Boerne, Tex Fair Oaks Ranch vs Balcones Creek vs Kinder Ranch

3,737 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PA24
CheladaAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Having a tight race on choosing a house in each of these new master planned communities. The basic criteria seems to check the boxes...quality of family life, school districts, properties tax rates etc. Does anyone have any insight to these areas that could change the outlook? I know Balcones Creek is having a small local college built next to the subdivision in the next few years but doesn't seem to be too bad an issue. Any advice very much appreciated.
Picard
AG
Boerne is full. Go to Kinder Ranch.

88planoAg
AG
Picard said:

Boerne is full. Go to Kinder Ranch.

Lol - true - longer answer -

Boerne area is one of the fastest growing small towns in Texas and is suffering severe growing pains. The infrastructure (streets, schools) is struggling to catch up/keep up. Traffic is bad, specifically around the high school (hw 46) at certain times of the day. For instance, I would never consider buying in Herff Ranch, as there is one exit that is clogged for 2 hours in the morning and afternoon - one entrance to subdivision that contains the carpool entrance to the HS and an elementary school. Multiple neighborhoods are under construction on 46 with the same design - one entrance onto 46. 46 is undergoing major renovations and is bumper to bumper morning and afternoon.

I-10 in the area between 1604 and north Boerne is its own mess of construction. Will not be resolved for the next 2-3 years or so.

FOR is not a classic master planned community. It is a bedroom community with very very limited retail within the 'city'. (it is incorporated but only 7000 residents). It is a pleasant semi-rural area that is also growing. There is no community pool (only the club), limited parks (and a huge HOA battle about increasing dues to pay for those we have) no sidewalks by design....if you are coming from a master planned community this will be a big change. I moved from Plano 10 years ago and there are huge differences.

As far as schools - we have had a good experience in BISD from kinder to high school. It is a highly competitive environment with a whole lot of overachieving kids (and the parents to go with). And again, growing pains. The isd is having a hard time outpacing the growth. New schools just opened include a MS (making a total of 3) and several elementaries. This has helped with crowding but will continue to be a problem moving forward.

I cannot speak with experience about the Kinder Park area except to say that from pics it seems to be the definition of master planned, and the overall area over there is more in line with suburbia than Boerne.
CheladaAg
AG
Thanks 88planoAg...very good info. I do hear much of the grief for those that reside there about the traffic/congestion and I empathize. I have been told that FOR is more of a rural community that has a suburban community feel to it. Good insight on the schools; I do know there are certain areas in Boerne where taking kids to school is a bit burdened because of the traffic and distance but just depends where you live in the area. I will miss the convenience of my kids taking their bikes to school if we move there.
88planoAg
AG
You didn't mention jobs and commuting. When we moved here the commute to SwRI was 35-40 minutes, a bit longer in the afternoon. We moved to FOR to be on the edge of BISD.

Now my husband is lucky if the drive home is under an hour. There are limited ways to get up here - while I-10 isn't the only way, it is the only one that is direct. If you try to go around to avoid traffic you spend just as much time in the car; just possibly less stressed.
CheladaAg
AG
Understood about the work commute. I am already living here but renting in other parts of SA and work near the city airport. I've tested the communte and also know co workers that live near the area that have confirmed the 30-1hr commute times (depending on time of day). Seems like anywhere north of SA is going to be this commute timeframe. It is frustrating that there is only one or two routes to get to any of these areas (city wasn't prepared for the growth). If there was anything good about Houston commutes, it's that there are more than a few alternate routes to get somewhere.
PLUM LOCO
AG
Picard said:

Boerne is full.

Post of the Day!
Turf96
Boerne used to be a great little place to be ran by people with common sense. Say what you want but the old German folks had a plan and it was a really good one. Middle 80's early 90's the imports started to move in and common sense left the building so to speak. Now the great place to call home is just Northern San Antonio. There are worse places to live but she ain't what she used to be. Too bad our society hasn't figured out how to create jobs not centered in one location. San Antonio may have been a dump but the surrounding towns used to be awesome. Now look at New braunfels, Boerne, and Bandera.

Now to answer your question they all will be fine and all have issues. FOR is probably your best bet for where you work and to give you a bit of room. Sometimes older has a little charm. I promise you Boerne 1985 was way better than Boerne 2015.
PLUM LOCO
AG
"Boerne Gone Forever!"
AggieBusDriver
AG
I've lived in Kinder Ranch for 5 years. We like it quite a bit - it's grown a lot in that time but overall it is still a great place.
atmtws
AG
PLUM LOCO said:

"Boerne Gone Forever!"
Came here to post this. I grew up here, and each time I go back to visit the family, it breaks my heart.
Gil Renard
AG
Amazing how burbs of SA (how few) develop and you got Bubba's with that dumb bumper sticker
PLUM LOCO
AG
When you been here as long as I have that bumper sticker is not "dumb" it is "sad" really.

I don't understand why anyone would want to endure the drive and wear and tear on a car to live in a sub-division just like the one in every city in America.
NavasotaAg
S
PLUM LOCO said:

When you been here as long as I have that bumper sticker is not "dumb" it is "sad" really.

I don't understand why anyone would want to endure the drive and wear and tear on a car to live in a sub-division just like the one in every city in America.

Our family moved here because of the church (St Mark) and the schools above all else, as well as the nearby hill country destinations. Luckily I work out of town on a rotation while my wife stays with the kids. The BTxGF crowd has sentimental reasons to be mad, especially when stuff like 17 Herff happens. But we have also formed lasting friendships with many of the old guard and have done our best to blend in and become a part of the community. I bought in Herff Ranch 6 years ago when they finished the very back section, and love our home and neighborhood being so quiet back beside the nature center.
f2foxes2001
AG
Come on down inside the loop! We are nice people! We don't bite, I promise! Schools are great in AHISD and in NEISD. Plus, you can see your kids more often....LoL!
PA24
AG
we get that electric train to Dallas, then Boerne will return to days of old.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.