AWACS

1,732 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by NastyNate
NastyNate
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone see it flying over northern SA tonight around 8pm? It looked to be flying a normal approach into SAT over northern Stone Oak. Pretty cool looking!
bam02
AG
No I would have loved to catch that.
lp01
AG
Yes. We live by the airport, and had one take off over the house.
bam02
AG
I did see an Osprey come in low right over me on Wurzbach Parkway heading to the airport a year or two ago. That was bad ass.
caddy
Does anyone know why the military jets fly into SAT versus Randolph AFB or Lackland AFB?
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
caddy said:

Does anyone know why the military jets fly into SAT versus Randolph AFB or Lackland AFB?
I thought it was practice runs. Plenty do land at Lackland.
NastyNate
I believe they are all just touch and go's at SAT. I can't think of a reason they would be landing there normally.

On a side note, was a bit disappointed that the Blue Angel and Thunderbirds flyovers were cancelled for San Antonio. Especially considering the military presence here.
agforlife97
AG
caddy said:

C-5s, C-17s and F-16s routinely fly in and out of Lackland/Kelly. All USAF C-5s and a F-16 squadron are permanently stationed there. At Randolph you mostly only see T-38s and occasionally other trainers.

I have seen E-3s and KC-135s fly into Lackland/Kelly a few times. They do maintenance on a lot of the larger planes there.

Various military planes do touch and go's at SAT all the time.
NastyNate
FYI, the thunderbirds are doing the San Antonio flyover on May 12th. Haven't seen the flight path yet.
Speedbird087
AG
agforlife97
AG
Saw a KC-46 flying into Lackland/Kelly yesterday. Pretty cool.
NastyNate
Just got back a little while ago from watching the Thunderbird flyover with my daughter. We live in stone oak so we went to an area where they were looping around. They were low!!! Very cool.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.