Land Bridge at Hardberger Park

2,769 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by rwtxag83
Good Bull Jones 17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone else think this is really cool? Definitely want to check this out when they finish it this fall.

https://www.philhardbergerpark.org/land-bridge
bam02
AG
Gonna be awesome
PLUM LOCO
AG
$23 million to build, how much will they spend to train the animals to use it?
AggieRob93
AG
PLUM LOCO said:

$23 million to build, how much will they spend to train the animals to use it?
Bipeds or 4-leggers?
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Should have built it for the $10MM and used the $13MM elsewhere.
Good Bull Jones 17
AG
I was floored that they were able to raise $10MM from private sources. That's pretty damn good.
MookieBlaylock
AG
23 million for that piece of crap
Meanwhile just tearing down all the surrounding woods
azul_rain
Why would it cost 23 million ?
you may all go to hell and i will go to Texas
bam02
AG
Wow I hadn't seen the price tag
BlackLab
AG
They should've expanded the intersection at NW military instead.
azul_rain
Eff yes, once you get to That intersection by Alon it's a **** show
you may all go to hell and i will go to Texas
SanAntoneAg
AG
I remember when NW Military was one lane coming and going back in 1980. Way before Wurzbach Parkway was a glimmer in Hardberger's eye.

We used to bowhunt the Voelcker Ranch as kids. Growing up in Oak Meadow, the ass end of Castle Hills Forest had streets cut but no homes. It was full of deer and turkey and a short walk from the house. There were some nice bucks in those woods.

The land bridge idea is a waste of thought, engineering and money. They should have had the foresight to figure that sheet out when they designed Wurzbach Parkway to traverse their park.

Instead, it's the puro San Antonio way. Build the sidewalks first and then figure out where people walk and then come back and drop the $$$ to fix it.

Besides, with buildout surrounding the park, a land bridge isn't going to make a fookin difference for biodiversity or any other bull sheet reason they can concoct.
Gig 'em! '90
04.arch.ag
AG
The bridge is a cool concept but I doubt it is functional in any of the environmental reasons they claim and although the 23MM is a chunk of change its not that expensive of a justification for some environmental circle jerk for the COSA parks dept. Its a magazine pet project for the city to show how eco-conscious they are.
PLUM LOCO
AG
They could have put a tunnel under Wurzbach a lot cheaper but they needed a monument to the efforts.
azul_rain
Yep, this is just eco terrorism for COSA
Good Bull Jones 17
AG
How many of y'all regularly use San Antonio parks? Maybe the reason I'm excited is because I regularly use Hardberger Park. If you don't use the parks, I can see how it feels like a waste of money.
azul_rain
I go to freidrich more often than hardberger
Good Bull Jones 17
AG
Also, I was just looking up the 2017 bond (The source of funding for the $13MM), and at the time it passed the city wasn't projecting any property tax increases to fund it. Did that turn out to be the case? I only just bought a home this summer, so I haven't been paying attention to property taxes before that.
Burdizzo
AG
Good Bull Jones 17 said:

Also, I was just looking up the 2017 bond (The source of funding for the $13MM), and at the time it passed the city wasn't projecting any property tax increases to fund it. Did that turn out to be the case? I only just bought a home this summer, so I haven't been paying attention to property taxes before that.

"No property tax increase" is a smoke and mirrors comment. Your taxes can go up due to your evaluation going up, but if the local politicians keep the rate constant they can claim they "didn't increase taxes". Yet the money out of your pocket increases.

The reason your taxes "don't increase" is because the city factors debt service into their budget every year. As soon as they pay off bonds from past elections they have another round of bond projects in the queue for the next election. Very rarely to successive bond elections borrow less money than the previous bond election.

This is a neat project, but I agree with SanAntoneAg that there are better places for the city to spend this money.

San Antonio has a lot of mixed up priorities.
Good Bull Jones 17
AG
Burdizzo said:

Good Bull Jones 17 said:

"No property tax increase" is a smoke and mirrors comment. Your taxes can go up due to your evaluation going up, but if the local politicians keep the rate constant they can claim they "didn't increase taxes". Yet the money out of your pocket increases.

The reason your taxes "don't increase" is because the city factors debt service into their budget every year. As soon as they pay off bonds from past elections they have another round of bond projects in the queue for the next election. Very rarely to successive bond elections borrow less money than the previous bond election.

This is a neat project, but I agree with SanAntoneAg that there are better places for the city to spend this money.

Gotcha. In the wake of big bond packages, do you think appraisers get pressured to be aggressive on property evaluations?

For the sake of me becoming more informed, what are some of the things San Antonio would do well to spend on instead?
SanAntoneAg
AG
My wife and son run in Hardberger frequently. Land bridge? I n the words of crazy uncle Joe, Come on, man!

As accurately described above, they could have planned for a pedestrian underpass back in the design phase of the project.

And regarding animal use? Unless the wild animals are trained, as also mentioned above, it's worthless. The rut will kick in every November and you'll have dead deer on the Parkway because they forgot or didn't know that they were supposed to use the land bridge.

Boondoggle, friends.
Gig 'em! '90
SanAntoneAg
AG
I'm all for investing in more park space.

Which leads me to another point. All this acreage that is being bought up to protect and preserve the aquifer...make it available for public use somehow. Allow TPWD to offer special hunting opportunities. Allow the public to hike/run/bike on the property.

Denying limited public access, with aquifer protection in place, is bull crap.
Gig 'em! '90
AgCat93
AG
Can't wait to see photos of roadkill near this structure when complete.
Burdizzo
AG
Good Bull Jones 17 said:

Burdizzo said:

Good Bull Jones 17 said:

Gotcha. In the wake of big bond packages, do you think appraisers get pressured to be aggressive on property evaluations?

For the sake of me becoming more informed, what are some of the things San Antonio would do well to spend on instead?

Bond elections are usually multi- faceted. There are multiple packages to vote on - streets, drainage, parks, libraries, public safety, etc. This was a parks project that leveraged private and public money to build it. I give credit to the city for making the parks foundation chip in for a good amount of it. That said I think a lot of the smaller, neighborhood, parks around town could have benefited more thatln one grandiose project. I also think we could have gotten several linear trails projects for what the taxpayers are spending on this land bridge. Something tells me maintenance costs on that thing will make it an albatross around the parks department budget.
WBBQ74
AG
Look at the TCEQ online map for the Edwards Recharge Zone. The Wurzbach Parkway (WP) is south of the magic line.

I spent a year of my professional life working on the WP schematic layout back in 1989. What is now Hardberger Park was just the 'woods', i.e., the old Walker Ranch/Voelker Tract property that lots of folks had tried to develop for years. Folks that owned it just did not want to sell. We had no idea this area would be a park someday.

CoSA spends the money it gets and it is never, ever going to be enough. Parks are usually built in floodplains because that land can't be used for anything else and is basically economically worthless.

For decades the 'Environment' is a catch all passion jar for whatever folks of various persuasions want to pour into it. Everyone likes trees except for when they get into the way of YOUR stuff. Protecting the aquifer sounds great in the abstract until you get hit for the bill yourself on something. OPM is easy to spend.

This fancy 'land bridge', as opposed to a 'water bridge', is nice for the occasional hiker but I am thinking the deer are going to go wherever they want. They read poorly.

So what should CoSA really be doing with the tax money? Fix roads and drainage stuff. Things people REALLY USE.
rwtxag83
AG
Waste of money. Gets lots of oohs and ahhs from the animal lover set, but there's so many other places to spend it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.