Exciting Aggie ring news to share.....

5,485 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by leasterwood
leasterwood
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am so proud of this effort, that I can hardly contain my excitement!!! WHOOP!!!

Our 'Ring It Forward' program will award our first 5 Aggie rings to TAMU student veterans!! Each ring will be given to honor one of our 37 Aggie Heroes whom we have lost since Sept 11, 2001 while in service to our country. (We hope to honor all 37 with a ring given in each of their names)

Mark Humphries '74 was a civilian civil engineer supporting the US efforts to rebuild roads in Afghanistan when he was lost in a plane crash on Feb 3, 2005. Mark will be the first Hero honored with a ring presented in his name. Mark's brothers, Chris and Sam,(both Aggies) had the idea to present a ring in Mark's honor, and we decided to present 37 Aggie rings to Aggie student veterans to honor all whom we have lost in the War on Terror.

The other 4 Heroes whom we will honor this ring cycle are:
LTC Roy Tisdale '92 ARMY (TAMU D-2)
SGT Graham Woody '08 ARMY (TAMU N-1)
1LT Jonathon Rozier '01 ARMY (TAMU B-1)
1LT Doyle Hufstedler, III '01 ARMY (TAMU I-1)
leasterwood
AG
Update:
We have had another donor step up so that we are now going to award 6 rings for this cycle!!!!!!!

Our next Hero that will be honored is:
MAJ Matthew Worrell '94 ARMY (TAMU L-1)
WHOOP!!!!!!!!
HollywoodBQ
AG
I knew Roy and Matt from Army ROTC. Glad to see them being honored.

Out of curiosity, where can we find out more information about this program? Website, FB, Twitter, etc.?
leasterwood
AG
Thanks so much for asking!!

We started the 'Ring It Forward' effort with a YouCaring.com page that raised funds for the first 2 rings. Ultimately all the funds go to the Association of Former Students for the 'Ring It Forward' account. We will be closing the YouCaring page soon, and just having donations go straight to the AFS with 'Ring It Forward' in the comment section.

We have 2 other events each year to honor those Aggies lost in service to our country since Sept 11, 2001. Both have Facebook pages. 'Aggie Running with Roy' Memorial 5k/10k and 'Fore Our Heroes' Memorial Golf Tournament.

Aggie Running with Roy FaceBook page
Fore Our Heroes FaceBook page

Our ultimate goal with these efforts is to endow a Sul Ross scholarship in the names of each of the 37 Aggies whom we have lost to the War on Terror.
leasterwood
AG
Update: We are able to award 2 more Aggie rings for this cycle through the 'Ring It Forward' program!!!!

We will be able to honor:
CPT Ernesto Blanco '98, ARMY, TAMU Sq16
SFC Merideth Howard '76, ARMY

That brings the 'Ring It Forward' program to 8 rings funded in honor of our heroes so far!!!
leasterwood
AG
" />

I just received this picture from one of our student veterans!!!! Chris LaPlant will graduate December 2016, is an Air Force veteran, and a member of Delta Company!

He ordered his Aggie ring today!!!!!! WHOOP!!! :-)

leasterwood
AG

These words from one of the donors said it most eloquently.....

"Can't thank you enough on this. Could shrug it off as an Aggie thing....But it's much bigger picture...to the families without question, all Aggies to be sure given the context. "Thank you for your service" comes across a bit hollow at times for these veterans I would think. But these rings become our "blood oath" to them. Tangible recognition maybe only Aggies understand.. We recognize what they have given and we respond as only Aggies can. Can't help but recall West Gate Memorial beat into our heads as fish in the Corps.."In recognition of the splendid participation by the A&M College of Texas....and of the heroic sacrifices made by her sons.......". A bit emotional on this given the circumstances that led us here.....still a bit raw, even after 11 years. Ring it Forward"
leasterwood
AG
The 'Ring It Forward' program has awarded 12 ring scholarships to student veterans for this order cycle in memory of 12 of our fallen Aggies!!! We can not wait to continue to award rings until all 37 of our fallen have been honored in this way!!

THIS is what being an Aggie is all about, and we are so proud!!!!

Mark Humphries '74, Civilian contractor
MAJ Matthew Worrell '94, ARMY, TAMU L-1
LTC Roy Tisdale '92, ARMY, TAMU D-2
SGT Graham Woody '08, ARMY, TAMU N-1
1LT Jonathon Rozier '01, ARMY, TAMU B-1
1LT Doyle Hufstedler '01, ARMY, TAMU I-1
CPT Ernesto Blanco '98, ARMY, TAMU Sq.16
SPC Merideth Howard '76, ARMY
LTC Mark Stratton '91, USAF, TAMU Sq.1
LTC Todd Clark '94, ARMY, TAMU B-2
CPT Lyle Gordon '97, USMC, TAMU E-2
CPT Sean Patrick Sims '94, ARMY, TAMU L-2

Here
Helms96
AG
quote:
The 'Ring It Forward' program has awarded 12 ring scholarships to student veterans for this order cycle in memory of 12 of our fallen Aggies!!! We can not wait to continue to award rings until all 37 of our fallen have been honored in this way!!

THIS is what being an Aggie is all about, and we are so proud!!!!

Mark Humphries '74, Civilian contractor
MAJ Matthew Worrell '94, ARMY, TAMU L-1
LTC Roy Tisdale '92, ARMY, TAMU D-2
SGT Graham Woody '08, ARMY, TAMU N-1
1LT Jonathon Rozier '01, ARMY, TAMU B-1
1LT Doyle Hufstedler '01, ARMY, TAMU I-1
CPT Ernesto Blanco '98, ARMY, TAMU Sq.16
SPC Merideth Howard '76, ARMY
LTC Mark Stratton '91, USAF, TAMU Sq.1
LTC Todd Clark '94, ARMY, TAMU B-2
CPT Lyle Gordon '97, USMC, TAMU E-2
CPT Sean Patrick Sims '94, ARMY, TAMU L-2

Here
Great work. I am proud to say that I knew 2 of these men and personally folded the flag off of the casket for CPT Lyle Gordon '97 USMC TAMU E-2 (Cowboy/ Pilot)

Things like what you are doing and have done make me so proud of our University
Firearms and LTC Instructor
12thGun.com
Jarhead
CO of P-2 Class of ‘96
leasterwood
AG
Thank you so much for your kind worlds and more importantly for your service!!!
leasterwood
AG

This photo represents the single most significant thing that I have done as an Aggie!!!

Today is Chris LaPlant '17's Ring Day. Chris is a veteran of the US Air Force, and a current member of Delta Company in our Corps of Cadets!! Chris was on deployment in Japan when Ring Day was held earlier this month, and just returned last night!!

HIs ring scholarship was given in memory of MAJ Matthew Worrell '94, ARMY, TAMU L-1.

Chris understands the special significance of this ring scholarship, and has expressed sincere appreciation for this opportunity. He will wear this ring proudly in MAJ Worrell's memory!!!

WHOOP!!!

*Edited to add that MAJ Worrell's family are the donors for this scholarship. I am merely a stand in for them, as they are in another state :-) *
Helms96
AG
Matt would be proud.
Again excellent work carrying on the memory and legacy of those that made the ultimate sacrifice.
12thGun.com
Jarhead
CO of P-2 Class of ‘96
Helms96
AG
By the way I would love to see a photo of the recipient for Lyle's if you have one
12thGun.com
Jarhead
CO of P-2 Class of ‘96
leasterwood
AG
I am working to get pictures of the others. Thank you for you kind support of our efforts!! I'll post more when I have them...
leasterwood
AG
Tonight I was honored to represent the Ring It Forward Project at the 'Steak Your Support' fundraiser for Brazos Valley Cares. They funded the 13th Aggie ring scholarship to be given to a current TAMU student veteran in honor of one of our 37 Aggies we have lost while in service to our country since 11 Sept 2001.

Tonight's ring was given to Alex Figueroa in honor of 2LT Zachary Cook '08, ARMY, TAMU D-1

God Bless and gig 'em,
Leslie
leasterwood
AG
4th Aggie Running with Roy Memorial 5K/10K

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.