Which Corps Units are the Best

17,336 Views | 64 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by ShotOver
TXAggieMom11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Barney94 said everything!

I will add, have your son do several spend the night programs with different outfits. They aren't pefect tells but it will help weed out one that is not a fit. If he is an Eagle Scout or in one of the other programs have him participate in that weekend and at least two other spend the nights. I wish my current cadet would have done more than one. He did not choose the outfit he stayed with either. My class of '11 did a spend the day with an outfit and then Aggie Eagle with another, he went with the one he stayed overnight with. It was a good fit then but it has changed and it would not be now.

The Corps is ever changing, some good, some bad. Outfit culture is the same with changes. I know the current E-1 is not the same one from 10 years ago. I doubt any of them are.
Serotonin
AG
Gator 2
Gator2Wes05
AG
Seriously, Fightin' Gator 2.
It's just the best, even the boldest,
Hell it's the best damn outfit anywhere.

True story.
RoamingGnome
I read somewhere that the 2nd Country Club is the best at tennis golf and they will most likely beat you. They will be the best damn outfit on the 19th hole. And buy your first round.
tgray99
AG
HollywoodBQ said:

Stive said:

E-1 here. Mind if I ask who your cousin is?
Would you know guys who were Class of '94, PMC?

My boyfriend was Class of '94, PMC, Sq. 16.
HollywoodBQ
AG
I'm 99% sure he was part of the Cannon Crew. Without naming names, let's just say, he does ranch management kinds of things in the Bandera area. I would assume those guys all stay in touch with each other. I know E-1 '94 does.
TangoMike
TXAggieMom11 said:

BigTruck - Yes they move cadets for punishment usually before any investigation is even done and because they need cadets in other outfits. It is not always upper classmen either. I heard of fish being moved right before brass in November this year.
I also do not understand moving "wayward" cadets to other outfits. What happened to detachment? The other outfits don't want someone else's problem. They lose all support and I know of 4 people that quit the Corps due to these random moves. Army cadets into a squadron? Detachment had its own chain, duties and support built in. The Corps needs to bring it back.
I'm 100% certain you have rock-solid, first-hand insider knowledge of this, don't you? [that's sarcasm]

Rehab transfers are not new, neither to the corps nor to the Army. And wtf is "detachment?"
tgray99
AG
HollywoodBQ said:

I'm 99% sure he was part of the Cannon Crew. Without naming names, let's just say, he does ranch management kinds of things in the Bandera area. I would assume those guys all stay in touch with each other. I know E-1 '94 does.

He said he has a good idea who you're talking about. What about him?
TXAggieMom11
"I'm 100% certain you have rock-solid, first-hand insider knowledge of this, don't you? [that's sarcasm]"

Obviously not first hand but very very good knowledge of. You must be a current bull from how some of your posts read. I must have hit a little close to home.

As for WTF is detachment - ask someone that was on the Quad before Gen. Ramirez.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Quote:

He said he has a good idea who you're talking about. What about him?
Nothing. Somebody asked earlier in the thread who my cousin was and that's who. Relevant to this thread because as stated previously, I'll tell you B-Company is the best outfit and he'd say E-1. Because those were the outfits we were in. So... asking somebody for "which one is the best" is kind of pointless.
tgray99
AG
Gotcha
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

As for WTF is detachment - ask someone that was on the Quad before Gen. Ramirez.
I was. I still don't know what you're babbling about.
TangoMike
TXAggieMom11 said:

"I'm 100% certain you have rock-solid, first-hand insider knowledge of this, don't you? [that's sarcasm]"

Obviously not first hand but very very good knowledge of. You must be a current bull from how some of your posts read. I must have hit a little close to home.

I was in the Corps during Hopgood and Van Alstyne. I've never been assigned to the Texas A&M ROTC and I've never worked for the commandant's office.

And, I've never heard of "detachment".
bigtruckguy3500
The detachments were this purgatory type place where cadets who did stupid things would go while they were being investigated/awaiting punishment. It was like an outfit, except no 1st Sgt or CO, but was instead run by a major unit staff (I think Task Force staff). TF staff took accountability at formations and stuff, inspected their rooms, made sure they were still being cadets while they were being held away from their outfits. Some would go back to their outfits afterwards, some would be removed from the Corps. Every now and again I think one would not be wanted back by their outfit, and would just stay in detachment until they could convince another outfit to take them.

Not all infractions of the rules resulted in transfer to the detachments. Usually the stuff involving questionable drug use, hazing, impropriety between cadets, fish/upperclassmen relationships, etc. Not sure when it started and when it went away, or how effective it was, but I'd certainly prefer it to having some bag from another outfit being forced into my outfit.
TangoMike
That might be the worst idea I've ever heard in the corps.
93Spur
Tribe2013 said:

I was in the Corps during Hopgood and Van Alstyne. I've never been assigned to the Texas A&M ROTC and I've never worked for the commandant's office.

And, I've never heard of "detachment".
During 1989-1993, under Gen. Thomas Darling, there similarly was no such thing as "detachment." I know with certainty of numerous cadets who were under investigation 1991-1992 who remained in their outfits. I also know with certainty of cadets (BQs) who walked off the field during halftime at the Fall 1992 AMC-tu football game - they were ejected from the Band and had to find another outfit, any outfit. No such detachment during that time.

[Similarly, there was no such thing as Task Force. There was a Corps Staff, to whom reported only four major units (1st BDE, 1st Wing, 1st Regiment, FTAB, as there were no units associated with Corps Staff), to each of these four major units reported Battalions or Groups, to whom reported companies, batteries, or squadrons.]
CanyonAg77
AG
When you say the BQs walked off the field, what the heck? Refused to march halftime? Left in the middle? Never heard this story.
ABATTBQ87
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

When you say the BQs walked off the field, what the heck? Refused to march halftime? Left in the middle? Never heard this story.

Aggie band and tu band did a joint halftime drill in Austin and some Bq's walked off the field instead of performing the drill.
CanyonAg77
AG
Thanks for the info. I recall going to a bowl game where the bowl officials wanted us to do some sort of ignorant joint show with the other band. Leadership from the directors on down fought it. I think we ended up just standing in block band while the other band spelled out "Sun Bowl" or whatever the heck they wanted. I don't even recall what it was.

We did have one of our classmates walk out of that formation. A zip saxophone player, nicknamed "Murph the Surf" from a current movie, broke formation....

....and ran over and planted a kiss on Miss USA or whoever they were presenting. Then he got back in line.
HollywoodBQ
AG
ABATTBQ87 said:

CanyonAg77 said:

Aggie band and tu band did a joint halftime drill in Austin and some Bq's walked off the field instead of performing the drill.
It was the celebration of 100 years of Texas Football and about 7 Zips from A-Company decided it was bad bull to perform in a joint performance on the field with the Showband of the Southwest so, they walked off the field at the conclusion of the FTAB performance.

I believe they dragged some fish along with them in their walk-off protest. The fish were given a free pass but the Zips got kicked out of the band. The irony to me is that years later, at least 3 of the protesters have "Come OUT of the Closet". So, I think it's funny that they were protesting against the school that was really probably more in tune with their beliefs.
93Spur
HollywoodBQ said:

ABATTBQ87 said:

CanyonAg77 said:

It was the celebration of 100 years of Texas Football and about 7 Zips from A-Company decided it was bad bull to perform in a joint performance on the field with the Showband of the Southwest so, they walked off the field at the conclusion of the FTAB performance.
Yes, fall 92. Austin. tu game. Both bands were in adjacent blocks after FTAB drill, to play together. First, several BQ Zips walked off field rather than play with the tu band. Then, IIRC, some tu folks try to run throuhg the FTAB block. Did not go well. All sorts of bedlam. I was OD at the game.
Goodbull_19
AG
Gator2Wes05 said:

Seriously, Fightin' Gator 2.
It's just the best, even the boldest,
Hell it's the best damn outfit anywhere.

True story.
Not wrong.
CT20unkown
You're correct ma'am. 2 years ago (fall 2015) a large number of my outfit went under investigation because my old lady falsely reported about 90% of us for hazing. That was in November. About 2 weeks later 3 of my buddies got moved to other outfits, and then in the coming months the Corps either dropped or transferred about another 4 until the investigation ended in March.

Even after the investigation concluded, if my memory serves 3 of those 7 or so cadets weren't found guilty of anything but were barred from returning to the outfit.
Rice and Fries
My outfit used to be pretty legit. Then it got all frogged up like SQ 18 and shat on by the trigon the year after we died.

Glad I got to know my buddies and those above and under me. Felt bad for my fish who I recruited when I was a zip.

But c'est la vie.
Old Jock 1997
AG
HollywoodBQ said:

Stive said:

I'd know them all. Worley? Allison? Poteet? Meier?
HollywoodBQ
AG
Old Jock 1997 said:

HollywoodBQ said:

Stive said:

I'd know them all. Worley? Allison? Poteet? Meier?
Those are them. And for the sake of my cousin's privacy, I'll leave it there.
I've met all of them and they're a good group of guys.
aggiejim70
AG
93Spur said:

HollywoodBQ said:

ABATTBQ87 said:

CanyonAg77 said:

Yes, fall 92. Austin. tu game. Both bands were in adjacent blocks after FTAB drill, to play together. First, several BQ Zips walked off field rather than play with the tu band. Then, IIRC, some tu folks try to run throuhg the FTAB block. Did not go well. All sorts of bedlam. I was OD at the game.
I guess this thread is derailed now, so I'll chime on this. I wish you hadn't brought this up as it makes me feel two days older than dirt. I went to that game and had received word that some planned to walk off. I talked to those seniors before the game and begged them not to do so. This, knowing full well that I would have been inclined to do just that when I was a senior. For all the good times and good bull in the Corps and FTAB, it is a military organization and we make a mockery of that when cadets can't or won't obey the orders of their superiors. If you can't, in good conscience, obey your superior's orders, then resign. Hard to believe that was 25 years ago.

Then again this wasn't the first time seniors have walked off. Battle of Flowers parade, 1968. Some duchess's
float broke down, and the FTAB is eastbound on Houston Street in front of the Alameda Theater. Seniors break ranks, go in to some beer joint for a cold one. All except our future mayor that is.

The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
Trident15
AG
If any future cadets stumble upon this thread wondering what outfit is the best, here's my advice: The best outfit is the one you join. Every outfit has its own culture, but all are great in their own ways and as you bond with your fish buddies you will grow to love it.
AGGies0311
Nah, Delta Co is still the best.
txagB2
AG
B2
ShotOver
AG
D2

And it's not even close.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.