Best High End Steakhouse in SA?

7,966 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by LCE
Booma94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What is the best high-end steakhouse in San Antonio?

Perry's
Ruth's Chris
The Palm

I know these are all chains, so if there is a better independent option, I'm open to that as well.

TIA
azul_rain
Bohanans is arguably the best steakhouse in the whole state, plus the owner and chef is an Aggie
BrazosBull
AG
J Prime
BlackLab
AG
hedge said:

Bohanans is arguably the best steakhouse in the whole state, plus the owner and chef is an Aggie

This and I don't think there is a close 2nd in SA.
bam02
AG
I've never been to bohannon's but I am sure it is the best. All I've ever heard.

I will say that JPrime has to be second best, though. Been dozens of times and it's never short of amazing.
LCE
AG
This.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Well this thread ended quickly
Kramer
AG
If you go to Bo's also understand that if you have to ask how much, it's not a place for you. Our typical meal runs $100 per plate. Certain things run more.
Four Seasons Landscaping
Never made it out of there for less than $150/person.

Never felt ripped off either.
muleshoe
AG
If you feel like driving, Bohanan's for sure. We just don't like going downtown that much anymore and J-Prime has been awesome and much closer, plus how can you go wrong with thick pepper bacon on a salad??

WTH….a picture of a salad gets flagged?
LawHall88
AG
muleshoe said:

If you feel like driving, Bohanan's for sure. We just don't like going downtown that much anymore and J-Prime has been awesome and much closer, plus how can you go wrong with thick pepper bacon on a salad??

WTH….a picture of a salad gets flagged?

That bacon is too erotic for a family friendly website.
gwellis
AG
J Prime is Great. As is Morton's and The Palm.

I wasn't impressed with Bohannons. Sorry. Don't care for Ruth's Chris, nor Bob's, nor Perry's.

Can't go wrong with J Prime, Motons, or The Palm.
Gil '91
AgsMyDude
AG
BrazosBull said:

J Prime

Just went Saturday. Always love that place.
Evo
AG
hedge said:

Agreed. I've been to more than a few charity events there, so I assume the are good people.

Don't hate, but Flemings in the Quarry and Cappy's has a good steak with bone marrow butter.
A New Hope
Personally I like bobs, yes..it's not quite as nice as bohanons or j prime where all the rich foreign nationals hangout but it's casual laid back and they've got a truly amazing carrot cake. Best around,
SW AG80
AG
We have only eaten at Bohanon's twice. The last time we were seated next to a large group of Mexican nationals with several kids. They were really loud. It was a full house that night so they said they had no other place to seat us. And for you out of towners, Mexican nationals get treated like royalty in SA. It was a miserable experience with kids running around the tables.

We have not been back.

Have not tried J Prime even though it is close to our house. I, too, like Bob's. And Flemings is always solid. Downtown we always go to The Palm.
azul_rain
Mexican Nationals are beyond irritating, they will stop in the middle of a walkway and disrupt foot traffic to have a conservation, create big messes and just overall have a scumbag entitlement that rivals the housewives of dallas
bam02
AG
I don't think they get treated like royalty because anyone reveres them. I imagine waitstaff can't stand them either. They're demanding as hell so they probably just have the staff hopping to everything.
azul_rain
bingo, i think most people want them out ASAP, will give them more attention to be done with them sooner
LCE
AG
Mexican Nationals reason I stopped going to South Padre. Kids walking through your tent on the beach. Cutting in line at restaurants etc.

Not steak, but the pork chop special at Perry's hard to beat.
AgsMyDude
AG
You should definitely try J Prime. It's excellent
billyjack2009
That pork chop is amazing
Bluff Rat
AG
Texas Roadhouse and you get the unlimited basket of rolls. You're welcome!
Kramer
AG
Bohanon's 15 years ago was probably the best experience I've ever had in a resturant. Incredible service. Very engaging staff. You really felt like they went all out for you. This included little things like cleaning the table between courses, palet cleansing sherbert, and almost constant water/drink refills with checkups on how you were doing and was there anything they could get you.

Over the years, it's deteriorated to a good but nothing really special experience. I think it's mostly because of the popularity and expansion. I took my mother there for Mothers' Day one year about 6 years ago and there was absolutely nothing special about it. We got seated in the big back room. Lots of other big groups. The food took forever to come out, the staff didn't really pay any attention to us. The food was good but the entire thing felt like they were just trying to get us out (except the food taking forever).

Last time we were there was a few years ago for our anniversary and it was nice, but again, nothing really special. Menu was the same as it had been for years. It wasn't as busy as previously. We got better service, but nothing close to the early years.

My wife mentioned going this year. It's now a 30 mile drive into Downtown. We opted to go somewhere else closer (and less expensive). I'm sure we'll go back, but it's just not something we feel is particularly worth the time and cost for.
wadd96
AG
We visited J Prime last May for my parents 50th. Food and wine was great. But the room was very loud (sat next to a retirement party.)

Was the food worth the price? Yes, I would say so. But did the atmosphere lack because it was just a big loud room? I would also say yes.

We've been to bBohannon's a couple of times, and have never had a bad meal and the atmosphere was on par for what it should have been but gave us an opportunity to eat the meal at our pace.
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
18 Oaks up at the JW Marriott is the best I've had in the Duece Dime
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
bam02 said:

I don't think they get treated like royalty because anyone reveres them. I imagine waitstaff can't stand them either. They're demanding as hell so they probably just have the staff hopping to everything.
My son was a waiter at Yardhouse during college. He HATED nationals. Rude, demanding, very poor tipping on top of treating the staff like trash.
m-walker
AG
I like Bob's
AggieMD95
AG
My list
JPrime
Perry's
Bobs
Ruth's Chris at quarry
Bohanons
AnScAggie
AG
My list in order of preference:
Bob's
Bohanan's
Eddie V's (had dinner there last night, malpeque oysters and steak)
The Palm
Myron's (NB location >>>>>SA location)
The Barn Door (Chateau Briand)
Boudro's
AgsMyDude
AG
Missing J Prime
La Vernia_Ag06
AG
Took the wife to Perry's this week, I'd been there only once before during Lent so just had fish. This time got the NY Strip Prime and she had the pork chop. Pork chop was legit, but the steak was pretty sorry imo, especially for the price of $65. Not going back there anytime soon.

J Primes and Bohanan's were great experiences!
azul_rain
You don't go to Perry's for steak IMO
La Vernia_Ag06
AG
Have heard that from a few folks after the fact, now we know, lol.
agforlife97
AG
RiverAg 80 said:

We have only eaten at Bohanon's twice. The last time we were seated next to a large group of Mexican nationals with several kids. They were really loud. It was a full house that night so they said they had no other place to seat us. And for you out of towners, Mexican nationals get treated like royalty in SA. It was a miserable experience with kids running around the tables.

We have not been back.

Have not tried J Prime even though it is close to our house. I, too, like Bob's. And Flemings is always solid. Downtown we always go to The Palm.
This is a major issue in Northwest SA in particular. I banked at a bank branch in La Cantera for a long time, but switched to a different branch because I just can't stand their arrogance and entitlement. Everyone knows where the money comes from.

As far as steak houses go, my vote goes for J Prime as well. It rivals any steak house in Houston for sure. Bohanon's is good but not as good, but I do like the downstairs jazz bar. No other places in SA are close to anything in Houston, where I lived before SA, though of course Ruth's Chris is always solid.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.