Divorce attorney San Antonio area

2,847 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by AggieArchitect04
SquirrellyDan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Not fun to have to ask this, but can anyone recommend a good divorce attorney in the area? This whole thing sprung up on me out of nowhere, I came to terms with it and figured this would be as amicable as possible. We don't have any kids, so that's a huge issue we don't have to deal with. However, I just read the original petition filed by my soon to be ex wife's attorney and it reads anything but amicable.

Thanks in advance for any help.
satexas
AG
Humor me and please read - this could save you a lifetime of pain - lots of info in here...

If there's a chance, try to sit down with her and let her know you understand that divorce is inevitable but if she's willing to talk, it will save you BOTH a ton of money. Let her know the more she's willing to sit down with you and just talk about what she wants, versus what you want (assets), and parental rights (visitation/custody) then the more money she'll get. It will also speed it all up, etc etc. Being bitter in divorces is stupid - because your own hate just costs money that you nor your spouse get - you both lose. The faster both of you understand this, the better off you'll be. Let her know if she wants to hate you, fine, she can hate you - but this is business and it's best you guys hammer it out because she'll save herself a ton of money doing so, and that it's in her interest to TRY to work it out verbally, and then let the attorneys put it to paper and go automated as much as possible.

Not a conspiracy to say this - it's true - Divorce Attorneys *LOVE* to fight, create billable hours and they're so programmed to do it.

(For those reading this that have kids - If you have kids underage, implore you're willing to work together with her because you both have to parent post-divorce moving forward and it's 1000x better for the kids if you're both not acting like asses.)

Secondly - ALL divorce paperwork reads mean and ugly - so before you react too much here, try to talk to her and ask if this wording is her directive or is this just typical attorney stuff - and then try to use the advice above to reach a general amicable environment where you two can sit down and talk about what both of your end games are through a divorce, what she wants, what you want, etc etc. Hammer it out as much as possible. Be super-reasonable.

My divorce was amicable but her attorney kept sending me ugly stuff - so before I reacted I'd call her and go "Honey, I just go 'this', and sent you a PDF copy via email - so before I react to this because it goes against what we talked about, I need to know if this is your words, or just your attorney being an automatic fight. If it's the latter, please have your attorney retract, I'll let you handle it." And each time, she quickly quashed her own attorney's BS. My divorce via the attorney below cost me less than $5,000 out the door because it was amicable.

Call Michael Black's office at 210-829-2020, tell em' Russ in IT sent you. They know my name.
Gonna have to flush the toilet, but that's one expensive poo.
SquirrellyDan
AG
That's excellent advice, thank you so much. Crazy thing is we are not even estranged or anything. We've had fertility issues which have been difficult for me but no doubt almost unbearable for her. Other than two stubborn people bumping heads and getting in silly arguments, many of which admittedly are my fault, I thought we were fine. Last weekend we're considering tile options in our kitchen, yesterday I get some self righteous letter from her attorney saying I'm not allowed in my home while this is pending. The absolute suddenness of this is a shock to me, almost makes me think there's someone else which would be awful but its at least something I could come to grips with. Anyways, I'll end my sob story here.

Anyways, I'll reach out the the lawyer today and I appreciate your help. On an equal note, as a single man with a good job my fishing and outdoor availability just went through the roof. Anyone on here ever want to go shoot some duck/dove or go fishing let me know.
satexas
AG
SquirrellyDan said:

That's excellent advice, thank you so much. Crazy thing is we are not even estranged or anything. We've had fertility issues which have been difficult for me but no doubt almost unbearable for her. Other than two stubborn people bumping heads and getting in silly arguments, many of which admittedly are my fault, I thought we were fine. Last weekend we're considering tile options in our kitchen, yesterday I get some self righteous letter from her attorney saying I'm not allowed in my home while this is pending. The absolute suddenness of this is a shock to me, almost makes me think there's someone else which would be awful but its at least something I could come to grips with. Anyways, I'll end my sob story here.

Anyways, I'll reach out the the lawyer today and I appreciate your help. On an equal note, as a single man with a good job my fishing and outdoor availability just went through the roof. Anyone on here ever want to go shoot some duck/dove or go fishing let me know.

Assuming what you said is true, that's _really_ weird. At this point, I'd say it's a good thing that the fertility didn't work out because so many people (women) think having kids is the a-all-fix-all and all it does is just delay things a number of years - never stops the inevitable.

You have as much right to the home as she does - don't leave it without talking to a lawyer first, and NEVER do ANYTHING without a judge-signed court order. Her lawyer can say anything he/she wants, but they have zero power over you - it's all bluster until a judge makes a decision(s). That's FACT.

If she wants the divorce, and she wants away from you, SHE can leave while it's being sorted.

It's your homestead.

And yes, there's probably someone else, she's getting her empowerment and courage from somewhere.... not that the 'someone else' part matters at this point.
satexas
AG
FYI,

Just got a call from Michael Black himself saying he's left you messages and is trying to reach you, and confirmed what I told you - don't leave your house - your wife can't do crap to you right now.

Call him back asap before you make any possible mistakes - you need to be educated/helped/assisted on how to proceed and what your rights are.
agforlife97
AG
I'd recommend Harold Zuflacht, or someone else from that firm. Best in SA, IMO.
A New Hope
Crystal Thompson is very bright. She is with Langley Banack.

My divorce was very amicable which honestly was surprising since my ex was a horribly selfish wife and mother. But she hated the idea of paying lawyers anymore than absolutely necessary and she didn't want her life messed up with a long drawn out divorce which is exactly what I threatened if she tried to get 1/2 of the assets when I'd made 90% of the sacrifice. We agreed to negotiate terms between the two of us rather than letting lawyers intervene on our respective behalf….Long story short…she hired an absolutely terrible lawyer, Brandon Wong and it worked sooooo much in my favor. She lost confidence in him so quickly and didn't want to deal with him any longer or go thru the trouble of finding new legal counsel.….and I hired, ONLY AS A CONSULTANT, Crystal Thompson to review paperwork and explain legalese to me. Otherwise, I had no legal representation.

4.5 months from beginning to final decree.

Total of less than $10k for her lawyer and Crystal as a consultant. Her bill was $7k and mine was $2800.

I've known a lot of divorced people and my case is definitely in the top 1% for ease and amicableness. My example was a guy I know that he and his wife hired one law firm to represent them both. They negotiated all items between the two of them and their legal drew up paperwork…63 days from initial filing to final decree….unfortunately, my friends ex was crazy and now they're back in court because over ownership of the home which they assigned joint ownership….Smdh.
SquirrellyDan
AG
satexas said:

FYI,

Just got a call from Michael Black himself saying he's left you messages and is trying to reach you, and confirmed what I told you - don't leave your house - your wife can't do crap to you right now.

Call him back asap before you make any possible mistakes - you need to be educated/helped/assisted on how to proceed and what your rights are.

Sorry just seeing this. I got in touch with him yesterday and things are moving along. Thanks
GCRanger
AG
Move to another room but DO NOT move out of the house. Advice I heard through friends who went through this shiz.
satexas
AG
GCRanger said:

Move to another room but DO NOT move out of the house. Advice I heard through friends who went through this shiz.

100%.

It's always easier said than done, but you must now go TOTAL BUSINESS mode and try to remove the emotion out of all future things involving assets/money/accounts/etc.

Treat it like a business situation (doesn't mean you have a business, just treat it AS business) - and you can do the 'emotion part' after. Fight for what's right and fair now, cry later basically.

And if you think she's cheating (infidelity), you mostly have three choices on this :

1. Hire a PI and get proof and use it in court as an angle (lot of cost involved that may reap nothing)

2. Bluff, let her know you know about him/her and that you have proof and you're willing to use it to show she caused this, not him in court to your advantage if she's not willing to be amicable and come to a solution that satisfies you.

3. Do nothing, let it go.
P.U.T.U
AG
I have not heard of not being able to live in the house while this is pending unless their is proof of someone being in danger.

Jesse S. White is okay with paperwork but apparently really good in court if it goes that far. There is one really good one that a lot of people recommended that I can find if you want. Costly but if you think its going to get dirty she is who you want

I do have PI firm that operates in San Antonio if you need one. Yes they are expensive but if you can prove something you can move the 50/50 of assets in your direction.
BaileyAg
AG
Praying for you, man
P.U.T.U
AG
If her attorney was sending you stuff directly your attorney should have brung that to the judge since that means they could no longer represent their client. I know of 2 people that had their ex contact their attorney and they responded only to have to fire their attorney.

A New Hope
I'd like to add that I think divorce attorneys are some of the most despicable people on earth. They LIVE to cause turmoil, hatred, and to BREAK up families. The longer and nastier the divorce, the more money they make. It really is that simple.

My wife's attorney HATED the fact that we talked at all and that we agreed on how to handle things and remain amicable post divorce. HATED it. That's the kind of people you're dealing with.

Best of luck. It's not easy regardless. Friend of mine (twice divorced) told me….'everyday it'll get a little bit easier, even if it doesn't feel like it at the time. When you look back, it will have gotten a little easier each day.'

agforlife97
AG
Fedup said:

I'd like to add that I think divorce attorneys are some of the most despicable people on earth. They LIVE to cause turmoil, hatred, and to BREAK up families. The longer and nastier the divorce, the more money they make. It really is that simple.

My wife's attorney HATED the fact that we talked at all and that we agreed on how to handle things and remain amicable post divorce. HATED it. That's the kind of people you're dealing with.

Best of luck. It's not easy regardless. Friend of mine (twice divorced) told me….'everyday it'll get a little bit easier, even if it doesn't feel like it at the time. When you look back, it will have gotten a little easier each day.'

I'm an attorney myself in a different practice area and I totally agree with this. The family law area of practice is just despicable. You have to take control and moderate the fighting to the extent you can, especially if you have kids. It takes a long time to get over it no matter what and the fighting just makes it more painful.
Reload8098
AG
satexas said:

Humor me and please read - this could save you a lifetime of pain - lots of info in here...

If there's a chance, try to sit down with her and let her know you understand that divorce is inevitable but if she's willing to talk, it will save you BOTH a ton of money. Let her know the more she's willing to sit down with you and just talk about what she wants, versus what you want (assets), and parental rights (visitation/custody) then the more money she'll get. It will also speed it all up, etc etc. Being bitter in divorces is stupid - because your own hate just costs money that you nor your spouse get - you both lose. The faster both of you understand this, the better off you'll be. Let her know if she wants to hate you, fine, she can hate you - but this is business and it's best you guys hammer it out because she'll save herself a ton of money doing so, and that it's in her interest to TRY to work it out verbally, and then let the attorneys put it to paper and go automated as much as possible.

Not a conspiracy to say this - it's true - Divorce Attorneys *LOVE* to fight, create billable hours and they're so programmed to do it.

(For those reading this that have kids - If you have kids underage, implore you're willing to work together with her because you both have to parent post-divorce moving forward and it's 1000x better for the kids if you're both not acting like asses.)

Secondly - ALL divorce paperwork reads mean and ugly - so before you react too much here, try to talk to her and ask if this wording is her directive or is this just typical attorney stuff - and then try to use the advice above to reach a general amicable environment where you two can sit down and talk about what both of your end games are through a divorce, what she wants, what you want, etc etc. Hammer it out as much as possible. Be super-reasonable.

My divorce was amicable but her attorney kept sending me ugly stuff - so before I reacted I'd call her and go "Honey, I just go 'this', and sent you a PDF copy via email - so before I react to this because it goes against what we talked about, I need to know if this is your words, or just your attorney being an automatic fight. If it's the latter, please have your attorney retract, I'll let you handle it." And each time, she quickly quashed her own attorney's BS. My divorce via the attorney below cost me less than $5,000 out the door because it was amicable.

Call Michael Black's office at 210-829-2020, tell em' Russ in IT sent you. They know my name.
Excellent advice. Even though there aren't any kids I would keep a journal of every conversation you and your future ex have. Keep all texts and record all phone calls. It could very well save you money and will certainly lessen the stress. The fact that you didn't see this coming is one reason I'd document. Doesn't sound like she's totally upfront with you.
Mine was beyond the pale. Three kids with a crazy ex. My documentation, journaling, etc. buried her when she took me back to a court to try for more money.
Vernada
AG
SquirrellyDan said:

Last weekend we're considering tile options in our kitchen, yesterday I get some self righteous letter from her attorney saying I'm not allowed in my home while this is pending. The absolute suddenness of this is a shock to me,
good grief! that is terrible!
AggieArchitect04
AG
Sorry to hear about this but thank your lucky stars you didn't have a child with her. That is a terrible position to be in, particularly for a man.

I used Justin Cook with Cook & Cook for my divorce and I'm currently using him for another case. Sounds like they might be a good fit if y'all are trying to agree to something outside of court.

Unsolicited personal advice #1: try to not get too worked up or scared with the language in the paperwork. Attorneys throw as much as they can and a lot of times it's just to set the table for negotiation.

Unsolicited personal advice #2: take care of yourself and try not to let this consume you. Which will be hard. Treat yourself to something you like to do 2-3 times a week. She just gave you a free pass to be selfish.

Unsolicited personal advice #3: it's no longer your job to look out for her. Protect yourself and look out for number 1. Trust me…she's doing the same.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.