Joining the Corps next fall, any advice on choosing an outfit?

13,912 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 12 yr ago by RebelE Infantry
dkr626
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I found out that I got the NROTC Marine Option Scholarship to Texas A&M, so I will be an Aggie next fall!! However, I am having a bit of difficulty deciding what unit I want to join. I know I have awhile to decide, but I am going to JCAP in February and I have to choose a unit to stay with. The units that seem like good fits for me are E-2, C-2, P-2, and H-1 (all Navy/Marine units that fit my economics major). It's hard to get a feel for what each outfit is like online, so does anyone have any advice or recommendations?
Zip 88
My old outfit was disbanded a long time ago, so I can't offer much other than "congratulations" on becoming part of an outstanding organization. Best wishes for a successful future.
WBBQ74
AG
Congrats. You are starting a journey that will last a lifetime. The best friends of your life are about 8½ months away and you don't know even one of their names yet. Surviving your fish year will be one of the hardest things you ever do but it will reward you with some of the most unforgetable memories you will ever earn. Get in shape and never quit. Enjoy being fish Jones. Welcome to Aggieland.

Fly Army 97
Many congrats. Suggest spending the night with the Corps. If possible visit all three units.

You will happy no matter what unit you choose...but remember, you have a added goal of seeking a commission. Talk with one of the younger officers at the NROTC as well. Everyone has opinions on outfits...they are more biased than asking what a favorite band is. Everyone has different tastes/needs/etc. Take that into consideration as you get counsel.
AnimalA10
AG
Congratulations to you, it's one of the best decisions you'll ever make.

I was in A-1 myself, but all of those listed are good outfits, perennial award winners etc. The only thing I could suggest is, assuming all other things are equal to you, that you only join E-2 if you want to try out to be the mascot corporal. Simply because that is nearly the entire focus of fish year in that outfit for most of the fish, and if you're not into the mascot corporal job, it might not be as fun for you.

Also, if I understand the buzz from the quad correctly the Corps is limiting the number of fish an outfit can recruit. So if you don't want to do the mascot corporal thing, no sense in taking a spot of someone who might want to.

Of course, if there's something about E-2 that really appeals to you, go for it. Like I said, they're all solid outfits.
Irv Irving
AG
All are solid outfits. I have a good friend in C-2 so I would suggest staying with them for JCAP.
bigtruckguy3500
A lot has probably changed since I was there, but I would definitely choose 2 of those outfits over the other two if I had to choose between those 4. You haven't listed my old outfit, and I won't say which one it is, but it's the best one on the quad .

But seriously, being out of the Corps for several years now, I don't know which outfits have gotten better and which have gotten worse. What are you planning on majoring in? How many upperclassmen (current sophomores-juniors) in that outfit have that major or something similar? Do members of the outfit participate heavily in a special unit such as Rudders, Seal Platoon, Recon, Fish Drill Team, or another one you may be interested in?

These are a few of the questions you should probably start asking cadets in those outfits. Go to their website or facebook page and e-mail or post on their page and start asking them everything you can think of.
EGA
Stay away from h-1. And don't listen to animala10, he was obviously never in e-2. Becoming mascot corporal is only a major focus for e-2 fish if they decide to try out for it.
Txaggie2015
P-2 is a great outfit.

They have a facebook group you can join to ask questions about the outfit and get in contact with the recruiting chain. The name of the group is Trident P Prospective Cadets '16

They also have an outfit facebook page 'Trident P2' where they periodically post pictures and statutes about what is going on.

You'll find that everyone has differing opinions on which outfit is the best to join. Your best bet is to stay with an outfit to see if it is a good fit for you.

[This message has been edited by Txaggie2015 (edited 1/8/2012 1:12p).]
dkr626
Thanks for the support and advice everyone!!

bigtruckguy, which two outfits do you consider to be superior? I'm curious :p

and EGA what is bad about H-1?
EGA
I shouldn't have said that about h-1, my bad. When I was a cadet, I didn't really get along with those guys, but that was years ago. I'm obviously biased, but I would recommend e-2. They did a really good job of encouraging us to be good cadets, but not social retards.

And of the 4 outfits you mentioned, e-2 is the biggest. More fish buddies is always a good thing.
c2-2010
All are good outfit. Stay with them. However, I will be biased: C-2 and H-1 were the only outfits when I was in (06-10 so recently) who weren't littered with tools. Its college, enjoy it. Besides, the training for a commission only matters on what you do, not what an outfit does.
bigtruckguy3500
I'm too far removed to be able to give any credible advice on which ones are good.

Just one thing to remember when choosing: you're joining the Corps of Cadets at Texas A&M, a Senior Military College, not some once a week ROTC at another college. If anyone trying to recruit you tells you something along the lines of "we don't play stupid Corps games" or "every other outfit is full of tools" because those cadets actually care about looking sharp and representing the Corps well, I'd probably stay away from that outfit. But that's just my opinion.
aggiegator10
Congratulations on your decision! Stick it out when times get tough. You won't regret it. My buddies from the Corps are my family to this day. We have fought plenty of times but we love each other and will marry and bury each other.

Good luck!
IlliniAg11
AG
I don't see N-1 on your list? Last year N-1 won more streamers than any other outfit which means they are a very well rounded outfit.
If I am correct N-1 is the largest outfit out of the Regiments. N-1 has been capped the past two years on the number of fish they can have.
N-1 was listed as an Engineering outfit when I was in the Corps and from what I have heard there are no more major specific outfits. But even when N-1 was listed as an engineering outfit we had more cadets out of engineering than in it.
Just some things to think about. I also like all the outfits you listed. Have friends in all of them.
merlin403
If you really like sports, then I suggest E-1.
annie88
AG
Check this out, might help you with your decision and give you a little insight on each unit..

http://corps.tamu.edu/corps-units?Name=Value
rebel06
AG
Among those choices, I would say E-2 but I'm biased being a former E-2 Rebel myself.
h1ag
AG
I think to be able to give a fair recommendation, we would need to hear particular things that you are most interested in being around and getting out of your experience. Commissioning? Most PT on the quad? Most socially active off the Quad? Most squared away in the Corps lifestyle? Without anything like this to go on, it is just a matter of personal preference from each of the posters. That being said, my vote is H1.
c2-2010
Agree with H-1. Best PT in the corps. You want to be a marine officer? Then worry about grades and PT. All outfits have fun traditions and whatnot, but many outfits in the corps are no where near a PT stud. I'm serious, I'm a Marine officer, and I can tell you the traditions are fun, but you'll 1. find brotherhood and camaraderie in any outfit and 2. PT is absolutely essential. If your outfit is good at PT when you're a fish, you are far more prepared for the marines and/or a special unit such as SEAL platoon. If you go into an outfit that says "oh but looking squared away is the most important" then they are dead wrong. No cadet would wear their uniform like crap, from what I learned. Choose based on their academics and their PT. Just my two cents, but I went from poor physical fitness as a fish to a 300 PFT.
aggieORD
Honestly all are great outfits, each with their own individual flare. H-1 is a stellar outfit, with highly PT, Marine contract, and seal platoon motivated men. It is in my opinion the toughest outfit on the quad, if you are looking for a physical challenge H-1 is the way to go (p.s. you better like to run if you choose them). C-2 is very similar to H-1, C-2 has the best tradition on the quad though with The Flight of the Great Pumpkin, which they take great pride in. C-2 is also very physically demanding, but from what I've seen of their training they do a bit more tactical/field training than H-1. E-2 is known for the Mascot corporal, but as a fish it doesn't matter. E-2 is also heavily involved with the Cav, and as stated is a larger unit. E-2 is more Army motivated in recent years, but that does not mean that they do not have Marine Contracts, just if you are looking for a more marine focused outfit I might look elsewhere. P-2 is the only integrated outfit you listed, this will help you in your development to become an officer in todays military and private sector. Although all male outfits are outstanding they do not give you the real world environment you will face, this does not mean P-2 is easy by any means. P-2 is equally Marine and Navy motivated, has great grades, and is Recon platoon motivated . All of the outfits are outstanding, and annually receive awards dictating as much. In fact this years Corps Commander comes from E-2, and the Corps SGM (highest junior in the corps) comes from H-1.
Ark03
AG
quote:
C-2 has the best tradition on the quad though with The Flight of the Great Pumpkin, which they take great pride in

Has the Flight of the Great Pumpkin been brought back?
aggiegator10
Flight of the Great Pumpkin is a cool tradition.
c2-2010
Flight came back, but the current commandant watered it down. Appears he forgot what it was like when he was in the band during flight...Ord's comment was spot on. In the end, pretty much every outfit in the reg is good to go. Decide if you want all male and move from there.
dkr626
Thanks for your advice everyone!! I'm going to be staying with c-2 at JCAP so I'll go from there.
Ric Clark
E-2 all the way......
TRIDENT
AG
I was in P-2, hence my handle. They are still a great outfit with a great history and support. Trident P, land, air, sea, the best damn outfit anywhere!
Lee72
AG
http://www.txwgcap.org/oplans/JCAP_S12.pdf
JCAP is 24-25 FEB 2012; all participants are eligible for $2400 scholarship and in state tuition. Lots of "training activities" to take part in and even attend an Aggie Baseball Game.
RebelE Infantry
AG
rebel06- who are you? You were one of my zips when I was a fish. feel free to email me, address is in my profile.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.