San Antonio Restaurants

7,267 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Broncos
Halconblack
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thank you for the note on Luby's. I opened an account with Frost in their old downtown building just before they moved to the new one. They had carpet murals on the wall behind the counter. I asked them if they were going to take them with them and they laughed.

On La Fonda it might just be a neighborhood bias. However, we dine out a lot and I try to stay fairly objective. Of what I would consider the big four upscale Tex-Mex restaurants inside 410 I would say La Fonda has the best food, followed by Paloma Blanca and Rosarios. I would say the Soluna has the best Drinks followed closel by the others. Paloma Blanca has the best indoor seating. La Fonda blows them all away for outdoor seating area (the covered patio at Soluna has always been a little odd to me).
v/r
Sher Thing
AG
My order would be

SoLuna
La Fonda on Main
Paloma Blanca
Rosarios

I'd slide Mirasol and Fogata above La Fonda if you wanted to expand it.
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
I ate at LaFonda on main last night.

Pato Fideo
Carne Asada Tampequena

Wife had Chile Relleno.

Food is very good, but it's not Tex-Mex.

Bluff Rat
AG
I don't know much about this Oaxacan Mexican Food but the best puffy tacos in SA are at Teka Molino off of San Pedro. Ate there Saturday night and the queso is pretty weno as well.
Agswinning
Silo Prime downtown is a hidden gem for fine dining. Great date night venue. Piano player in in the dining room.
mjfrog
AG
Taqueria Y Mariscos El Marinero on Pat Booker by the base is very good for ceviche, and we like their Chicken burrito, pozole, and chips y salsa out of the drive thru lane. Very affordable and high quality. I hope revealing my secret doesn't make it hard for me to get timely service. But ah, hell, they deserve the bump. I think they're every bit as good as El Buccanero for ceviche.

Another upscale Mex that I really like is actually a Central Amer. place in the Rim: Gloria's Latin Cuisine. Atmosphere is clean and high tech, comparable to SoLuna/LaFondaMain/LaFogata/PalomaBlanca. Food is very reasonable. and what can I say, I luv me some plantain. Lot's of half-off appetizer happy hour opportunities. Check 'em out!

One that get's overlooked is Mi Tierra. Most make the mistake of getting some budget Texmex. Get the slightly upscale stuff like a Chile Relleno, and they're damn good, especially for one of the few upscale places open late at night (not sure their COVID hours).
Burdizzo
AG
Sher Thing said:

My order would be

SoLuna
La Fonda on Main
Paloma Blanca
Rosarios

I'd slide Mirasol and Fogata above La Fonda if you wanted to expand it.

You know how I can tell you're an 09er?
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
Ate at El Mirasol last night. Pretty damn good, but not as good as the original La Fogata.

I will say that the salsa at El Mirasol is awesome.
mjfrog
AG
Also glad to see a Cabo Bobs in SA. If they expand, there'll be no use for Freebirds. Hate to say it, but the "bird is getting tired and devolving not evolving.
End Of Message
AG
Outlaw Kitchen
Broncos
I knew I could count on TexAgs to help with food recs. Thanks for all the recommendations.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.