San Antonio Restaurants

7,196 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Broncos
CaptnCarl
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking for some good grub in San Antonio including BBQ, street tacos, Mexican (Oaxacan not texmex) and anything else noteworthy. Doesn't have to be fancy, but great service is always a plus.

Tell me, what are y'all's favorites?
BrazosBull
AG
Aldaco's on the Hill off Stone Oak Parkway.
wadd96
AG
2M BBQ.
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Smack's Chicken Shack

Went there today and holy **** they're the best chicken sandwiches I've ever had in my life. I had a Big Peach. Fried chicken breast (requires two hands), honey, peach jam, candied jalapenos, and cream cheese. Wife had a Big Smack and their sauce is really good. They have plenty of others and you really can't go wrong.

Check out their Instagram https://www.instagram.com/smackschickenshack/?hl=en
bam02
AG
Guajillo's for Mexican Mexican.
End Of Message
AG
Cascabel for Mexican
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
bam02 said:

Guajillo's for Mexican Mexican.
Office use to be just down the road from there. Good food, not TexMex.
littledude
AG
Carnitas lonjas
Halconblack
AG
I really can't believe we haven't started the "Where to eat in San Antonio" thread. Paul, I feel like you are slacking.

In terms of an answer to your question I will give my favorite and runner up for each:

Mexican:
La Fonda on Main. A fusion of Mexican and some TeMex. People may argue the taste at other restaurants but the service and outdoor atmosphere set this place apart.

Paloma Blanca on Broadway.

BBQ:
2M is in the style of Franklins where you have to get in line and they sell out in the early afternoon. That being said:
2M: for the taste.
Smoke Shack: very good food and great atmosphere opportunity with PigPen out back.

Street Tacos:
North Saint Mary's strip. There are several here. If you really want a good food experience then grab three friends and you can start Lil Death for oysters, then Curry Boys for their bbq bowl, keeping going north to Tacos Regios and then finish at Singh's for the Banh Mi or the brisket bowl.

Tacos Regios: been in business for a long time. They used to catch all of the traffic coming out of Hard Bodies. They still do good business.

Special Recommendation:
Wednesday night wing special at Hot Joy in Southtown. Spam fried rice is great if they have it.
v/r
CaptnCarl
AG
I thought surely there was a thread, but couldn't find an all inclusive one. I'm sure others will appreciate the recs in the future as well.

Thanks for all the recs. I am running out of meals to try them all.

Though I have not been able to vet, a few locals have also recommended Brassiere Mon Chou Chou, Maverick, Cured, and Clementine.
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
I'm still a fan of the original La Fogata on Vance Jackson.

LaFonda on Main is still very good, and I agree with Paloma Blanca as well.
jgh85Ag
AG
For ceviche, I have not found anything better than El Bucanero. The rest of their food is meh to not that good.
NastyNate
Haven't tried the Ceviche there. Will need to try it. Rosario's has always been my go-to for good ceviche.
aggiemeg06
AG
CaptnCarl said:

Looking for some good grub in San Antonio including BBQ, street tacos, Mexican (Oaxacan not texmex) and anything else noteworthy. Doesn't have to be fancy, but great service is always a plus.

Tell me, what are y'all's favorites?
Agree on 2M and Smoke Shack. I also like Two Bros. off Wurzbach and West Ave. It's not BBQ, but I also like Benjie's Munch on Bitters. They have chicken sandwiches, burgers, etc. Family owned and everyone is so nice.

Street Tacos: El Pastor es mi Senor off Huebner/Bitters.

In general, I love El Mirasol (1604/Blanco or at Alon). Get a chispa and they do serve street tacos, but I pretty much love everything on the menu.

Oaxacan-style mexican: Los Azulejos on NW Military in Castle Hills. Amazing ceviche and mole enchiladas. I also like Sabor Cocinabar on McCullough Ave. Try the enchiladas mixtas!

Whoever recommended Cured, Southerleigh, etc. was spot on. Great places!
A New Hope
Ay Chiwawa is good.
Ranger1743
AG
Pollos Asados Los Nortenos for amazing Mexican chargrilled chicken.
Talon2DSO
AG
El Pastor Es MI Seor is also owned by an Aggie. She has that and Yellowfish Sushi
superunknown
AG
Is taquitos west ave still amazing?
aggiemeg06
AG
Talon2DSO said:

El Pastor Es MI Seor is also owned by an Aggie. She has that and Yellowfish Sushi
I didn't know that - very cool! My husband and I go as much as we can!
aggiemeg06
AG
superunknown said:

Is taquitos west ave still amazing?
I haven't been in a while, but every time i'm there, the line is always super long.
superunknown
AG
Used to live near their 2nd location on Nacogdoches. Just as good there as the original.
SoTxAg
AG
Saw that Pastor Mi Senor is moving over by the medical center on Wurzbach. Sucks, liked having a close by taco shop.
aggiejim70
AG
Mexican:

La Fonda on Main. A fusion of Mexican and some TeMex. People may argue the taste at other restaurants but the service and outdoor atmosphere set this place apart.

That's old school, I bet you loved the food at the Luby's in the Frost Bank.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
Macarthur
I second El Mirasol. Great food.
Aquin
AG
El Mirasol has closed. Sad
aggiejumper
AG
The moved to 1604 East of Blanco.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
aggiejumper said:

The moved to 1604 East of Blanco.
Drove by last night and the lot was PACKED.
Aquin
AG
Thanks that is good news.
Producers_96
AG
There's also an El Mirasol at Alon Market.
16Ag18
AG
If anyone likes Lemon Chicken, this place called Chin's Garden on Huebner and Bitters has the best Lemon Chicken.
Halconblack
AG
La Fonda on Main old School? You must be an outer looper (I mean 410, not 1604). La Fonda on Main is packed all the time by the Tri-Cities (Monte Vista, Olmos Park and Alamo Heights) crowd.
v/r
AgPediRPh
AG
NastyNate said:

Rosario's has always been my go-to for good ceviche.
My favorite ceviche as well. Whenever I have guests in from out of town, I take them to Rosario's. Great drinks as well.
aggiejim70
AG
WRONG ......I'm an 09'er Aggie. Grew up right by the AH police station. Weren't that many from Alamo Heights heading to A&M back in the day.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
Halconblack
AG
Well Aggie Jim, your age group crowd packs La Fonda on the regular in 2021.

I am curious about this "Luby's in Frost Bank." Where and when was that?
v/r
aggiejim70
AG
There was a Luby's in the Frost Bank close to the Court House. It closed years ago when the one on Main and 35 opened. It made the Luby's in Alamo Heights look like it was serving over seasoned food.

You're right about the clientele at La Fonda on Main. My peers and I will just have to agree to disagree. The mystique of that place is lost on me.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.