Sq 1 ceromony Jan 13 2012 9am

8,283 Views | 62 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Sq1dvm
mcrews
How long do you want to ignore this user?
THe standup ceromony will take place in front of the Corp Center on !-13-2012 at 9am

You must register if you plan on attending.
www.corpsofcadets.org/sq1

Also direct passthru donations can be made at the same site.
If you aren't attending use the same site and use the donation box.
ABATTBQ87
AG
quote:
The reinstatement ceremony of Squadron 1 as an outfit in the 2011-2012 Corps of Cadets

Why was Squadron one disbanded?
Dirk Diggler
AG
linked for you

www.corpsofcadets.org/sq1

[This message has been edited by Jock11 (edited 12/22/2011 12:16p).]
EGA
It's spelled corps.

[This message has been edited by Ega (edited 12/22/2011 12:57p).]
ABATTBQ87
AG
that link provides no details of why Sq 1 was disbanded
Dirk Diggler
AG
That was the link that Mr. Crews originally posted but it not clickable. You had to copy and paste it. I was just trying to help. Sorry.
Jcarp02
There were several reasons that Sq. 1 was disbanded, mostly having to do with hazing, retention and not being willing to integrate.
HuslinOne70
I'm looking forward to the reinstatement ceremony.
olarmy69
olarmy69
02 you are correct.
olarmy69
"70 will the shell be brought back with the other items
mcrews
are you a husler?

I have sent out a mass email to all huslers in the cca.
I sent a registration email for the event and an email requesting the bomb and 'stuff'

mcrews
posted 4:40p, 12/22/11

"There were several reasons that Sq. 1 was disbanded, mostly having to do with hazing, retention and not being willing to integrate."

sounds so pc.
Let's be clear. The outfit was disbanded because upper classmen were PHYSICALLY hazing underclassmen.
Let's be very clear. THey were striking them repeatedly with closed fits.

Hazing by definition does NOT involve contact. Push-up campusology running etc.

Physical Hazing was outlawed in the mid 70s in texas. What they did was commit felony assault.

Two yrs before, the fish Drill Team was disbanded for the same reason. THere were Huslin 1 advisors on that FDT.

MCrews, Husler Class of 1979

[This message has been edited by mcrews (edited 12/28/2011 5:30p).]
Jcarp02
mcrews,

You make it sound like they were running around beating everyone. The physical striking was one or two isolated incidents. It was definitely not the norm. Don't try to make it sound worse than it was.

I was there. None of my buddies nor I were ever physically beaten. Most of my upperclassmen from Huslin 1 were some of the best people I could have had lead me.
mcrews
Thank you for admitting that Physical beatings were taking place.

1 beating, 1 cadet, 1 underclass. NEVER happened in my 4 yrs.

Do you not understand that? NEVER. And in a 2 year period, it happen more than once, that's for dang sure. It brought down FDT and Sq 1.

YOu are measured in life by the lowest common denominator. You don't get to throw uot one or two of the worst and say..."see, it wasn't that bad" that's rantionalizing.
THe outfit was disbanded. period.
Oh yeah, I forgot, the trigon 'pick on you'. right.
No, as stated above, a severe lack of good leadership led to physicasl hazing being accepted and practiced, Lack of respect for women in the corps, etc. Those things DO NOT happen in a vaccuum. And they don't happen in a true leadership environment.

I have spoken to MANY huslers over the last 18 months. I have not 'jumped to conclusions".

And oh.....your 'life time' of experience to compare to......right.
I am really sick of recent former cadets who try to 'normalize' conduct that is completely out of bounds.

For you to even acknowledge that it took place turns is amazing, but to then try to say..."oh it didn't happen that much...." turns my stomach. You are going on 30 yrs old. If you are trying to 'justify' & minimalize that behavor at 30......man you have alot of growing up to do.

[This message has been edited by mcrews (edited 12/30/2011 6:46p).]

[This message has been edited by mcrews (edited 12/30/2011 6:48p).]
Jcarp02
I'm not exactly sure why you put so many things in quotes that I never even said.

As far as acknowledging that it went on, I only say that because that is what I heard. My buddies and I never saw it or had it happen to us.

I'm not saying it's right or trying to rationalize it. I'm saying that you're running your mouth and talking about things you don't know. Reading your posts, one would assume physical beatings were a daily occurrence by every single upperclassman to all underclassmen. All I'm saying is that was far from the truth.

Of the 7 in my fish class that went on to graduate, we had a combined 8 diamonds our senior year. I went on to be CO of the new outfit that came out of the disbandment and my buddies and I did not stand for hazing. But I still have a tremendous amount of respect for my Husler upperclassmen for helping me become who I am today.

If you think that us being exposed to such "poor leadership" our fish year makes us bad leaders, then so be it. But I know a lot of people that would disagree with you, including the trigon. I don't think they would knowingly appoint a bunch of terrible leaders to Corps Commander, CO's and staff.

[This message has been edited by Jcarp02 (edited 12/30/2011 8:13p).]
patriot13
AG
Mr. Crews,
I appreciate your involvment in trying to help grow the Corps. However, belittling the experience of a fellow cadet is wildly inappropriate. Telling a man he has a lot of growing up to do is extremly immature as well. Let us be reminded that texags is a public forum, and future cadets read these posts. The way 02 described the disbanding of sq. 1 was ideal for this type of forum. I am sure if people really wanted to know more they could have messaged 02. I know you have all the information on what happened, I have talked to you in person about it, but shouting this type of negative publicity does nothing but hinder the recruiting efforts of cadets today, all to publish mistakes of young men almost 15 years ago. Let it go.
mcrews
You point is well made and well taken.

However, what I DO find consistant (and immature) -in the private listserve emails, the reunions and the forums- is an inability on the part of those who were there to take ownership and responsibility for how off base and out of the standard their actions were.
I can show you 4 weeks of the most unbelievable Sq1 listserve emails. The lack of accknowlegdement and ownership (even in a very restrictive and private environment of just huslers) is amazing.
As I have tried to do a history of the huslers, the later classes have (with only a few exceptions) intentionally failed to participate in the project.
While 02, did not 'blame the trigon', that is the general theme of those who lost the outfit. There is no sense of humility or reality about what happened.
THe classe of 98 cadet incharge of the listserve has refused to communicate or forward any requests for the last 8 months.
Even though he was included in the very beginning with 9 others (representing 64-99) in developing the PLAN to bring the outfit back.
If 02 had been honest and straight forward and acknowledged what really happened, maybe this thread would have gone in a different direction.
But I have not embelished or exagerated what happened.
But 'flashing diamonds' to try to offset the actuallity of facts is very, very immature.
Finally, he is aware of what happened. Yet he pridefully claims that those cadets shaped his life. And here, 13 yrs later, can't see the error or flaw in their behavior.

[This message has been edited by mcrews (edited 1/2/2012 5:38p).]
Dirk Diggler
AG
Mr. Crews,

Where will SQ 1 be getting fish from? Volunteers from other outfits ? Or will there new fish like SQ 18 for this first semester
mcrews
According to Kris (the CO) they have already selected 5 fish for the spring semester.

It's tough for a fish. Can't see the bigger picture. Just started bounding with fish buds.

But From where I sit, it is a tremendous opprotunity.
mcrews
patriot13,

Since you really don't know me nor have you read the volumes of pieces I have sent to the Huslers, let me be clear.
I respect that each of us had a unique experience during our time at A&M and the Corps of Cadets. Each class had unique demands and challenges brought on by the upperclassmen/underclassmen, The Corps, The univiersity, the state and the times they lived in.
But a sign of maturity is understanding the proper place that things serve in your life. Hopefully at the moment......but certainly in retrospect.
In an effort to 'apperciate the audience' Let me say that 'phrases and slogans' that require a wink when said to your mother.....are dead. And were deemed dead by BG Ramirez 16 months ago.
When individuals (13 yrs later) are stating that the phrase has to come back.....hopefully you see the point.
But let me leave you with a statement made by someone who was there when it was disbanded...
"WE WOULD RATHER KILL THE OUTFIT THAN LET A WAG SKREECH XXXX."
This was one of the first respone emails to the listserve announcent that the Uotfit would be back.
No one in the class of 96,97,98,99 etc spoke out against this comment. ALL the other Huslers did....adamently.
First, the outfit belong to the Corps, not the classes that are there, nor the classes that have left. As sterwards, we should try to leave it inrtact and better.
Second, my mother taught pilots how to fly by instuments in LINK trainers during WWII.She was a voulenteer in the 1st class of W.A.V.E.s I have a REAL problem with a group of cadets who would allow that comment to stand.

Hopefully, you can understand better that my call that a cadet, 10 yrs later, hasn't matured in his view of his time at A&M, is both informed and based on knowledge.
Jcarp02
First off, I have never met Brook Hudson. He was gone before I got there. However, I don't think calling him out on a public forum is appropriate.

Second, you say that I have a lot of growing up to do. You have no idea who I am or know anything about me. To tell me I have a lot of growing up to do is also out of line. If you want, I will be more than happy to meet you at The Chicken one weekend while I'm up there and I will buy you a beer and we can talk this out. If you still think I have growing up to do, fine. But making a statement when you know nothing about me is a little premature.

I did not blame the Trigon because MY class did not blame the Trigon at the time it happened. We were very aware of what got us there. If you go back and re-read my posts, I never belittled what happened, especially if there was physical abuse. My ONLY point was that you paint a picture that all the upperclassmen were constantly beating all of the underclassmen. That was not the case. Period. I felt the need to share my experience with others on this forum to portray what really happened, not what you heard from a bunch of classes that weren't even there.

You also try to give the impression that because a select few did things they were not supposed to, that all of them were terrible leaders as well as terrible people. Should some of them have stood up to the few that were putting the outfit in jeopardy? Absolutely. Does that make them bad people? Definitely not.

[This message has been edited by Jcarp02 (edited 1/3/2012 8:49a).]

[This message has been edited by Jcarp02 (edited 1/3/2012 9:39a).]
RAMF 95
AG
MJC. I had never heard of this guy before in my life and all of the sudden he shows up as the authority on all things Texas A&M and the Corps of Cadets. His constant generalizations of former members of Squadron 1 are ridicuous and tired. He single handedly split the former members of this outfit right down the middle with this inflammatory garbage. Evidently he believes that he is special since he knew Brigadier General Ramirez, so he can lecture adults, many of them commissioned adults, on what he thinks he knows, most of which is conjecture.

It is pathetic that he would call out a nice guy like Brooke, who gave of his own time to create a tool to keep old Husler's together only to watch this jack@ss Crews use it as a platform to spew his nonsense and cause many to abandon that tool. Congrats loser. Maybe you should spend your time finishing your degree instead of lecturing anyone who is clearly better than you.

quote:
No one in the class of 96,97,98,99 etc spoke out against this comment. ALL the other Huslers did....adamently.

This is a lie. You are speaking for all these gentlemen? I know many of these guys and I know a ton of them would say you are full of garbage.

Every tree has a bad apple, but to disparage the whole tree becuase you have the emotional intellect of a teenager makes you a fool. Many of these guys have daughters and I don't think they would stand around complaining about an integrated outfit, espcecially in this day and age when women are serving in combat roles. Since you never participated in FDT, RV's, Rudder's, Parson's, or RC you sit back in an arm chair polishing your 2 moons screaming about how screwed up some of these kids are, passing on 3rd hand conjecture, or even making your own up. Do cadet's make horrible decisions from time to time, you bet, that is why we have this leadership labarotory. Mistakes here can be learned from becuase the price tag isn't as high as when you are leading folks in the real world.

Finally, I would agree that RAMF woud need to go, certainly on any outfit nomenclature. Funny thing is that it is morons like Crews that made it into something it wasn't. RAMF was about being a hard charging cadet who was sharp and always gave 100%. It wasn't about anything else. I will never forget Mark Stratton teachinig us that as freshman when he hosted us at his house after FOW. Stratton embodied what it meant to be in Squadron 1.

Finally, you might want to quit dropping BG Ramirez's name if you truly care about him. You paint the picture that you are somehow part of his command and that you are speaking for him. That is bad for him, especially considering how poorly you choose the time and place for your words.

As the brother of a four star I cringe to think that there is some nitwit out there using his passing realtionship with him as some sort of statement that he endores what the nitwit is spewing.

[This message has been edited by RAMF 95 (edited 1/3/2012 10:54a).]
Munich702
As I browse these posts and recall the listserv emails I note that MJC has been quick to criticize most everyone's view of Sq-1 circa 1999. As someone who was actually there, I can tell you that JCarp's comments are accurate and his description of why the outfit was disbanded is perfectly sufficient.

MJC, I don't understand why you insist on everyone buying into your version of history, especially when your version involves exaggerating things like beatings. Is it healthy for the Corps or for Texas A&M in general for you to post this online, especially when it’s exaggerated?

I also don’t understand why you attack people like JCarp, who in his original post was just trying to explain things. JCarp is absolutely correct that the upperclassmen were not only good people but also good leaders who we all admire and respect to this day. Looking back on the situation I think everyone realizes that poor judgments were made. By the way, and this may shock you, the poor judgments were not limited to the upperclassmen. I was an underclassman at the time, and I made poor judgments that hurt the situation. The timing of all these poor judgments couldn’t have been worse as the Trigon was willing to disband outfits at the time (a policy that changed when the next commandant arrived).

Poor judgments by 18-22 year olds are one thing, but your characterization of broader systemic issues, widespread bad leadership, violence, etc, are inaccurate or at best exaggerated. If your characterizations were accurate, how did the first sergeant of the outfit obtain an Air Force commission and a pilot slot shortly after all of this transpired? And how did the outfit produce not one but two Corps Commanders over the following three years? Chew on all that for a minute and ask yourself how your characterization of the leadership could co-exist with those facts.

Your enthusiasm for bringing back the outfit is appreciated but your comments about the events and people of 1999 are neither accurate nor productive.

Please don't ever reference stack again in that fashion.
codybell02
AG
mcrews,

Your emotional tirade towards Huslers is unjust. I have great respect for so many of the Huslin One cadets. There were a SELECT FEW that were over the top, not the majority. The commander was let go as is the right thing to do as everything rises and falls on leadership. But I would also say that his leadership and leadership of many of the guys in that outfit is why Huslin' One's grades were so good, there leadership was developed so well, and they were awarded so many honors. The Corps has now swung the pendulum and lost most of the adversity that once had. "The firmest friendships have been formed in mutual adversity, as iron is most strongly wielded by the fiercest flame." - Charles Caleb Colton

I am sorry that you are so bitter mcrews. I doubt the cadets that were hazed are as bitter as you. - Forgiveness
olarmy69
mccrews My son was hustler 98 and I gave him the link for cca. Thanks. I was in E-1 but got to enjoy being a
Husler Dad for 4 years.
TLA02
AG
All I can to is vouch for Cbell and Jcarp,

I knew them both and can say from what I heard nothing they have posted is inaccurate.
I hope you 2 are doing well...

I will however say that this is not necc. mcrews - You muckraking an outfit in this way on this forum shows your lack of maturity. Then going on to blast other members regarding how they have grown up in the past 13 years does not help your cause.

Things happen, people come an go, so do outfits. I know there are plenty of things we all wish we could go back and do differently, but we didn't. We were young and bullet-proof and may have to live with those mistakes. Living in the past this way is not good for you.

Congrats SQ 1 on getting reinstated.

Sq12- '02

[This message has been edited by txlilagg (edited 1/10/2012 10:05a).]
annie88
AG
oops. sorry missed this, but another thread on as well..

Whoop!
mcrews
actions speak louder than words.
FACT: six months ago a request went out to all huslers to gather the 'stuff' (bomb, etc) and get it returned for the new outfit.
FACT: a request was posted on the huslin 1 facebook page with the same request.
With less than 24 hour to go the ramfers have yet to provide those items or the locations of those items. Only one item has turned up. The roadrunner. And that is because it's in the Corps Center. Not because a ramfer turned it in.
FACT: Brook Hudson 98 (ramfer) has completely failed to pass on notices and information that he said he would pass on thru the listserve.
FACT: a class of 68 husler made numerous efforts to reach Brook this summer to create the data base of former huslers. Book(ramfer) never got in touch with this husler (who by the way suffered thru 25 operations over his Marine Corps career, from being paralyzed and blinded while trying to rescue one of his men from a minefield in vietnam)
FACT: BG Ramirez stated imfacticly that ramf was dead and gone and had no place in the Coprs of Cadets in 2012 when he agreed to bring the outfit back. So if you think that I am 'devisive' because I stated the message, that's a sign of your lack of maturity.
FACT: after 13 yrs of various requests by huslers to have the outfit brought back and the trigon saying - not just no, but never - the outfit is coming back tomorrow.
FACT: the outfit was disbanded because of the actions, attitudes and failure in leadership by those cadets who where there.

Character and maturity seem to be in short supply.
mcrews
munich,

you said " Poor judgments by 18-22 year olds are one thing, but your characterization of broader systemic issues, widespread bad leadership,....."

Read my last post and explain how these poor misquided 18-22 yr old are now- 13 yrs later- acting in an informed and more mature manner?

Look, I have had LONG discussions with ramfers individually. I spent a GREAT deal of time trying to incoperate them into the PLAN that was set up to bring the outfit back.
Brook Hudson clearly stated in a conference call with 9 other huslers (from class of 64-99) that he would handle the data base and the communication.
He failed to cooperate. (or did he lie.....)
I finally had to created a speadsheet of positions that huslers held over the last 40 yrs in the corps.
I would be glad to share it and show the lack of cooperation from the ramfers as a group.
Brook and the 68 husler were supposed to have do this speadsheet this summer. Brook never returned his calls or emails.

And i have an email from a class of 98 husler stating that the 99 huslers would not give back the outfit stuff.

So until you really know the truth and the full picture, maybe you should hold off on judgement.

[This message has been edited by mcrews (edited 1/12/2012 5:56p).]
Cowboy Curtis
AG
Dad was a MA for Sq 1 back in the mid 80's.
Jcarp02
FACT: You need to get over yourself.

I'm not sure how you got elected as Chief of the Maturity police, but you have been throwing that around a lot on here and many would argue that you have been the least mature of all other posters.

I also find it amusing that you claim to not have been divisive, yet you make sure to separate the "ramfers" from the "huslers".

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate anything you may have done to get the outfit back, but you are not the outfit czar.

Just a little piece of advice from an "immature ramfer", you might get a little more assistance and information if you had a different approach. I'm sure that any requests sent out through the listserve fell on deaf ears. I, as well as several of my buddies, stopped reading the listserve because of stubborn folks like you. And before you say it, I'm not even talking about topics like why the outfit was disbanded, etc. There were several people on there with condescending attitudes such as yours that sucked all of the good bull out of being able to communicate with my fellow Huslers. Every single e-mail turned into an argument, much like the direction of this post all because I answered a simple question.

As I mentioned before, I have never met Brook, but you have proven yourself to be judgmental and very difficult to deal with throughout this thread. If this is any indication of how you are in all aspects of life, then I honestly don't blame Brook for not contacting you back. Who would want to?

You also mention that you've talked to several Huslers from '64-'99, but how many did you contact from '00-'02? If you were looking for stuff for the outfit, that's where I would have started.

I just found out about 2 weeks ago that the outfit was coming back, and none of my buddies knew about it until I told them. Probably why you didn't get a response.
mcrews

“I also find it amusing that you claim to not have been divisive, yet you make sure to separate the "ramfers" from the "huslers". “

********Note to you: I didn’t separate the groups. The responses to the list serve did. The ramfs said that ramf HAD to be in any discussion about a new outfit. The ramfs said that women would not be in the new outfit. HELLO!!!!
Huslers were just happy to get the new outfit, regardless of the requirements.

“Don't get me wrong, I appreciate anything you may have done to get the outfit back, but you are not the outfit czar.”

*****you right, that’s why I set up a committee of 10 huslers 64, 68,68, 79,79,82, 91,94,98,99. Each of those were invited and spoken to at length. Each agreed that ramf was dead and the outfit would be integrated. Each help create and approved a 3 step PLAN to bring the outfit back. The 94, 98 & 99 huslers stopped all efforts in May 2010. Even though they had been on 3 conference calls expressing complete support.

“Just a little piece of advice from an "immature ramfer", you might get a little more assistance and information if you had a different approach.”
***********Read above….since you are just ‘wishing’ for something and were not there. Look, when Hunter 91 & Lueck 64 went into see Joe and Joe told them he was already bringing the outfit back after talking to Me & Micheal.
Then Hunter made the announcement on the list serve. (leaving uot the part about Michael and Me.) Then the ramfers jumped in and began making demands. I was traveling for the first week of that exchange so you can ‘get over’ trying to blame this need for a different approach on me. The ramfers had already staked out their ‘claim’ that the new outfit would not have women and that ramf had to be a part of the deal. (reflecting huge immaturity and a lack of understanding of the negative role they had played in the demise of the outfit.) Also, I will be glad to send you the email that Hunter sent me acknowledging that Joe had in fact told Hunter and Ron about his meeting with me and Michael. Hunter admitted he should have mentioned that in the very first announcement. (no kidding)
I didn’t post a reply until 8 days AFTER the first post.
When I did, I laid out the FACTS of the meeting with Joe and the agreement that had be reached in October of 2010.
I clearly explained that what everyone ‘wanted’ didn’t matter. That Joe had laid down the two rules at that meeting. 1. NO ramf. 2. There would be women in the new outfit.
So when you try to reinvent what happened, let’s be honest about who needed to have a ‘different approach”
And let’s get back to the FACTS. The ramfers were the first ones making demands of what they ‘required' to support an new outfit.*****************
“ I'm sure that any requests sent out through the listserve fell on deaf ears.
*******no you missed my point, BROOK FAILED TO SEND THE ANNOUNCEMENTS, I had to take the CCA directory and hand transfer over 600 husler email addresses*********
I, as well as several of my buddies, stopped reading the listserve because of stubborn folks like you. And before you say it, I'm not even talking about topics like why the outfit was disbanded, etc. There were several people on there with condescending attitudes such as yours that sucked all of the good bull out of being able to communicate with my fellow Huslers.”

*******What ‘sucked the good bull uot was the week worth of crap that the ramfers feed us before I ever posted. Come on, get a clue! When a ramfer says “the reason we had the outfit disbanded was because we didn’t want women screeching RAMF”, what are reasonable people suppose to think?
No ramfer disowned or apologized for that comment. And you accuse ME of needing a ‘different approach’. Who the hell gave them the ‘right’ to shut the outfit down? How arrogant and immature can someone be as a 33 yr old?
I will be glad to send you the 2 pages of private comments the old huslers sent me concerning the ramfers. The ramfers manage to piss off a lot of huslers. But you quit the list serve…….
Maybe you need a reality check. Frankly I’d be ashamed. But think about this. Has any old husler posted or sent you an email saying ‘your right?” No. Of course not. But I have emails from ramfers who have apologized for the comments made by the ramfers.***********

“you have proven yourself to be judgmental and very difficult to deal with throughout this thread. If this is any indication of how you are in all aspects of life, then I honestly don't blame Brook for not contacting you back. Who would want to?
**********Again, nice reinvention. Brook accepted being invited onto the Team that rolled out the PLAN. Brook agreed to perform certain functions. Is that what ramf stands for? Not honoring your commitments inspite of disagreements?
Why did he blow off a decorated Vietnam hero?***********

You also mention that you've talked to several Huslers from '64-'99, but how many did you contact from '00-'02? If you were looking for stuff for the outfit, that's where I would have started.
*********I sent emails to every single husler that is listed with the CCA, that’s over 600 emails. I have had over 125 respones. And why would a sophomore or jr have stuff that a senior had possession of on the last day of the outfit?*********

I just found out about 2 weeks ago that the outfit was coming back, and none of my buddies knew about it until I told them. Probably why you didn't get a response.
*********Ok, then where’s the stuff?
If you will email me, I will send you documentation of every thing I have stated.
You need to step back and realize that you do not have enouigh information to pass judgement on me or my actions.
But here is a FACT. After the meeting with Joe, Michael and I discussed if we should tell the list serve that day. Based on the listserve exchanges from the yr before we decided that it would be best to wait. EXACTLY because of the stuff that came from the ramfers when the anouncenmt was made.
RAMF 95
AG
nm, waste of time.

[This message has been edited by RAMF 95 (edited 1/13/2012 10:04p).]
Txaggie2015
What is RAMF?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.