Fish Spurs

9,810 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by sharpdressedman
WBBQ74
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It was only a week. We wore them on campus but removed them when we entered a building. I lived through it without major incidents.

My old man would laugh about how when he was a fish in the fall of '45 that not only did they wear fish spurs but also had to wear makeup for the SMU game week, being that SMU was known for having the best looking babes back in the day. I was glad that 'tradition' had faded away. I don't look good in makeup. Trust me.
HBCanine08
AG
Things I remember:
1. 108 bottle caps on EACH spur. Yes, the sophomores counted.
2. Going to bottle cap alley with my buddy and a gym bag to fill the bag on a Thursday night. In hindsight, we should have used gloves or gotten a tetanus shot.
3. Spending time my buddies while complaining about it.
4. Looking back now and laughing about it and all of us having our fish spurs displayed somewhere in our homes.
Ambres
AG
Disagree with the OP. Back in 95-99.. when I was in the Corps.. we were constantly losing traditions. (some maybe back now). Fish spurs was one of the good one. I still have my spurs and still joke with my old lady(roommate for the nonregs) about our adventure to get the 99 caps.. oh good time.

These adventures or memory help the fish as he struggle through the tough part of being a fish.. the more you take away, the harder it is to be a fish.

Events like the ones below help bring classes together
Flight of the Great Pumpkin
Bloody Cross
Hell Week
March to the Brazos
Corps Trips
Corps Runs
Bonfire Building (Too many good times to list, still have my grodes (sp?))
OldArmy1606
Man, Batt-fish back in the day was the bomb. You could do anything while doing it, saying zip, pisshead, etc. Step on the pisshead blocks, run all around the Quad on the grass, whatever. It was all in good fun. Your chance as a fish to do or say anything and get away with it.

Dressing up was just the icing. Running down the middle of the Quad singing "Zippity Do Da" was a great memory.

Too bad there are so many uptight people.
HBCanine08
AG
quote:
Running down the middle of the Quad singing "Rain, sleet, snow, hail, nothing stops the batt detail" was a great memory.
FIFM
mccjames
AG
I tried to drink all the beer to make my caps but damn near flunked out in the process!
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Fishin Texas Aggie 05 said:

Freshman year is a boof. Fish spurs are part of that. My fish spurs didn't humiliate me, I guess I'm not that caught up in looking goofy

IT's all in fun !
BigJim49AustinnowDallas
sharpdressedman
Wore mine all over the campus and still have them. I had a big set of pliers that converted a bottle cap to a flat disc with two squeezes. Good times.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.