Graduation gift for Marine Pilot

4,690 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 11 yr ago by CanyonAg77
reineraggie09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Alright, I am asking for a little advice on a graduation gift for my brother. First, let me get this out of the way. He is about to graduate from the Naval Academy. (Yeah I know, rabble rabble didn't go Corps rabble rabble. Both my parents are Ags, my sister is an Ag, so he is the black sheep. Moving on.)

He was service selected for Marine Aviation, but still may go Ground. He apparently can change if he wants to during TBS. I had thought about the Glocks for Grads program, but he purchased a M&P for himself last fall. (Fortuitous considering the run on handguns the past couple of months.) I have looked into a customized Benchmade Griptilian knife, but when I picked one up, it felt light and cheap. Not exactly what I wanted for $150. My price range is a $200-$300.

Any thoughts/ideas are appreciated. Gig'em!
CanyonAg77
AG
CanyonAg77
AG
And our daughter is the only Zoomie in a family of Aggies. We refer to her as the "blue sheep" of the family.
Mameluke
AG
a nice set of eye protection for night land nav
Naveronski
AG
Suunto watch; either the Core or Ambit.

http://www.suunto.com/us/en/products/Compare?products=751;2429
Post removed:
by user
texrex
Keep in mind that he still had to go through TBS before he even starts flight school. It will probably bevat least 9 or 10 months from the time he graduates till the time he gets to Pensacola. Maybe buy him a Sam Browne belt? It's an optional part of the dress blues uniform. It looks really sharp and he can wear it to weddings and other formal events. I believe it costs around $150.
reineraggie09
AG
My parents are getting him the belt and sword. He has a Luminox already. Thanks for all the suggestions.
reineraggie09
AG
I do like the sunglasses suggestion. I had been thinking about it, maybe a little cliche but awesome.
reineraggie09
AG
I do like the sunglasses suggestion. I had been thinking about it, maybe a little cliche but awesome.
reineraggie09
AG
reineraggie09
AG
reineraggie09
AG
reineraggie09
AG
reineraggie09
AG
reineraggie09
AG
Wow gotta love the iPad. Way to post multiple times.
Lee72
AG
Speaking of iPad, if he doesn't already have one, get him one with Verizon connectivity...if he has iPhone, then match the provider with his iPhone. Then, buy him a one year subscription to Fore Flight, an aviation app that will help with flight planning now and later. If he doesn't need prescription glasses, get some nice pilot style sunglasses and have mirror lenses made for them...great eye savers! You can find them at http://www.randolphusa.com/ ...lenses can be custom made for them from EyeGlassLensDirect out of Sugar Land http://www.eyeglasslensdirect.com/
Naveronski
AG
I like glasses, too!
GAC06
AG
First, convince him to go air. Next, I would get him something that would last longer than sunglasses. There's a lot of personal style preference with something like sunglasses. He will need a bag for flight pubs, and a kneeboard. The stuff they will issue him is garbage.

This bag and kneeboard could potentially be used his entire career, depending on what he winds up flying. It will at least work great for all of flight school.

http://www.flyboys.com/knwieyandclp.html

That promotion includes a hat and shirt, which I wouldn't really care about. It also includes embroidery, and I would strongly advise that if you get anything embroidered, just make it his last name. No rank, since he's not going to be a 2ndLt forever, and no wings.

[This message has been edited by GAC06 (edited 2/21/2013 9:45a).]
Mameluke
AG
also remember that he is a LONG ways from being a pilot. i would get him something that will be useful regardless of when/if he gets his wings.
Post removed:
by user
texrex
quote:
Speaking of iPad, if he doesn't already have one, get him one with Verizon connectivity...if he has iPhone, then match the provider with his iPhone. Then, buy him a one year subscription to Fore Flight, an aviation app that will help with flight planning now and later.

As of now, students are not allowed to take iPads in the cockpit. Gotta use approach plates.... even though an ipad would be infinitely easier and more effective.
CanyonAg77
AG
Approach plates never run out of battery.
texrex
Yea, but they do expire!
Lee72
AG
Yeah but iPads are easier to work with in flight planning even if you have to leave them in you locker as you depart he area...
CanyonAg77
AG
I was told a six pack works best for flight planning, at least in UPT. The T-38 guys trade them to the T-1 guys in exchange for planning.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.