BCAD 2022

5,973 Views | 52 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Nom de Plume
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Has anyone ever opted to do an informal conference vs e-file? From reading my Comal CAD info, e-filing is your informal conference, so you can either e-file or request an informal meeting at which point you'll actually go and sit down with one of the county appraisers.

I'm wondering if this will lead to a better discussion vs the "I submit my evidence and you give me a counter offer" e-file mechanism.

Ultimately, my primary goal is to get them to accept our purchase price from last year (which represents an 85% increase in valuation over 2021) vs their appraisal (which would be a 125% increase).

Given that we did buy last year, we're not capped (we've filed, but it won't impact this year's taxes), so for us, every dollar of reduction counts. I'm hopeful that they'll be sympathetic to the idea of giving us a mere 85% bump vs over doubling the price, but who knows.
Red Pear Medina
Sponsor
AG
Write everyone. Write your state rep, write every city-council member, write the mayor, write the tax appraiser. Write everyone!

We need to be able to cap taxable appraisal increases, and not just on homestead properties. The fact of the matter is, the renters are going to be hit the hardest here. Rental properties are able to be taxed on the entire increase, whereas homestead properties (primary residence) the annual increase is limited to 10% more than the previous year's appraised value

If you're a renter, you need to start thinking about what this is going to mean for your rent come lease-renewal season.

Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
Red Pear Medina
Sponsor
AG
Check out the comptroller's site: https://comptroller.texas.gov/taxes/property-tax/protests/

There's an official protest form under the protests tab! Hope this helps, and hope you win!
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
Vernada
AG
any opinion on Onwell (previous realAppeal) v O'Connor?

I'm guessing Onwell is newer - and cheaper - they charge 25% of savings vs. 50%.

But are they as good?
SoTxAg
AG
Up 20% in 78248. Protest being filed.
Burdizzo
AG
dunlay said:

Up 32% in NW Bexar county... thinking about getting an attorney to draw up a purchase agreement and try to force BAD to buy it at what they think the value is.
Make no mistake, BAD is acting as a taxing agency, not an appraisal agency. This needs to stop, and everyone needs to call your State representatives. Personally, my tax bill is now higher than my mortgage.

For all the years I have been paying property tax, I have never seen anyone actually do this. Heck, I can't imagine any attorney taking the case.

Welcome to the club. My tax payment has been more than my mortgage for a long time. It has just as much to do with how you finance your house as it does the tax rate.
Halconblack
AG
Anyone have results of a personal protest versus a paid protest? I have my initial offer on a personal and they weren't very impressive.
v/r
jgh85Ag
AG
TFOS has had some luck. But, I think they would do anything to keep him out of the office.
lp01
AG
I protested mine online last year and they dropped it about $60k back to the purchase price. Don't think they will do that this year.
Burdizzo
AG
No surprise here...

https://sanantonioreport.org/who-protests-appraisals/

Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
jgh85Ag said:

TFOS has had some luck. But, I think they would do anything to keep him out of the office.
You damn right skippy. Pictures, pictures, pictures. Nitpick everything. Last couple of years was on line and they dropped both times. Last time in person I told the guy "I'm looking for a fight and I hope you brought a lunch" then I said I was just messing with him. Most everything I heard is they split the savings, but I've never spent more than four hours prep and meeting total even when I had to set up an in person appt.

jgh needs to go back to his community service commitments and stop sending out sternly worded emails.

Person Not Capable of Pregnancy
Red Pear Medina
Sponsor
AG
Too soon?
Burdizzo
AG
I filed my protest yesterday
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
SOME good news: About 40% of your bill is your school district's M&O. Anything over 2.5% increase in collections compresses the tax rate, with the state making up the difference to your district. Anything over 3.5% for other taxing districts is supposed to trigger a tax election, but there are some issues with doing that because taxing entities are claiming disaster status because Abbott's disaster declaration is STILL on the books.

When rates come out, many if not most Texans, not living in austin where they voted for a tax hike, will see their overall levee go down year over year.
DanTX
AG
Hey Ags, My name is Dardan Salihu, I'm a Realtor in the San Antonio Area! If anyone wants help with gathering comps to fight their appraisal please feel free to reach out.

Dardan Salihu
(210) 204-6592
dardan@castillo-group.com

@dardanrealty (Instagram)
Bluff Rat
AG
NastyNate said:

30% for me in 78260.
Yes sir, I tried to find comps to protest and it was pretty hard. I did a protest online but I don't think the outcome will be what I want.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
Got 20% of my appraised value removed from the roll in about 5 minutes with GCAD this morning.
Nom de Plume
AG
Our results in north Bexar:

BCAD appraised value decreased 5.5% after protest by O'Connor
BCAD assessed value capped at 10% increase (this value is still only ~70% of FMV)

BISD lowered their rate since the values have increased, so that should help some. Tax burden will increase but our values are still OK so its hard to complain.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.