SAWS bill getting stupid

4,238 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by jgh85Ag
Clob94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
There's some seriously sketch looking stuff going on with my bill.

Anybody else having huge over charges on theirs?
Picard
AG
This is what happens with Democrats in charge.

Don't ever water your yard, comrade!
LCE
AG
Yes. Don't know specifics but wife mentioned our water bill was crazy high.
TX AG 88
AG
The last 2 years I lived in S.A. (moved in 2020) we had one month of huge bills each summer. Like $200-$250 more than normal. We did leak investigation, etc. to eliminate an "oops" cause for the charges. Then we called and asked for an explanation. They merely told us the meter readings for the month(s) in question. They CLAIMED the meters were read every month, so the blame wasn't underestimated bills for a few months and then finally a catch-up bill, which I guess I could have understood. Since we complained, they gave us a meaningless "refund" of some pittance ($25 or $30, IIRC) so we'd shut up.

Others were affected by the same phenomenon. Neighbors mentioned it, and they even said something about it on the news, but nothing systemic or "questionable" was ever uncovered, but I firmly believe that's due to lack of serious attempts at investigative reporting. SAWS is more squirrely than CPS, and both are significantly less squirrely than elected leadership, which was a minor part in our choice to move out of SA and Bexar County (grandkids proximity being the overwhelming factor).

Good luck, I'm sure you're getting screwed, but not sure what your recourse is. If you're the organized and vigilant type, maybe reading your own meter every month would prevent/expose any future shenanigans?
jgh85Ag
AG
FYI, SAWS is going through their 5 year rate advisory committee. The rate structure change is revenue neutral. BUT, lower tier users will be paying less. Customers that use over 9 to 10k gallons, per month, will be paying more. Some members of the committee wanted an even bigger disparity.

The new rate structure starts Feb 1 if approved by the SAWS board.

The new AMI system has started rolling out and should be completed in the next 2 years. Takes a while to change out 500k meters.
Nom de Plume
AG
I love these rate structures. With a family of 5, pool and a half acre yard it's impossible to keep below 10k gal per month. During the summer we can't keep below a multiple of that. I don't mind paying more for use, and even bigger fixed fees for capital improvements, but I hate paying exponentially more to subsidize others. Drives me nuts.

CPS and SAWS were both $600+.
jgh85Ag
AG
Yep. Article today, 83% will be same or less.
bonfarr
AG
My bill for July was $650. I was watering 4 days a week for 10 minutes per station but no way it should have cost that right? I shut everything off and watched the meter and didn't see anything that led me to suspect a leak.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
bonfarr said:

My bill for July was $650. I was watering 4 days a week for 10 minutes per station but no way it should have cost that right? I shut everything off and watched the meter and didn't see anything that led me to suspect a leak.
How many stations? I have 6 in my set and that can actually put out a pretty good amount of water. Four days a week is a lot even at 10 minutes each. I have mine set for right at 30 minutes a station on Wednesday and then I run them 10-12 more minutes on Wednesday after the sun goes down. I hand water once a week on my bare spots where I don't have a lot of soil.

Person Not Capable of Pregnancy
Nom de Plume
AG
bonfarr said:

I was watering 4 days a week
ISWYDT.

I'm down to $500 this month!
LCE
AG
$425 last month to $120 this month.
bonfarr
AG
I stopped watering entirely.

CPS bill came in for July, $550.
Vernada
AG
Nom de Plume said:

I love these rate structures. With a family of 5, pool and a half acre yard it's impossible to keep below 10k gal per month. During the summer we can't keep below a multiple of that. I don't mind paying more for use, and even bigger fixed fees for capital improvements, but I hate paying exponentially more to subsidize others. Drives me nuts.

CPS and SAWS were both $600+.

Not exactly sure how your structure works but for us everyone pays the same. There's no 'subsidizing' others so to speak. But every time you hit a new level (3k gal, 5k gal,etc) your rate on the next increment increases. But your first 3k costs exactly the same as everyone else.
SanAntoneAg
AG
Last two months my bill was $40 and my statement had 0 gallons used.

Just checked the meter. It appears to have failed.

Guess I'll self report but part of me wants to see how long it takes them to figure it out.
Gig 'em! '90
jgh85Ag
AG
Shortage of meters right now.
AggieArchitect04
AG
Mine is $34 every month.

Water should be free. Like air.
LawHall88
AG
Burdizzo
AG
I wonder if Anne Hayden is wearing that outfit herself.
The Dog Lord
AG
Noticed my bill was lower than January despite using more water. I guess that new rate structure will save money for those using under a certain amount.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
LawHall88 said:

Just how would you word that on your resume?

Person Not Capable of Pregnancy
SoTxAg
AG
When the last kid goes off to college and the yard gets some real rain….

BrazosDog02
AG
If people living in or around the hill country and are watering their yard, they should not only be charged for usage, it should be penalized and charged at a premium. Tremendous waste of water that is completely unnecessary. It's not free to get that water. Bear in mind, there are still acreages available outside the city where you can move and drill your own well, and do what you want for nothing more than the cost of electricity.
jgh85Ag
AG
BrazosDog02 said:

If people living in or around the hill country and are watering their yard, they should not only be charged for usage, it should be penalized and charged at a premium. Tremendous waste of water that is completely unnecessary. It's not free to get that water. Bear in mind, there are still acreages available outside the city where you can move and drill your own well, and do what you want for nothing more than the cost of electricity.

Believe me, they are. Now more than ever.
On step 12 of 22 step BAS Anonymous program. Please donate, the struggle is real.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.