Ideas needed for a German student in San Antonio for a weekend

2,719 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Rusty GCS
Rusty GCS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'll be in SA the weekend after the 1st football game. I will have my family (3 kids under 9) with me and our new foreign exchange student, a 16 year old girl from Germany.

At that point she will have been in America for about 3 weeks but all in Louisiana where I live. She did vacation once to NY and once to LA. This will be her first time to SA and Texas.

Any thoughts on what to do? I'm not from SA. Only visited twice for a couple days each time.
p_bubel
Where are y'all planning on staying?
MookieBlaylock
AG
Sea World is lovely that time of year

p_bubel
Single day and not staying downtown...

Start with a quick tour at the Alamo, wander across the street and down to the Riverwalk. Take that to San Fernando Cathedral. Have lunch at either Casa Rio or MiTierra (not super-awesome TexMex but the locations and ambiance make up for a lot)

Hop in the car and cut through the main part of the King William neighborhood real quick and down to Mission San Jose. Finish up with dinner at The Pearl.
aggiejim70
AG
p_bubel said:

Single day and not staying downtown...

Start with a quick tour at the Alamo, wander across the street and down to the Riverwalk. Take that to San Fernando Cathedral. Have lunch at either Casa Rio or MiTierra (not super-awesome TexMex but the locations and ambiance make up for a lot)

Hop in the car and cut through the main part of the King William neighborhood real quick and down to Mission San Jose. Finish up with dinner at The Pearl.
Good advice, but instead of going to Casa Rio, go HEB and get four or five cans of Old El Paso and heat 'em in a microwave. You'll have a better meal at a tenth the cost.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
Rusty GCS
AG
Arriving Friday and leaving Sunday. Staying at Hyatt Place San Antonio/Riverwalk

Will do Sea World Saturday for the small kids. Hopefully just about 3-4 hours tops.

The area of Texas has a lot of German ancestry. I wonder if a German immigrant would be interested in that? Like eating at Schilo Deli that google tells me is German. Or if that would be like me (a coonass) trying gumbo in Europe. Hard pass.
Federale01
AG
You could do a quick side trip to New Braunfels for lunch/dinner and eat at one of the German places there. It will give you a chance to show her how important German immigration was to Texas. In fact, I would probably skip Sea-world and just take the kids for a swim there. Being German, she would probably love a chance to swim in the Comal at Lamda Park as well. They tend to love nature based excursions like that. Outdoor culture and the environment is pretty big for them.

SA and NB will show her two of the major cultural influences in Texas.

$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
I would definitely take her to see the missions, obviously including the Alamo, but also Mission San Jose. I love all of them but if you only have time to hit one or two make it those.

Also, for a taste of home, take her to Beethoven Maennerchor. It's legit German.
Builder93
AG
My experience with German friends visiting is that they want to do "Texas" things. See the Alamo, rise horses, see the country. They tend to be very interested in going places and seeing nature. She will probably comment about how often we eat, how much we drive, and will be surprised at how little we move.
Ragoo
AG
Stay in SA
See Alamo
Do the river walk for dinner only
Go to New Braunfels and Gruene
Go to Fredericksburg
Go to luchenbach
Rusty GCS
AG
Am I the only person that finds the Alamo underwhelming?
Ragoo
AG
Rusty GCS said:

it is fine for a quick hour buzz through
AgPediRPh
AG
I like to take guests to dinner at Rosario's and walk around market square.
Ragoo
AG
https://newbraunfels-tx.net/german-heritage.htm
SanAntoneAg
AG
Rusty GCS said:

Pee Wee's Bike was there. In the basement.

Then again, maybe it wasn't.
Gig 'em! '90
BoozerRed78
AG
Here https://www.beethovenmaennerchor.com/
ABATTBQ11
AG
It's a little late, but government canyon is nice and has some good trails. You could also take them to Fredericksburg.
Federale01
AG
So did the exchange student have fun?
Rusty GCS
AG
Yes, fun was had. Although College Station and San Antonio are hotter than she was used to. It's a different kind of heat than we have in Lake Charles which she wasn't used to either until she moved in with me.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.