SACS vs. Antonian vs. Cornerstone

4,092 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Honolulu Blue
SA Ag 91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Have a co-worker with young kids and is looking into private school for their little ones. Pre-school/kindergarten.

Can someone compare and contrast the three private schools mentioned above?

Also, if you feel strongly about another school other than those mentioned above, feel free to offer it up.

They are in the 1604 Blano/Stone Oak Parkway area.

TIA.
Macarthur
Don't want to derail already, but if they are in that area - Vineyard Ranch, Lopez and Reagan are outstanding options for them to go through.
russaggie
AG
Antonian is only high school, so if they're looking at pre-school/kindergarten age they can skip that option.

Another option would be Christian School at Castle Hills. It's right around the corner from Antonian and has elementary through 12th grade. Very good education with an emphasis on the Christian part, unlike Cornerstone. Cornerstone is going for the mega-church, bigger is better philosophy instead of the Christian based education they used to strive for.

I can't speak for SACS as I don't have any first-hand information on them.
MookieBlaylock
AG
St George is right by Antonian and is an outstanding school for K to 8

Most students end up going to Antonian, TMI, St Marys or Central

The John Hagee school looks nice but he is a fraud so good luck
Macarthur
MookieBlaylock said:

St George is right by Antonian and is an outstanding school for K to 8

Most students end up going to Antonian, TMI, St Marys or Central

The John Hagee school looks nice but he is a fraud so good luck

Glad you said it.
GCRanger
AG
St Pius is good as well though a further drive. I went there. My kids go there. I'm biased. We have a few families drive in from far Northside, Dominion, New Braunfels. Most graduates go to Central, Incarnate Word, Antonian, and John Paul II.

We have our Parish festival this Sunday 11-5.

Ginormus Ag
AG
We have a friend that goes to the Lutheran school there at 1604 and Huebner and they like it. They only have one kid, so them putting their kid in that school says a lot to me. They have this kids future planned out already down to almost the day. Our kids go to one of the private schools in Bulverde. PM me if you want an assessment of those schools compared to SACS.
BBGigem
AG
My three kids went to Antonian with the last one graduating in 2021 so not too long ago. I do think Antonian did a really nice job of preparing them for college. This was especially so during Covid. They accommodated with in person attendance but the they had full on classes and students were required to attend in person or online. Basically, they had school. I have relatives at NEISD schools who were given homework for the week and completed it in 3-4 hours. Anyway, not to slam those I just was very happy how well Antonian handled school during that time and my child was prepared for college.

I have a few friends who had kids go through SACS and they all speak very highly of the school.

I don't know anyone who went to Cornerstone so I have no opinion.

Antonian is a Catholic school but you do not have to be Catholic to go there. Antonian and SACS have good extracurricular activities including good sports teams if that is important to you. I know the prices of the schools vary a bit. Antonian is high school only but SACS does have K-12, I believe.

As with anything, you will find lots of opinions on all of the schools but I highly suggest your friend call each school and ask for a tour.
BBGigem
AG
Boy I went right past the age of their kids. I need to learn to read. Antonian won't be an option for a while. Many have mentioned other schools as well. Many of the kids that end up at Antonian went to schools like Holy Spirit, St. Matthews, and St. George which are pretty close to Antonian. Some a little further away from them would be St. Luke's, Mount Sacred Heart and a few others. All of those except St. George are Catholic schools. As others have mentioned, there are other private schools in the same areas including Concordia Lutheran as somebody else mentioned.
mccjames
AG
If you want to travel a bit San Antonio Academy, Keystone, and St. Lukes
Easy come, Easy go
Good Bull Jones 17
AG
My brother went to SACS and had a really good experience.
AgShaun00
AG
I have a lot of friends who went to sacs back in the day. One of them volunteers as a track coach. He says it is a good school. I would say it is worth checking out.
TxAgMom17
We have several friends who had children of various ages at SACS. They all had great things to say about it, and they've all turned out to be decent, considerate kids. Of course, that has to do with family as well as school influence.

Our children went to Cornerstone preschool about 30 years ago. I wouldn't say we had a bad experience, but when our kids were in preschool there, the pastor (John Hagee at the time) decided to close the preschool (due to bad press about the school because of an incident that occurred at the time) with no prior notice to the teachers or the parents. There were people picking up their kids and showing up on the doorsteps of nearby Christian schools looking for literal overnight placement for their children. It wasn't a good situation, and it has grown so enormous over the years (with the original pastor's son now at the helm) that it is now a megachurch school that seems kind of impersonal.

Antonian is kind of a drive from the Stone Oak area but maybe not that far if they're in the Blanco Rd./1604 area.

Another school to consider is St. Mary's Hall near 410 and Starcrest. I've heard good things about it.

Also, St. Thomas Episcopal School is an elementary school that's not far from them on Loop 1604 near US Hwy. 281. I know children who have gone there, and their parents liked it.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Central Catholic is outstanding and if you don't get into college there is a city job waiting for ya

Got my kid into his dream school so the investment paid off bigly
Halconblack
AG
It is a bit of a drive but if you are considering Keystone and San Antonio Academy then they might check out St. David's. Anne Ivey is the head of the school now after a long stay at San Antonio Academy.
v/r
hedge
Is that a dig at central catholic?
Honolulu Blue
Played against these schools. SACS can pound sand.

Edit to add: I joke. I know they are all great schools and rivalries go both ways. But at the time, apart from David Robinson, I did not like the SACS culture
John 6 22:59 The Bread of Life Discourse
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.