Recommendations for Fredericksburg?

2,928 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
akm91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What are some recommended things to do/places to eat in Fredericksburg? Planning an upcoming weekend trip and wanted to put together a rough itinerary for the family.

Thanks in advance!
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
El Hombre Mas Guapo
AG
Stop by Weinheimer & Son and buy something
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
Enchanted Rock (reservations highly recommended)
Any of the million wineries
August E's or Cabernet Grill for proper upscale food. Make reservations, they are always full.
Play dominos and drink beer at the Castell, TX General Store
Rent a canoe in Castell, and play in the Llano River. Inquire at the general store.
Drive Willow City Loop
Drive up 87 to the Hiltop Cafe. Have lunch. Then drive Loop 648. Amazing views.
Guitar picker circles in Luckenbach. Bring your acoustic, if you have one.
Avoid all BBQ in Fburg. It's terrible. Drive to Blanco and go to Old 300 or go to Coopers in Llano. Take 2323 to Llano off of 87. Much prettier drive than just going up Hwy 16.

LCE
AG
Pacific War museum

Altstadt brewery is nice. Usually some German Oompah band playing. They have a tractor museum as soon as you pull in.

I usually walk around drinking beer while wife shops.
OilFieldIRI
S
Prepare yourself to be walking amongst the horde.
p_bubel
It's been years, but I made the drive up to Silver Creek for the schnitzel regularly.
Sgt. Hartman
AG
Eat a burger at Alamo Springs and watch the bats fly out of the old railroad tunnel
wadd96
AG
There is a new place opening up. Owned by Lance and Boo Eaker. I've had their food in Houston, it's pretty good.

I believe they got all their permits in order for an opening in short order.
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
agdoc2001
AG
Get lunch at Vaudeville, head to Ron Yates for a tasting, dinner at Cabernet Grill. Avoid Crossroads.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
wadd96
AG
Also, Hilmy and Calais are really good. French Connection is good. Obligatory shout out to visit Garrison.
88planoAg
AG
Mighty hot for Enchanted Rock. Take lots of water.
If they bring good BBQ to town, it will kill Mac's and Backwoods, which is fine with me.

I hope they are gonna prepared to handle crowds. This place is starving for good bbq (which is probably why they are moving in, I guess).

It's almost as if this town has some kind of anti-bbq quality shroud hanging over it. If that's the place going in on Main Street, with our land rents being what they are, a 2 meat plate might have to be $40.
wadd96
AG
2 meat plates are going to be that high due to beef prices!
Eaker BBQ is open. Never been more disappointed than today at lunch. I don't know how they managed to do it, but the fatty brisket was dry and there was no hint of smoke in the meat. The jalapeno sausage had potential, but it was served at room temp. Gochujang ribs were ok. Mac n Cheese was nothing special. The beans were good. Really disappointing overall.

It seems as if there is some kind of force field over Fredericksburg that causes all BBQ joints to suck.

The best BBQ in Fredericksburg is still either in Blanco or Llano.
loveaTm
AG
Thank you!! Everyone recommends Crossroads and it's way past it's prime as is the skills of the chef. Nothing special at all compared to August E's and The Cabernet Grill.

As for Cabernet Grill, we just went for the first time this past weekend and I can't say enough good things about it. We were going with my husband's cousin and wife who we are close to. They are from out of town and this was way high end for their budgets. They come to SA a couple times a year and then we spend a day in Fredericksburg. Normally we have a nice lunch at Grape Creek or something and then often go back to Helotes for dinner - but I mentioned it after I saw it on Texas Bucket List and they wanted to try it.

I was nervous it was going to be overrated and leave them feeling like they had wasted a lot of money. We all four loved it. Each ordered something different and all tasted what the other ordered and it was all very, very good.
Whitetail
AG
Enchanted Rock (reservations highly recommended required)

fify
wadd96
AG
Agree on Crossroads. We ate there in October and I wasn't impressed.

We liked Western Edge when we were there in January.
wadd96
AG
I shared your feedback with Lance. Hopefully you'll give it another shot and ask for Lance when you are there.
Thanks. Fredericksburg is desperate for good bbq.

I'm not picking on them, but it wasn't good. I'll give them another shot.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.