and were told that if the rest of the band didn't make it, we would not march half time.

Right after the first quarter ended here comes the rest of the band, including Col Haney.

What a relief we thought. With 7 minutes left in the quarter we started moving towards the north endzone but were told to remove our raingear because a senior left his raingear in College Station, and if one marches without raingear, we all march without raingear.

Marching with raingear would have been an option if you all had it? It wasn't ever an option in my four years. We'd march in the Winter As coat, and we might have even marched in the AG44 jacket, but we never once were allowed to march in raingear.

In October of 2000, we were playing Colorado at home. We were in Summer B's, and rain was blowing in. By halftime, the temperature had dropped to 50 degrees and rain was coming down in sheets so hard we couldn't see the other side of the field. We were was told the Aggie Band didn't march with raingear for some asinine reason, then stripped to our B's and took the field, sloshing and shivering through the rain and mud to perform. IIRC, reedsuckers put up their woodwinds and marched empty handed. I recall several other instances where we stripped off raingear to march without it, but that was the most memorable.
JABQ04
AG
That game was miserable. Fall review the day prior was even worse. Same weather and temp but no rain gear at all. Just summer Bs.
93Spur
Ark03 said:

Marching with raingear would have been an option if you all had it?

Marching in raingear has been an option in the past. Occurred at least fall 1992. Can't recall if in Summer As (long sleeve, black tie, while gloves) or Winter As. Definitely raingear, cover and and rubber. Raining while passing the reviewing stand.

Ark03
AG
JABQ04 said:

That game was miserable. Fall review the day prior was even worse. Same weather and temp but no rain gear at all. Just summer Bs.
Oh I remember. I was the weather corporal, so I got motivated to make the weather better all weekend. I may have spent a bit more time than usual in 4th floor of Evans that next week.
Quito
AG
We never marched in rain gear and it rained pretty much the entire '97 season. I vividly remember the saying:

"What happens when it rains"

"The Aggie Band gets wet!"
JABQ04
AG
What outfit?
ABATTBQ87
AG
Ark03 said:

ABATTBQ87 said:

Marching with raingear would have been an option if you all had it? It wasn't ever an option in my four years. We'd march in the Winter As coat, and we might have even marched in the AG44 jacket, but we never once were allowed to march in raingear.

In October of 2000, we were playing Colorado at home. We were in Summer B's, and rain was blowing in. By halftime, the temperature had dropped to 50 degrees and rain was coming down in sheets so hard we couldn't see the other side of the field. We were was told the Aggie Band didn't march with raingear for some asinine reason, then stripped to our B's and took the field, sloshing and shivering through the rain and mud to perform. IIRC, reedsuckers put up their woodwinds and marched empty handed. I recall several other instances where we stripped off raingear to march without it, but that was the most memorable.
Yes it was an option for the Arkansas game when it was raining/sleeting; but rain gear was not an option for the baylor 1984 game when it was pouring rain at halftime.(it rained on the Aggie Band in 1984 for the Tech, Baylor, Rice and Arkansas games)
Ark03
AG
JABQ04 said:

What outfit?
A-Battery
JABQ04
AG
B-BAttery here.
aggiejim70
AG
I got news for you young BQ's......It's been this way for at least 50 years. Florida State 1967, organizational weekend for the FTAB Association and here comes one of the classic East Texas frog stranglers and you guessed it, we had to do the drill. FTAB members all had white pots in those days, but for some reason, lost in the mists of time we performed in summer uniform caps instead of the pots. We did wear rain coats. 50 years down and I can still taste the cleaning fluid washing out of my cap. Could have been worse, I was beater, the blowers, especially the woodwinds, really took some gas. Didn't do the seniors boots much good either. And we go outscored 18-19.

By the way, that was the only home non-conference game my four years.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
HollywoodBQ
AG
aggiejim70 said:

and here comes one of the classic East Texas frog stranglers
And I thought my dad used colorful language.
I have no idea what a frog strangler is but I'm definitely going to try to work this into a conversation with my father.
HollywoodBQ
AG
93Spur said:

Ark03 said:

Marching with raingear would have been an option if you all had it?
Marching in raingear has been an option in the past. Occurred at least fall 1992. Can't recall if in Summer As (long sleeve, black tie, while gloves) or Winter As. Definitely raingear, cover and and rubber. Raining while passing the reviewing stand.
When we marched in the Mardi Gras parade on Galveston Island in Feb. 89, we wore Class A winters with white belts and our rain gear was buttoned all the way up to the top because one of my fish buddies forgot to bring a shirt. It was so cold standing on the Seawall waiting for the parade to start. Not as cold as it was at the GHW Bush Inauguration but close.

After the parade, the Galveston Causeway froze and we were literally stuck on Galveston Island for 4 days. I'm pretty sure it was a classic 4 fish to a room deal. I had subbed in for somebody in A-Battery so, I got to hang with my fish buddies that I didn't know that well including the Bass Horn player who was the Grode Master. Stranded for 4 days, there was a lot of demand for his supplies. Since he was running low, we had to walk to a nearby convenience store so he could buy some new magazines. Fun times.
BQ_90
AG
HollywoodBQ said:

93Spur said:

Ark03 said:

CMarching with raingear would have been an option if you all had it?
When we marched in the Mardi Gras parade on Galveston Island in Feb. 89, we wore Class A winters with white belts and our rain gear was buttoned all the way up to the top because one of my fish buddies forgot to bring a shirt. It was so cold standing on the Seawall waiting for the parade to start. Not as cold as it was at the GHW Bush Inauguration but close.

After the parade, the Galveston Causeway froze and we were literally stuck on Galveston Island for 4 days. I'm pretty sure it was a classic 4 fish to a room deal. I had subbed in for somebody in A-Battery so, I got to hang with my fish buddies that I didn't know that well including the Bass Horn player who was the Grode Master. Stranded for 4 days, there was a lot of demand for his supplies. Since he was running low, we had to walk to a nearby convenience store so he could buy some new magazines. Fun times.
I was on that trip too, cold sum*****. We put wet towels down to block wind coming thru the hotel door and the next morning the towels where frozen to the door and we barely got it opened. Hated that trip.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.