Property Tax Protest

2,310 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Redstone
The Lurker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone have a recommendation for a local firm that does protests for residential property tax?
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
https://texags.com/forums/62/topics/3109194

From before and another link in there with some more info.
Bluff Rat
AG
Bump. Just seeing if anyone has had luck doing this and is it worth my time. I have a feeling that no matter what I do the appraisal district isn't going to change anything.
NastyNate
I've always protested it with the county myself. The minimum fee with using a company was just never worth it. I've done it every year I've lived in my house (7 years) and had had varying degrees of success every year. The first year is always the hardest because you basically need to build a master list of comps in your neighborhood/surrounding area. Then you just update it every year. I used to just argue that my property was valued much higher than homes across the street or in other areas of the neighborhood and it always worked. Seemed like they just gave me a break for trying. A few years ago I looked closer at what they would send me and took notice of how they value each home and noticed that they were applying an incorrect home characteristics to my house. Basically their system had that my home was 50-75% stone and the rest stucco when in actuality it is the opposite. That alone was being valued at $15k. The morons just never update so I have a great argument each year. I also benefit from the fact that there are about 10 other homes in my neighborhood that have the same floor plan but with varying elevations. Those are easy comps because they are all below my value. I include a picture of the other house and then mine and conclude that they are basically the exact same home but they are being assessed at sometimes a $25k difference.

In short, I would never miss an opportunity to protest and unless you own a million dollar home, using a protest service just isn't worth it. You'll learn the process and what works and what doesn't. Build a spreadsheet and keep pictures of your home and comps in a file and use those every year.
AG
Due date to submit is mid May. Take pictures of the issues you have at your house. They do limit the # of photos so make sure and be efficient. I have a very small roof leak that shows up every time we get a turd floater like last night. I'm going to have pictures of that and several other things to push the valuation down. Agree with Nate, you can do it yourself and it really doesn't take that long.
88planoAg
AG
We have successfully protested the last 3 years. We've done it due to our home needing repairs. I haven't argued against comps, they intentionally use confusing formulas to subtract or add value (ex we don't have a pool, if a comp has a pool they subtract an arbitrary amount, etc).

This year our land value went up for the first time since we've owned the house (2009). I think that will be harder to argue. Fortunately (unfortunately) we still have issues; need a new roof, leak in one room, etc. It is best to have both pics and written repair estimates. Be quick if you do an in person protest, the board appreciates organized and quick presentations.
AG
That was my issue, comps they listed in my area where all two story or two story with pool and I'm single story with no pool. I don't know how to argue land value, but everyone's in my neighborhood has gone up the last two years so I know they are cooking the books.
Redstone
AG
North Central. 289 was evaluation.
262 last year. I requested that amount, but didn't put much effort into appeal. I accepted today 275.
NastyNate
That's good! I'm hoping for similar success. I submitted all the evidence for my house and some property I own in Bexar County over the weekend so I'm expecting to receive the offer any day now.
NastyNate
Heard back on my undeveloped lot that I own. They assessed it at $135k and dropped it to $127k (what I paid for it early last year). I asked for $115k but that was just a shot in the dark. I accepted the offer because we aren't talking about too much in actual taxes owed and it's not worth my time. Spent about 20 minutes prepping the protest/evidence so I'll take it!
Pendragon12
AG
Protested mine in north central. Last year was $420, this year $474 (capped at 460ish). Protested using recent comps (I just quoted them, no attachments) that showed market value puts my house at a max of $435 and they accepted.

I mean, my home value has gone up. But when the house next door is more updated than mine, has an awesome pool and fully landscaped yard, etc, and sold for significantly less per sq ft than what BCAD appraised me for, something is off.
NastyNate
I heard back on my house today. Assessed at 329k and I asked for $316k based on comps and they offered $316.5k. I accepted.
Redstone
AG
As could as could be expected
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.