Spurs wanting a new stadium? (Again)

6,030 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Tony Franklins Other Shoe
Burdizzo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
They want to be closer to downtown. Why?

What happens to the AT&T Center if the Spurs vacate?

Can one of the conditions be firing Popovich?
p_bubel
" They want to be closer to downtown. Why?"

Cause the current location sucks. At least we can finally stop pretending these facilities bring development.

Funny enough, and perceived improvement would be labeled gentrification these days and fought like hell.
Burdizzo
AG
p_bubel said:

" They want to be closer to downtown. Why?"

Cause the current location sucks. At least we can finally stop pretending these facilities bring development.

Funny enough, and perceived improvement would be labeled gentrification these days and fought like hell.

Well, I am not convinced downtown would help them draw better attendance. In a town where everyone drives, I don't recall hearing much complaining about having to drive to the At&T Center, but I hear people complain about parking downtown. I was under the impression the current location was a payoff to the east side in order to get the votes from the commissioners court. But yeah, I agree it hasn't drawn much development. They also probably want a venue they don't have to share with the Rodeo.

Also hearing some rumbling again about building a baseball venue near downtown. Maybe they can put it next to the football stadium that is underutilized.
GinaLinetti
AG
I'm down at att center (area) all the time for rodeo shenanigans.

It's better than messing with downtown. What would they tear down? I can't imagine where they think there is space
p_bubel
GinaLinetti said:

I'm down at att center (area) all the time for rodeo shenanigans.

It's better than messing with downtown. What would they tear down? I can't imagine where they think there is space

The Alamo Dome has two massive underutilized surface lots.

Not saying they're going to do this. But it's not a stretch. Not even sure I care. Probably vote against it as it is. But it's possible downtown.
Burdizzo
AG
I think by the time it comes to fruition we will have one foot out the door, so I don't care too much either. My guess is in the area between Fox Tech and the new Frost building. That area doesn't have a lot of buildings, is right next to the new San Pedro Creek trail and probably where Graham Weston wants it, near his building.
Leggo My Elko
AG
Is this just an excuse for when they try to move to Austin?
TXAG 05
AG
Back when they played at HemisFair and the Dome, it was fun to go pregame on the river walk, then head over to the game.

I think that is the reasoning. There is nothing else going on in the area around the Tin House, even though they thought beholding it there would bring in bars/restaurants.
TX AG 88
AG
Who didn't see this coming when they built the AT&T Center where it is? The Spurs will shake down the city/citizens again, just like they did after drafting Tim Duncan. They're lucky their draft lotto hit just in time!

The "temporary" quarter-cent sales tax bump was always going to be permanent.

So glad I moved out of the city/county...

also - eff Pop!
AG
Hearing that its possible they build it without city funds with maybe the exception of in kind land donations.
Burdizzo
AG
1939 said:

Hearing that its possible they build it without city funds with maybe the exception of in kind land donations.

Mark Whyte pointed out that the current stadium was financed with the visitor tax (hotels). That may be part of the push to get it back closer to downtown so that the people staying in hotels (paying for the venue) also buy tickets.
SanAntoneAg
AG
TexjbA&M said:

Oh believe me, they'll use that threat to get it passed by all the blue voters.
Gig 'em! '90
MookieBlaylock
AG
They have plenty of equity in the team
Build your own flipping stadium
Reload8098
AG
I was a huge Spurs fan long before I moved here. I have a jersey autographed by The Admiral. But BLM ended the NFL and NBA interest for me. Throw in Popovich sticking his nose in political subjects that he doesn't know crap about and I'm done with the Spurs too.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Thanks for sharing

It is amazing how Black lives no longer matter to the NFL and Popovich
GCRanger
AG
They never should have moved to the current location. The old HemisFair Arena was a great location, and even them playing in half the Alamo Dome wasn't awful. It was nice to be able to go downtown, go out to eat, go to a game, and have some entertainment afterward.

I'm all for them moving back downtown but not at tax payer expense.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

Thanks for sharing

That don't pay the bills like the Chinese do.

Person Not Capable of Pregnancy
Reload8098
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

Thanks for sharing

Probably so, but the way they handled that "disinformation - lies" is enough to turn me away FOREVER. FCK their entitled ass. You are entertainment. Most of you aren't that smart but you don't hesitate to pontificate about subjects you don't understand or are unwilling to invest enough time to understand.
I will wager that I've spent more time in inner city schools than 99.9% of professional atheletes. I'm not trying to "toot my horn", I'm just sick of hearing about all these solutions when the biggest solution is putting time into these poor areas. Most people, especiallly liberals want to send money not time/effort.
Burdizzo
AG
Looks like Hemisfair Park, specifically ITC, is being floated...

https://sanantonioreport.org/downtown-san-antonio-sports-district-ballpark-arena/

Near the Alamo Dome and hotels. Aging building that no one wants. I have heard there have been a lot of discussions of ITC moving. Wonder if they could get rid of the old Federal Courthouse too.

axan77
AG
TexjbA&M said:

Good riddance. Pop will fit in there just fine.
AG
Really hoping the downtown sports complex becomes a reality for both Spurs/Missions. I highly doubt it though. San Antonio will always just be a giant small town.
alamogeorge
AG
I mean it has been 20 years. That said I think these things should be self funding. They're gonna make us pay $20 for parking for the next 50 years so that should fund most of it.
"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Aggieland!" -Davy Crockett
aggieSO
The spurs are in fact looking to locate in the downtown area. The missions thing is already a done deal I believe. They will be moving near Pinkertons barebecue.

The missions thing is pretty necessary, they either need to re locate or seriously upgrade Nelson Wolfe as as they will not be AA for long if they don't do this. Personally I quite enjoy going to the missions games and I wish we had an MLB team.

The spurs thing isn't really necessary but the at&t center does suck. Idk if they thought it would spur growth in the area but it hasn't happened. It's seriously the worst location for any nba arena.

I know the taxpayers don't want to fund another stadium and I know Pop sucks (I met him in person and he wouldn't let my 14 year female cousin take a pic with Wemby) but it's either that or the threat of them moving out of San Antonio. Idk if they would really do it but just the threat of it should be scary.
bam02
AG
I'd be slightly sad to see them leave. Hell no to buying them a new house.
Sher Thing
AG
The spurs just want to start discussions and get verbal agreements. They aren't planning on breaking their lease at the AT&T and by that time it will almost be 30 years old. A new downtown arena complex would be great and would generate a lot of growth in the CBD.
MookieBlaylock
AG
1 billion for a basketball arena...
AG
aggieSO said:

The spurs are in fact looking to locate in the downtown area. The missions thing is already a done deal I believe. They will be moving near Pinkertons barebecue.

The missions thing is pretty necessary, they either need to re locate or seriously upgrade Nelson Wolfe as as they will not be AA for long if they don't do this. Personally I quite enjoy going to the missions games and I wish we had an MLB team.

The spurs thing isn't really necessary but the at&t center does suck. Idk if they thought it would spur growth in the area but it hasn't happened. It's seriously the worst location for any nba arena.

I know the taxpayers don't want to fund another stadium and I know Pop sucks (I met him in person and he wouldn't let my 14 year female cousin take a pic with Wemby) but it's either that or the threat of them moving out of San Antonio. Idk if they would really do it but just the threat of it should be scary.
Doesn't sound like a done deal yet although you may be referencing something else, although this article is only a few days old.

Edit: Maybe you were referring to the Soap Factory apartments which are nearby.

https://www.expressnews.com/business/real-estate/article/spurs-nba-arena-hemisfair-site-san-antonio-18462640.php

Quote:

According to sources familiar with the matter, a city official discouraged the Missions' owners from pursuing the 13-acre property as a location for a new baseball stadium, most likely because City Hall is eyeing the site for a new home for the Spurs.
Quote:

Both the Missions and the Spurs are weighing plans for new venues, and for a time the teams' owners considered the idea of a downtown sport district with a baseball stadium and a basketball arena side by side. Boosters said the project would attract bars, restaurants, retail and other development and energize a central business district still struggling to rebound from the pandemic.

That idea appears to have lost traction. But by all indications, the Spurs' interest in moving downtown has not.

The Missions, meanwhile, urgently need a new stadium because their existing home on the far West Side, the dilapidated Wolff Stadium, doesn't meet Major League Baseball standards. And the team's owners who include Graham Weston and Randy Smith, founders of the downtown real estate development firm Weston Urban want the Missions to play in the urban core.
Quote:

The firm recently bought the Soap Factory apartments, which are spread across three parcels of land on both sides of Martin between Camaron and Travis totaling 8.9 acres. It also owns 2.5 acres across Camaron from the Soap Factory and is set to acquire from the city a 0.9-acre site at the corner of Travis and Santa Rosa, next to the apartment complex.

Speculation in real estate circles is that the Soap Factory property could become the site of a new baseball stadium.
Odin
AG
They need to get the hell away from downtown and the southside of San Antonio. Wolff has always been a sump but the self serving ass wanted a stadium named after him. The alamodome was terrible and always has been. AT&T was supposed to revitalize the east side and it hasn't had the impact they wanted.

Take a page from the Round Rock express and put it in a place people want to go and will go
AG
Odin said:

They need to get the hell away from downtown and the southside of San Antonio. Wolff has always been a sump but the self serving ass wanted a stadium named after him. The alamodome was terrible and always has been. AT&T was supposed to revitalize the east side and it hasn't had the impact they wanted.

Take a page from the Round Rock express and put it in a place people want to go and will go
I disagree, think it would be terrific for the city if it were downtown.

I spent a lot of time in Seattle this year and it's so great going to Mariners games. Take public transit downtown, have dinner before the game, walk to the stadium, leave stadium and walk to get a night cap, take public transit home. Obviously San Antonio is nothing like Seattle but if it's in the right location I absolutely think it could be a success.

Alamdome doesn't work well since it's east of the highway where nothing is. A lot more people live downtown now so if it's at Hemisfair I think it could have a huge impact on downtown and southtown.
MookieBlaylock
AG
There is no public transit downtown like Seattle

Ain't nobody want to drive into downtoqb
Odin
AG
This push is the problem. Stop trying to force downtown on everyone else. There is one reason to go to downtown San Antonio, to see the Alamo, everything else is overrated and not worth it.

Public transportation, yeah let me ride VIA and hope I don't smell like bun piss when I get off the crappy bus. VIA can't even keep the bathrooms at there new transit stations clean much less busses.
LCE
AG
I agree and where should the baseball stadium go?
AG
Odin said:

This push is the problem. Stop trying to force downtown on everyone else. There is one reason to go to downtown San Antonio, to see the Alamo, everything else is overrated and not worth it.

Public transportation, yeah let me ride VIA and hope I don't smell like bun piss when I get off the crappy bus. VIA can't even keep the bathrooms at there new transit stations clean much less busses.
Definitely will concede the public transport point but disagree on the first one.

"There is only one reason to go downtown." Well if there is a stadium, then there will be two. Also SA is one of the largest tourists destinations in the state, where are the tourists going?

I lived downtown and in southtown in my 20s so maybe I'm just nostalgic. Was definitely more fun than when I lived on the northside.
p_bubel
210 said:

Odin said:

Definitely will concede the public transport point but disagree on the first one.

"There is only one reason to go downtown." Well if there is a stadium, then there will be two. Also SA is one of the largest tourists destinations in the state, where are the tourists going?

I lived downtown and in southtown in my 20s so maybe I'm just nostalgic. Was definitely more fun than when I lived on the northside.

It's more crowded and busier than ever. Getting people down here isn't a problem.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
If only we would have funded the electric trolleys, we would have the transportation issue taken care of.

Person Not Capable of Pregnancy
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.