SA Doctor Recommendations

5,379 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by mjfrog
Kashchei
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Moved to the area a few months ago and just need to get set up with a good general practitioner who can do physicals, write prescriptions, etc. An Aggie would be even better... All the threads I've seen are a few years old, so maybe there are some new doctors in the area.

As a guy I would prefer a male doctor, ya know, in case there's any male issues...

TIA!
Whitetail
AG
Dr Scott Thomas. Alamo family practice.
tx1c
AG
I've been here a while and WAS going to Dr Thomas, but recently the office refused to make an appointment for me even when I volunteered to pay out my pocket. The ladies on the phone, the 'gatekeepers', were quite lacking in their patient relation skills. They were pretty adamant about not letting me make the appointment and repeated several times that they were instructed to operate this way. Hopefully, it's not a competence issue, just poor business.

Someone I work with goes to Dr. Tamayo. I haven't tried to go yet, but I believe his ex-wife may be an Aggie, so I'm thinking he might be, too.
Whitetail
AG
Are you a current patient or a new? My first appointment was booked out 2-3 months.

Sounds completely opposite to my experiences there.
SA-AG72
AG
I have an Aggie MD working for UT medicine. Go figure.
tx1c
AG
existing patient.
reedag12
AG
I was looking for doc in SA a few years ago and asked on TA thread for suggestion. Dr. Scott Thomas came up and I have been seeing him ever since. Great guy, great Ag.
Tursiops93
AG
I took the TexAgs recommendation as well and started seeing Dr. Aaron King in Stone Oak. My wife and I really like him and the practice so far! http://medfirstoverlook.com
FIDO*98*
AG
I've been a rep calling on Dr Thomas for years. He's a great person, a good Ag, and a wonderful Doctor.

Ag86Hotard109
AG
Solomon Paley and wife are both aggies on sonterra across from hospital. He is in high demand by other physicians and drug reps as well. Excellent physician. Aaron king is excellent as well. So is Steven Bauer.
Tursiops93
AG
Just started seeing Aaron King, MD myself. I really like him and their office. MedFirst at Overlook Parkway.
Danther37
AG
Thread bump to find out any updated info on this topic of a general practitioner in SA. Location isn't exactly a big deal but I will consider it slightly.

Seems like so far through reading this thread Dr. Aaron King and Dr. Scott Thomas seem to dominate the recommendations.

Is everyone still in favor of one of these? and is there any new recommendations?

Thanks in advance, I appreciate it greatly!
bam02
AG
Can't go wrong. I know all of these docs mentioned and they are seriously as good as it gets.

King might be the only one accepting new patients, though, just because he is younger. He's one of the smartest people I think I've ever met, though.
Danther37
AG
Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.
SW AG80
AG
Thanks for the input everyone.
Whitetail
AG
FIDO*98* said:

I've been a rep calling on Dr Thomas for years. He's a great person, a good Ag, and a wonderful Doctor.

Bumping this. My Doc, Dr Thomas went Concierge. Fido, I took your Manny Rodriguez recommendation and set up an appointment. Thank you sir.

Follow-up -- Do you have any reco's for my wife? She prefers a female doc.
loveaTm
AG
I saw Dr. Amy Thomas until they went concierge. I just (on Friday) saw Dr. Juanita Sprute with Jefferson Family Practice for the first time. She isn't an Aggie but she came HIGHLY recommended and she was fantastic - thorough and personable and knowledgeable. I have MS and she knew my neurologist and just how she wanted things done, etc. it did take months to get an appointment though.
LCE
AG
My wife and I having been seeing Dr. Sprute for 20 years. She is awesome. Wife loves her. You can hear her coming down the hallway by her laugh.

poolct00
AG
Do y'all (40+ males) see a general physician or an internist?
I need to get a doc. Haven't been in years

Any additional recs would be great.

Thanks!

Brad
AggieRob93
AG
Moved to SA from DFW in 2009. First GP visit I had since then was Aug 2019, saw Dr. Larry Baros at Baros and Baros Family practice. Was pretty happy with the visit and the interaction. Went in for a wellness check and physical, ended up having a comp blood panel performed upon referral, as well as a referral to a derm doc. Went back for a follow up in Jan 2020, was just a satisfied with this visit as I was the first.

He talks fast, delivers a bunch of info, asks if there are any questions. I had no qualms with his approach or manner.
Whitetail
AG
Bumping this again - Dr Juanita Sprute was not accepting patients, do yall have any other women doctors that you can recommend?

loveaTm
AG
When I originally needed to look for a new doctor, I asked on Facebook. I went with Dr. Sprute but other suggestions on that post included Drs. Shiela Pinkston, Marybeth Harr, and Regina Lee.

If she wants an ob/gyn, I've seen Rene Saenger for years.
bam02
AG
Dr. Harr is awesome!
Ag86Hotard109
AG
Drug rep here....Carmen Cawley is a good internist. I've known her for many years. Stays on top of all the latest data.
SA Ag 91
AG
Looking for a male (preferably) internist in the medical center.

No known issues - just need to see a doctor since I have not seen one in 5 plus years.

TIA
mjfrog
AG
Any HCQ/Ivermectin friendly doctors in the area to recommend? Last visit with my current Doc, he was uneasy about prescribing something his parent company and AMA level colleagues would be willing to sign off on (don't recollect exactly how he put it, and it's been over a year since the discussion, so maybe that stance will be softened on my next visit). If not, it would be nice to have a back-up plan should this Covid insanity not go away. in the next year.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.