Possibly moving to Castle Hills

3,790 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Reload8098
Halconblack
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am looking at moving to Castle Hills. As many of you know I am a big Monte Vista person. The reason for the move is to get a slightly bigger yard, a quieter street and a pool. We also have a baby on the way and the early education in Castle Hills looks good. I am curious of any pros or cons anyone can think of for moving to Castle Hills for someone from San Antonio.
Gig'em!.
v/r
p_bubel
Check for obvious foundation issues. But, you probably already knew that.
BigfootYancey
AG
Just moved from Castle Hills area back to south of downtown. Castle Hills has some incredible lots and trees. Fox Hall Ln and some of the streets west of Military are awesome. The commercial streets are in pretty permanent decline save for a few blocks around Military and West Ave. But it is an extremely convenient place to live.

You mentioned schools. I believe a small area of CH is zoned through to Churchill which is much stronger than Lee. I think though that CH Elementary is pretty good, but that is the part zoned through to Lee. If I had kids in that area I would do private schools.
Halconblack
AG
I am looking in the area around Foxhall. It is zoned for CH elementary and Lee for High School. Antonion is close but that is $11k a year. We work downtown and spend quite a bit of time in South Texas or I would consider looking further North in Boerne. Alamo Heights just doesn't have the lot size that I can afford.
Paul, definitely looking at the inspection.
v/r
SanAntoneAg
AG
Don't exceed the posted speed limit and use your turn signals.
The Lurker
AG
You're closer to Aggie Park!

I think the major issue at Castle Hills city hall the past couple years is future drainage and street projects. I think there was a $10 million proposal at some point. Not sure on the update for this but maybe this could cause city taxes to increase??? but are probably still lower than SA.

I don't live in Castle Hills so can't speak directly for Castle Hills PD but to me the best advantage of the small local municipalities is you have your own police force providing quicker response times and more patrols and you don't have to rely on SAPD.

Producers_96
AG
Can't help much other than to say that we're closing on a house in Castle Hills tomorrow. If anything pops up over the next couple of weeks, I'll let you know.
Hendrix
AG
Not rain on your parade, but I'm not a big fan of CH over the next 5-10 years. That area seems to be in decline. Would rather be in Shavano or Hollywood Park if you want a big lot.
dg77ag
AG
Have lived in Castle Hills most of my life, have considered moving over the years yet the convenience and centrality of Castle Hills was key to our staying. You are dealing with older houses, large yards with mature trees, and a quiet neighborhood. Many young families are moving in, you have great nearby choices in public and private schools.
Halconblack
AG
I will drive through Hollywood park again but we are looking at acre plus lots in Castle Hills. I don't see a lot of that in Hollywood park. The other areas that we were looking at was Hillcountry Village but we have never been lucky enough to see something in our price range. I also like Oakhills but nothing that's been available that we really like. Plus the schools aren't nearly as good at the elementary level.
v/r
mccjames
AG
I would respectfully disagree, my family has lived in Castle Hills since 1968. There is a massive turnover right now in young families. I grew up on Manton and in my youth there are tons of young kids. The family age increased and the houses got dated. However now most houses have been updated and renovated, and lots of young families have replaced the old ones.

I would also look at St. George as a school option.

I moved to Monte Vista, but my brother still lives there.
Easy come, Easy go
bam02
AG
Check out this home at Realtor.com
$475,000
4beds 3 baths
102 Encino Blanco St, San Antonio

https://b1iw.app.link/vD21kXVVO7

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/102-Encino-Blanco-St_San-Antonio_TX_78232_M71614-34907?cid=other_shares_core_ldp

This one looks pretty nice. Great schools and access to 281 or 1604 and shopping/restaurants. Almost an acre lot
Halconblack
AG
It does, but there is no pool. Trying not to do another San Antonio summer without one.
v/r
Redstone
AG
We are friendly with Tim Howell and Frank Paul, two long-time civic leaders.
The Lurker
AG
Random note but Castle Hills is very underappreciated for the quality local restaurants. Sushihana and Clementine are some of the top spots in the San Antonio area. Los Azulejos is fantastic and heard great things about Azro.
Producers_96
AG
Update -- had three different sets of neighbors introduce themselves to us as we were working around the house on Sunday. One gifted us a watermelon, another offered to let us use his tools whenever we liked, and yet another gave us the lowdown on the other neighbors (in a good way).

I don't think we've even spoken with three different people on our street at the house we're moving out of in the last year or so...
dg77ag
AG
Halconback, looks like a house on the corner of carolwood/banyan just went on the market, has a pool.
_mpaul
AG
Redstone said:

We are friendly with Tim Howell and Frank Paul, two long-time civic leaders.
Interesting. Very interesting.
Producers_96
AG
dg77ag said:

Halconback, looks like a house on the corner of carolwood/banyan just went on the market, has a pool.
That just so happens to be the house across the street from ours...
p_bubel
Heh. I have a good friend on Glentower and Banyan.

He's currently putting a pool in. Struck an old septic system that no one in the city was aware of.
dg77ag
AG
p_bubel said:

Heh. I have a good friend on Glentower and Banyan.

He's currently putting a pool in. Struck an old septic system that no one in the city was aware of.
They should have known, I'm actually up the street, I know exactly where the septic was in my back yard, all these houses originally were on septic in the 50's.
p_bubel
Never marked on a recent survey. City of Castle Hills didn't know about it either. He's the second owner, so I guess the previous just buried any trace of it and moved on.
dg77ag
AG
I knew the previous owners, his second wife was from new york and probably didn't know.
p_bubel
Yep, that's them.

Castle Hills got excited thinking there might be an unmarked bomb shelter in the city limits. Whoops.
CyclingAg82
AG
The Lurker said:

Random note but Castle Hills is very underappreciated for the quality local restaurants. Sushihana and Clementine are some of the top spots in the San Antonio area. Los Azulejos is fantastic and heard great things about Azro.
I totally agree with those three restaurant recommendations......Clementine is awesome.
Halconblack
AG
Four years in, how do you like it? We ended up in Terrell Hills but are looking for a larger house within our budget and are considering Castle Hills again. We will keep our kids at St David's till elementary because we really like the community. But we are looking for five bedrooms.
v/r
Producers_96
AG
Four years in and we absolutely love it here. The city services are much better than in SA. When you call the police, they show up within 3 minutes at the most. Twice weekly trash pickup is also a plus. Almost everyone we've met here loves living in CH. We got involved in the community right off the bat and made several good friends as a result. I even somehow found my way on to the city council...but that's a story for a different time.
Reload8098
AG
BigfootYancey said:

Just moved from Castle Hills area back to south of downtown. Castle Hills has some incredible lots and trees. Fox Hall Ln and some of the streets west of Military are awesome. The commercial streets are in pretty permanent decline save for a few blocks around Military and West Ave. But it is an extremely convenient place to live.

You mentioned schools. I believe a small area of CH is zoned through to Churchill which is much stronger than Lee. I think though that CH Elementary is pretty good, but that is the part zoned through to Lee. If I had kids in that area I would do private schools.

Have you looked in Northwood? We just bought a house in thar area and our yard lot is just under 1/2 an acre. We're going to increase the footprint and renovate most of it but that neighborhood is nice and going up in value.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.