Best chicken fried steak in SA?

11,502 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by 210
lotsofhp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If you go to Radickes I'd suggest the jalapeƱo chicken. It's fantastic. Never had their CFS but I'm sure it's good.

I'll put another vote in for good time Charlie's. Very good
wadd96
AG
I hate myself. Been in SA since last night. Sister and I have been working on the parents aging/medical/legal/daily living issues... I didn't get to go to Cora's. Frozen pizza for dinner.

Would love your prayers and dead chickens to ask the Good Lord for strength... Both for us and my sister, and mom and dad...
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
Sgt. Hartman
AG
Has Alamo Cafe closed? Theirs used to be edible
muleshoe
AG
wadd96 said:

I hate myself. Been in SA since last night. Sister and I have been working on the parents aging/medical/legal/daily living issues... I didn't get to go to Cora's. Frozen pizza for dinner.

Would love your prayers and dead chickens to ask the Good Lord for strength... Both for us and my sister, and mom and dad...
done.
WBBQ74
AG
Took the rib to Tip Top last fall for lunch during the Branch Covidian era. CFS and onion rings were still good BUT they had stopped making their trademark Chocolate Meringue Pie which was a MAJOR downer for me. Perhaps they started it back up since the relapse of The Lone Ranger & Tonto's mask edicts.

Alamo Cafe is not worth it. Good Time Charlies is a decent CFS. Where is this MK Davis at?
Rattler12
WBBQ74 said:

Took the rib to Tip Top last fall for lunch during the Branch Covidian era. CFS and onion rings were still good BUT they had stopped making their trademark Chocolate Meringue Pie which was a MAJOR downer for me. Perhaps they started it back up since the relapse of The Lone Ranger & Tonto's mask edicts.

Alamo Cafe is not worth it. Good Time Charlies is a decent CFS. Where is this MK Davis at?
Corner of N Flores and Poplar
PuryearFratDaddy
AG
Oopsie!! Was my wife's response.it was Lulu'sglad we were wrong, will have a laugh when we grab a CFS at MK Davis soon.

(Used to go there to eat when 18-20 and back in SA as they never carded, prob we acted like adults until we left, circa 1990)
gigemags-99
AG
Tip Top Cafe is awesomejust make sure the episode of diners, drive ins, and dives featuring them hasn't aired in the previous couple of days, or you'll be waiting forever.
BoozerRed78
AG
Lot of good answers, here's another: https://www.barandgrillsanantonio.com/
A New Hope
Two step bbq has a good chicken fried steak or chicken fried chicken.
LawHall88
AG
PuryearFratDaddy said:

Oopsie!! Was my wife's response.it was Lulu'sglad we were wrong, will have a laugh when we grab a CFS at MK Davis soon.

(Used to go there to eat when 18-20 and back in SA as they never carded, prob we acted like adults until we left, circa 1990)
Chicken fried steak and a schooner...
Quote:

At M.K. Davis, the big schooners hold 32 ounces (a quart!) and are the size of your head. It's a two-handed job to lift these babies for a toast, and the come out ice cold. The glasses are stored at sub-freezing temperatures where they take on a thin exoskeleton of ice. When the suds hit the glass, that frozen water breaks off like tiny icebergs cast adrift in a microscopic diorama of the Arctic Ocean, creating a frothy cap of boozy sea foam.

All that for $6.99. The price of admission to simply gaze upon the bar's baroque velveteen wallpaper should be higher. There is also a daintier 20-ounce schooner for $4.99.
https://www.expressnews.com/food/bars-drinks/article/The-best-deal-on-an-ice-cold-schooner-of-beer-is-16341370.php?utm_campaign=socialflow&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=twitter.com
Agsttt
Radicke's Bluebonnet Grill on W.W. White just north of I-10 is outstanding! Everything they serve is fantastic!
Allen76
AG
Radickes and most other restaurants in that WWWhte area close around 2 pm except for Bill Miller & McDonalds. During the mid-day hours that they are open you will feel safe and will be among a large group of plumbers. Electricians. Steel fabricators, warehouse people. Etc, which is strong evidence that it is good food.

There is a lot of violent crime in that area at night. One time about 30 years ago as I recall a man was killed near the street right by Radickes late at night. The victim was the owner or son of the owner of the Mexican restaurant across the street from Radickes.

I have eaten at Radickes a few hundred times as I used to work in that area for many years.
BrazosBull
AG
Let me start by saying that I have been a regular at Antlers Cafe for several years and always enjoyed it. This past Friday the wife and I made the drive out to Spring Branch for another expected good meal. NOT ! We both ordered the chicken fried steak as we have so many times before but this time it was absolutely awful. I would tend to at first blame it on the shortage of workers in the kitchen or a new cook. But I can say that the grease that it was fried in was horribly dirty and way overdue for a refresh. It was an awful taste from dirty grease as well as being horribly overcooked. I also had the fried okra and you could quickly tell it was fried in the same nasty grease. This is just not like Antlers to serve food like that so I will give them another chance. If it is not a whole lot better then they can write me off their customer list.
BoozerRed78
AG
Bill Millers is doing another run of CFS, so I got one today for the first time. It's not the best, but it was by far the crunchiest, I don't know what they put in their coating, but I'm pretty sure you can hear someone eating it 25 feet away.
ValleyRatAg
AG
Good time Charlie's and Longhorn Cafe (original on Blanco)
aggiejim70
AG
Go check out the CFS at Blake's in McQueeney.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
GirlFriday09
AG
Antlers in Bulverde is the best, in my opinion.
reneb98
AG
Sherry's Texan restaurant
rwtxag83
AG
mccjames said:

Ha! My company is across the street from Radickes! Damn good chicken fried steak.

My list

1. tip Top cafe
2. Josephine Stree
3. Good time Charlie's
4. MK Davis
5. Bluebonnet Cafe (Radikes)

Aaaaahhh, Josephine Street! Anyplace that has neon signs in the window that say 'STEAKS' and 'WHISKEY' can't be ALL bad!
Greater love hath no man than this....
AG
I used to like the one from Bobby J's.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/bobby-js-old-fashioned-hamburgers-helotes
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.