Have a friend flying in from Minnesota on Thursday for the game on Saturday

912 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by TXAG 05
Reload8098
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Because of my travel and kids sports I haven't explored the city very much in the 3 years we've been here. This is his first trip to Texas so want to hit a few places Thursday before heading to CS. Is there a place on the river walk to have a drink and and some good food? What are the 3 best Mexican restaurants in SA? Any places with live music on a Thursday night that you would recommend?

Thanks in advance!

Mark
p_bubel
For music, see if anyone is playing the Aztec, Stable at the Pearl, Majestic or Tobin.

Mi Tierra ain't the best, but they won't know and the place itself is worth it. Grab walking beers.
lp01
AG
Taking them down to the Pearl will accomplish most of everything you mentioned. Plus, it's not as tourist-driven like downtown.
Burdizzo
AG
p_bubel said:

For music, see if anyone is playing the Aztec, Stable at the Pearl, Majestic or Tobin.

Mi Tierra ain't the best, but they won't know and the place itself is worth it. Grab walking beers.

We also frequent La Fogata on Vance Jackson for out-of-town guests. It isn't the best, but it is a fair representation and scratches the itch.

Also for music check Sam's Burger Joint and Gruene Hall.

(Only one of these close to the River is Sam's, derp)
BurnetAggie99
The Esquire Tavern is cool place. Oldest bar on the Riverwalk. Have a nice bar & food is good
Reload8098
AG
Thanks for the advice, I'm set!
Reload8098
AG
Going to Garcias for lunch (amazing brisket tacos), then taking family to Down on Grayson. After dinner the family will go home and we will uber to The Esquire, The Pearl district, maybe St. Mary's?
LCE
AG
Hotel Emma bar is very nice.
Reload8098
AG
LCE said:

Hotel Emma bar is very nice.
Yeah, I was looking at that. Will do it if we have time.
bam02
AG
For live music on a Thursday I think it's gonna be unlikely to find a show you like at one of the actual "music venues" but you might check out The Lonesome Rose if you're gonna be near The Pearl (which I also recommend). It's a dive/honky tonk with music and would probably be entertaining for someone from out of state.
Reload8098
AG
Awesome. That sounds perfect. Thanks.
TXAG 05
AG
Reload8098 said:

Going to Garcias for lunch (amazing brisket tacos), then taking family to Down on Grayson. After dinner the family will go home and we will uber to The Esquire, The Pearl district, maybe St. Mary's?

Down on Grayson is at the Pearl so you would t have to Uber. I recommend the turkey sandwich.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.