Best place to live for single, young professional

2,467 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by aggieSO
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Will be moving to SA in a few months and I'm looking for some recs on where to live. I'm single and still go out a lot with friends. Also have a dog that I like taking out to parks. My job will have me working all over San Antonio, so I'm not focused on one specific location. I'm looking to rent a place, preferably. I have no hard upper limit on my price range and would much prefer to live somewhere nice. I've had friends recommend areas like around The Rim and the Pearl, and I've had someone recommend that I live at the Eilan. I was wondering if anyone else had recommendations about areas, or specific places to live if you were in my situation.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
bam02
AG
I would pick the Pearl 100 times out of a 100 times based on that info.
p_bubel
The Rim and Eilan would suck, frankly. It's fine as a place if your working near there but trying to get all around town from there everyday just wouldn't be close to my first choice.

Stick around the Pearl.
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
You're single and want nice places to go out (nightlife) then I suggest Elian or the Rim ONLY because there isn't much nightlife down at the Pearl area. Not yet at least. Don't get me wrong the Pearl is awesome for hanging around by day, but by night not so much.
GinaLinetti
AG
What!? We go down to the pearl all the time. There is to do around there. Sams. Grayson has a bunch of stuff. Easy uber to burleson beer yard or st Mary's to friendly spot.
p_bubel
Yeah, figured he was trolling.
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
Ok let me rephrase what I said. Having lived at the pearl within the last 3 years, there are things to do, BUT just a handful. If you like a variety of different things then go to Elian. Just my opinion.
Obi Wan Ginobili
PrestigeWorldwideAg12 said:

Ok let me rephrase what I said. Having lived at the pearl within the last 3 years, there are things to do, BUT just a handful. If you like a variety of different things then go to Elian. Just my opinion.

Please elaborate, because I live in the La Cantera/Rim area, and while I wouldn't care to live anywhere else, there ain't sheeeiitttttt to do up here. I don't think a movie theatre counts as nightlife.
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
No... George's Keep is cool, the Block, Little Woodrow's on 1604, NOW the Rustic, Angry Elephant, NOW Hills and Dales, Cooters... I grew up here so to me that area is just more centralized. Traffic sucks balls but I mean 281 isn't great either. I drive 281 to work everyday 28 miles and it is horrible. But hey this is just my opinion to each their own. I guess if you don't want people's opinions don't post on board?
LCE
AG
Rim area over Pearl. Much more options

The Lurker
AG
It comes down to you finding the best fit for you.

For me, +1 for the area around The Rim to live and hangout.

Pearl and its surrounding area is a great place to visit though.
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
Appreciate the recommendations, seems to be about the same conversation/arguments that my friends had when I asked them. I will say that I've hung out around the Rim a few times and they do have quite a bit of spots:: The Rustic, Barrel&Bowl, Top Golf, The General Public. Only been to the Pearl once, and that was to go eat at La Gloria. It will probably come down to the apartments that I look at.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Sniffing Accountant
AG
Southtown is probably a good option for you too. Lots of apartments being built in that area, and the Mission Reach part of the River Walk is within walking distance (literally across the street in most cases) and it really isn't as congested foot traffic wise as the Pearl is, so you definitely have more options with what to do with your dog (biking, kayak, jogging, etc). The nightlife is probably a little better with the Blue Star and other bars in the area. N. St. Mary's also isn't very far away (maybe a 5 minute uber ride). You're also right between the South Flores HEB and the Nogalitos HEB,

Honestly it seems like living at the Pearl itself would probably be a PITA, especially with all the foot and car traffic and that there aren't any grocery stores within walking distance.
Sher Thing
AG
Im 28, single, and still go out a bit. I would rather live near the pearl if I was you. Lots of nightlife that most probably don't know about. Also great to be centralized.

However, The Eilan is by far and away the best apartment complex in San Antonio and its not even close. They are really well put together and are hands down the best when it comes to overall quality and amenities. Only way I would pick the Rim area over the Pearl area is if you decide on the Eilan.

I assume if you choose the Pearl you will probably be looking at 1800 Broadway which is also a good complex but its not as nice as the Elian. Can Plant is the same as 1800 broadway but you're paying extra for location.

Probably comes down to how much time do you actually spend at home. If you are more active and out and about the Pearl still probably wins for me. If you are at home a lot, I would choose the Eilan.
AggieDarlin
AG
Why not Brooks CityBase?

It's Time.
AggieDarlin
AG
SoTxAg
AG
Why not both?
BTA2014
AG
I live at the Eilan now and I would highly recommend it. You are a $5 Uber away from a lot of cool places. Plus the amenities (gym and pools(all four of them)) are the best I have ever seen in an apartment.
dg77ag
AG
My daughters looked all over town and were sold on the Eilan, they will be moving in shortly and are looking forward to everything this area has to offer.
Kramer
AG
Austin
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
Kramer said:

Austin
I could never move to Austin. Too dirty and stuff
jeromePOWell
AG
When are you moving exactly? If you settle on the Pearl area I have a house about 5 minutes from there with 2 rooms I am looking to rent out. You would have full access to the kitchen and everything, let me know if you are interested and I'll send you some more details on it

email is username@aggienetwork.com
aggieSO
Monte Vista (because it's in between the great Alamo Heights/grocery stores and downtown)
Southtown
Pearl
Austin

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.