Does anyone have any feedback on Smithson Valley High School?

6,620 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by NastyNate
Ag86Hotard109
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sent three kids through SV. Great grades all in Top 5%. Comal gave them a great start to their education from elementary junior high and high school.... No scholarship but all went to A&M and graduated. Married Aggie spouses. One flying Blackhawks, and 2 teachers. But.....ain't never gonna win state in football until Larry Hill is gone... good coach...good record...but I think hes jinxed.
Macarthur
TheHoneybadger said:

I will have a daughter going into high school age in a year and I do not want her going to any "woke" high schools. I do have experience with the area and the school from a long time ago, but I have no idea how things are now. Given that I bought a couple of lots in that area I am deciding on moving sooner or later, this being one of the deciding factors. Can anyone provide any feedback on SVHS? Thanks!

I'm a bit surprised that no one asked what types of EC your daughter is interested....I actually think what your kid likes and what goals they have should play a factor in this.

TheHoneybadger
AG
Thanks for the latest replies. Really great feedback in general. I will take a look at the links that some of you have provided. She is into STEM and not athletic at all, although she certainly has the height for it. I think the academic competition will be great for her. It drives her crazy when she doesn't meet her own academic standard so I am looking forward to that.
TheHoneybadger
AG
Ag86Hotard109 said:

Sent three kids through SV. Great grades all in Top 5%. Comal gave them a great start to their education from elementary junior high and high school.... No scholarship but all went to A&M and graduated. Married Aggie spouses. One flying Blackhawks, and 2 teachers. But.....ain't never gonna win state in football until Larry Hill is gone... good coach...good record...but I think hes jinxed.
You are 100% correct about that jinx. See I have history with SVHS but my current concerns are to see what the school has become in 2021. It was two decades ago that I was mixed in with the area and the school. I was at all of the State Championship games that SV was playing in. Denton-Ryan and then Southlake Carroll. I still remember the game with Southlake that SV was about to win and when that field goal was kicked, Larry literally fell to his knees. I believe Chase Daniel was the QB for SL and went on to play at Mizzou. Hill thought he had it won and that field goal just punched him in the gut. I have met him and spoken to him a few times. A very nice guy and a great coach, but not the coach that has that killer instinct that will take you all the way, just 97% of the way.
aggiejim70
AG
Sooner or later, it gets to a football discussion. When my sister and brother-in-law first moved out there my oldest niece was in grade school. My BIL got the arm put on him to buy Smithson Valley season tickets. So to help out and be a nice guy he did. Time passes and their tickets got better and better. Niece number three graduates and my BIL still likes going to the games and held on to the tickets. He was damn near getting death threats to turn loose of them 5 years after the niece graduated. He finally let them go.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
Macarthur
TheHoneybadger said:

Thanks for the latest replies. Really great feedback in general. I will take a look at the links that some of you have provided. She is into STEM and not athletic at all, although she certainly has the height for it. I think the academic competition will be great for her. It drives her crazy when she doesn't meet her own academic standard so I am looking forward to that.

I have two kids that have gone the STEM route and ours have gone through Reagan. It's a very competitive school that prepares kids very well through the STEM route. I have a son in the Aerospace Engineering program at A&M and Reagan prepared him very well. All the schools discussed are strong though.
azul_rain
I went to NISD school so I didn't really care for HS football. Idk never understood it unless you were from a small town and that was the biggest event. Maybe I grew up with going to too many aggie games, they were really boring to go to
you may all go to hell and i will go to Texas
GinaLinetti
AG
Dated a couple of **** kickers from SV back in the late 90s.

Other than sneaking beers in the twin sisters parking lot I e had no other run ins with SV alumn
dgrochett
As someone who played under Coach Hill I would have to disagree. We produce about 1-2 kids in each class that go on to play D1 football. We have always been undersized but still compete with with the top 6A high-schools in the state. Larry Hill is the best thing that happened to Smithson Valley. Sounds like your kids didn't play.
NastyNate
Cool it uncle Rico. Pretty sure he wasn't criticizing your dad/Coach Hill but was merely speaking tongue in check about the perceived bad luck of not winning it all.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.