BBQ in SA

22,879 Views | 121 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by LandArchSA
azul_rain
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I just ordered from Smoke : location off e.commerce in St Paul square. has to be the sorriest display of bbq i have ever scene, worse than rudy's, worse than bill millers. it took 2 hours for them to bring my order when i arrived at the pre-determined time by them. I got the food and drove home and wow, for $90 they gave you scraps. The brisket was all grisel and scraps, the sausage was weird and was not your traditional link. The chicken was decent. The creamed corn was runny as hell and or watered down, hipster ass bbq

end of rant
STL_aTm
AG
Make the 30min trip north to sisterdale and stop at blackboard BBQ. Fantastic BBQ and a beautiful area to drive around.
azul_rain
will do, stay the eff away from smoke
The Lurker
AG
I honestly thought Smoke shutdown. Smoke Shack on Broadway best place in San Antonio IMO.
texan12
2M bbq off WW white is legit too
azul_rain
That's where I should've gone
mmtexasace
AG
2M is my favorite, but Smoke Shack is a close 2nd. 2M has better brisket but Smoke Shack has better ribs imo. Also Smoke Shack has a sandwhich called the Mack Daddy, thank me later.
LCE
AG
Went to Holy Smokes off St Mary's on Easter. 30 minute wait for dry pulled pork and very average green beans and Mac. Only 2 people in line.
azul_rain
i find it pretty sad san antonio has such mediocre bbq for being next to bbq country
babie_kreauxda
AG
SMOKE SHACK BROADWAY

it goes haarrrwwwdddd son!!!
p_bubel
South BBQ

2011 Mission Rd
San Antonio Texas, 78214
AgCWby90CS
AG
Blanco BBQ is pretty good.
CWby '90
LawHall88
AG
The Lurker said:

I honestly thought Smoke shutdown. Smoke Shack on Broadway best place in San Antonio IMO.
Granary, which was better than Smoke, shut down.
texan12
The Lurker said:

Not that it matters, but Smoke Shack not having sliced bread would have to upset the BBQ Gods.
azul_rain
I prefer tortillas
Burdizzo
AG
San Antonio has decent BbQ. You just have to know where to go. Smoke Shack is good. Run by the Conger family. Good folks. BBQ Station is pretty good as well. Peacocks are a good family too. Two Brothers on West Avenue is good, albeit a little pricey IMO. There are some other good ones mentioned above as well.

But yeah, I thought Smoke was highly overrated the time I ate there.
A New Hope
With the shutdown, just drive to Austin, traffic is non existent. I did this two weeks ago. La barbecue. Winner winner.
azul_rain
Overrated is being generous
Burdizzo
AG
Emphasis on "highly"
SW AG80
AG
AgCWby90CS said:

But very inconsistent. Since the lockdown we have been there 2X to pick up baked potatoes. Get brisket or sausage with it.
AgCWby90CS
AG
SW AG80 said:

AgCWby90CS said:

But very inconsistent. Since the lockdown we have been there 2X to pick up baked potatoes. Get brisket or sausage with it.
so was Bill Millers for a while there, and that's border line fast food. We've not had and issue with Blanco BBQ. We call ahead our order and then pick up what we ordered. They've been consistent for us.
CWby '90
BBGigem
AG
Picked up a family meal from Burnwood '68 off Redland last week. Close to the house so wanted to help local places. Never had eaten there before. I will eat any BBQ but my family can be picky. Cream corn was wonderful. There were fights over who were getting seconds. Beans were very tasty too. I really enjoyed the brisket. My favorite is Coopers BBQ and this wasn't quite up to that but far better than Bill Millers. (not bagging on Bill Millers as it is ok in a pinch) Sausage went over real well too. My family usually only want check breast but all they had were leg quarters. Even with that, there wasn't any chicken left over if that tells you anything. The family pack I got was very similar in amount of food and price as Bill Millers with the exception of the sides. The size was a little smaller than Bill Millers sides that go with their large family pack. I will definitely go back to Burnwood.
Snowball
AG
Augies by The First Tee and Japanese Tea garden over off mulberry and Trinity univ. is good. Good pulled pork, they do beef ribs too. I like their sauce, its a sweet sauce with lots of black pepper. Very tasty.
PA24
AG
Bill Miller has better than decent bbq.
SLF11
AG
I would say "consistent" is the best way to describe Bill Miller's. Decent is a generous descriptor of Bill Miller's... coming from someone who eats it regularly.

2M is damn good BBQ, top to bottom. A worthy destination.
Smokeshack is only a slight notch below them.
Señor Chang
AG
I've been to Burnwood twice. It's a little pricey. The first time it was great and the ribs were amazing. The second time it was disappointing. I will probably go back a third time and give them another try.

I'm a big fan of Two Bros off of Wurzbach and West Ave.
AgCWby90CS
AG
Seor Chang said:

I've been to Burnwood twice. It's a little pricey. The first time it was great and the ribs were amazing. The second time it was disappointing. I will probably go back a third time and give them another try.

I'm a big fan of Two Bros off of Wurzbach and West Ave.
I work down the road from Two Bros and prefer Blanco BBQ.
CWby '90
Señor Chang
AG
I'll have to go back to Blanco BBQ. I've only been there once, but it was when they first opened up. It wasn't very good, but I'm sure they have improved since then.
Ulrich
I need to try Burnwood this weekend. It's really close to where I live, but google doesn't even show it when you search for barbeque.
BBGigem
AG
Ulrich said:

I need to try Burnwood this weekend. It's really close to where I live, but google doesn't even show it when you search for barbeque.
They are kind of hit and miss on being open. I drive by it every day. Sometimes they are open and sometimes they aren't. When I did order, I had driven by and saw they were open so I called in an order and picked it up right afterwards.
LawHall88
AG
Seor Chang said:

I'll have to go back to Blanco BBQ. I've only been there once, but it was when they first opened up. It wasn't very good, but I'm sure they have improved since then.
I've never been impressed with the brisket, but they smoke hams for Thanksgiving and Christmas that are very good.
phatbc
Another vote for the Congers' places. Smoke shack is solid and their Pigpen joint next door is fun for the fam/brunch when the weather is nice. Don't sleep on the pretzel with queso.

Still need to hit 2M and South BBQ and kitchen. The latter has been getting a decent amount of buzz lately.
AggieMD95
AG
I live between two bros bbq and Blanco bbq. Both good. But I think two bro's is better and more consistent

B&B smokehouse down on southwest military is good too. But a little pricey for a south side hole in the wall
Ulrich
Burnwood was out of food when I called late this afternoon.
AggieRob93
AG
Smoke Shack is my favorite in town.

Big Bib is pretty good, as is Two Bros.

When my office was on the east side, Smokehouse and Ed's Smok-n-Q were on regular rotation, and both really good. Of the two I'd give Ed's the nod.

Don't have much love for Blanco. It's serviceable, and a step above Bill Miller's, but to me on a level below those mentioned above.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.